Howie

Default new dishwasher / stored in in cold garage

We just bought a new Kenmore dishwasher at a Sears outlet store that we are
temporarily storing in our below freezing garage .. is this a problem? Is
it true that there might be some water in it from testing at the factory? I
hope not, or we might have problems... the young guy at Sears didn't think
storing it in our garage would be a problem. Comments anyone?

Tom

"Howie" wrote in message
We just bought a new Kenmore dishwasher at a Sears outlet store that we
are
temporarily storing in our below freezing garage .. is this a problem? Is
it true that there might be some water in it from testing at the factory?
hope not, or we might have problems... the young guy at Sears didn't
think
storing it in our garage would be a problem. Comments anyone?

All dishwashers and washing machines are going to have a small amount of
water left in them from the factory. Not enough that freezing will hurt
them because many dealers warehouses and no delivery trucks are heated
anyway. Just wait sufficient time after install to let the water thaw
before turning on the machine so the pump isn't trying to turn while froze
up.

Duane Bozarth

Howie wrote:

will this little big of water (that will be ice) ruin the pump?

I'd say it would be highly unlikely unless there's a trapped area
somewhere in a plastic pump housing, but even then I'd expect enough
bypass to avoid a problem.

If, as someone else says, the manufacturers are shipping them w/ some
residual water, they certainly aren't always being kept in heated areas
before delivery...