Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Obsolete? (commentary)

I've got a Skilsaw 5250 with a cracked "upper guard assembly".
The "upper guard assembly" is the piece that goes over the top of the blade and attaches to the handle.
The broken place is at the back where the screw goes through from the blade height adjustment from the foot assembly.

Web searches show it as 'unavailble' and a couple calls to Skil say 'obsolete' (and no longer available).
They say that no others interchange.

I've got three Skilsaws. They work fine for my needs. I'm not slamming Skil in particular.
Oddly, all three model's covers look the same except for the labels and paint jobs.

Reason for my rant - what the heck can be obsolete about a saw part?
You can add a laser, change the color, whatever, but it's still a motor, a plate, and a sharp thing that goes roundy-roundy.

That's like having to junk a car instead of changing the oil filter.

Off my soap box.