Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Obsolete? (commentary)

I've got a Skilsaw 5250 with a cracked "upper guard assembly".
The "upper guard assembly" is the piece that goes over the top of the blade and attaches to the handle.
The broken place is at the back where the screw goes through from the blade height adjustment from the foot assembly.

Web searches show it as 'unavailble' and a couple calls to Skil say 'obsolete' (and no longer available).
They say that no others interchange.

I've got three Skilsaws. They work fine for my needs. I'm not slamming Skil in particular.
Oddly, all three model's covers look the same except for the labels and paint jobs.

Reason for my rant - what the heck can be obsolete about a saw part?
You can add a laser, change the color, whatever, but it's still a motor, a plate, and a sharp thing that goes roundy-roundy.

That's like having to junk a car instead of changing the oil filter.

Off my soap box.

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On May 24, 11:59 am, wrote:
[...]

The model becomes obsolete and parts with it...and, of course, even if
later saws were designed using the same dimensions and all from a
previous saw or even your model specifically, the parts inventory
system will stock them by the saw they're used with. So, even if a
present model would fit, unless you talked to an engineer or service
rep who just happens to know, there's no way for the body answering
the phone to cross-reference--ergo, the answer is "no interchange"
even if it might must be the same except for the cosmetics.

Guess you could try to do the swap and see if there are some details
that prevent the match....

In an ideal world, any such derivative parts if they existed would
continue to be listed with older models they would support, but it
just ain't a gonna' happen...

Posted to rec.woodworking

Try ereplacementparts.com; they show several housings that should work

--
Caveat to Yankee carpetbaggers:

If you do settle in the South and bear children, don't think we will accept
them as Southerners. After all, if the cat had kittens in the oven, we
wouldn't call 'em biscuits.