Posted to rec.woodworking

Default suggestions for adhesives to use on Ipe

Hello All,
Does anyone have any experience applying any adhesives to Ipe? I have
been asked to make a small memorial pedestal (12 x 12 x 9.5) that will
be the base for a small (6 x 9 )plaque placed along the 12x 12 face.
The plaque will fit into a routed depression made in the edge (or side
\) grain of a 9 board ganged beam that will look like it was removed
from an Ipe trellis that is nearby.This memorial will be outside. I
was not sure if Ipe was too "slippery" to let any adhesives stick to
it for a long term.
Any suggestions will be welcome. Thanks,
Marc

Posted to rec.woodworking

Subject

Outside = Epoxy

Lew
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
hlink.net...
Subject

Outside = Epoxy

Lew

Agreed. I have done two small outdoor projects with Ipe and Polyurethane
glue and all of the joints have failed.

Posted to rec.woodworking

if this has anything to do with abs vs. PVC glue, I have noticed PVC glue
(or the abs) contains Methyl Ethyl Ketone (MEK) and that is listed in my
book Understanding Wood Finishing by Flexner, and I have not seen MEK
elsewhere. Anyone know how successful this could be used as a good
stripper, especially since it will probably dry out before I need it again
anyway?
..
"Leon" wrote in message

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
hlink.net...
Subject

Outside = Epoxy

Lew

Agreed. I have done two small outdoor projects with Ipe and Polyurethane
glue and all of the joints have failed.

Adhesives & Picture Rails elziko UK diy 5 November 27th 06 05:34 PM
adhesives FAQ Dave Fawthrop UK diy 7 August 19th 06 12:04 PM
Adhesives Cicero UK diy 0 July 17th 06 09:58 AM
Adhesives question Ledz Woodworking 12 October 9th 05 05:42 PM
Wood Adhesives Dan O'Connor Woodworking 13 October 17th 03 11:50 AM