Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Adhesives & Picture Rails

I need to put up some picture rails quickly and I intend to glue them up.

Looking in Screwfix they have Gripfill Max and Gripfill 'Normal' which is
half the price of the Max version.

If the more expensive one helps me to do the job more quickly/easily, I'll
get it. Any recommedations?

TIA

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"elziko" wrote in message
k...
I need to put up some picture rails quickly and I intend to glue them up.

Looking in Screwfix they have Gripfill Max and Gripfill 'Normal' which is
half the price of the Max version.

If the more expensive one helps me to do the job more quickly/easily, I'll
get it. Any recommedations?

TIA

Beware if you have curved walls - then you're in trouble trying to get
picture rails to stick all the way along their length.

Andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Oh, also I've never really used these adhesives before - would one tube be
able to do about 16m of picture rail? Or will I need to buy more? I really
have no feel for this!

TIA

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy wrote:
Beware if you have curved walls - then you're in trouble trying to get
picture rails to stick all the way along their length.

They are straight-ish I'd guess a max of +/- 3mm, so I though I'd leave gaps
and fill once its stuck down.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"elziko" wrote

I need to put up some picture rails quickly and I intend to glue them up.

Looking in Screwfix they have Gripfill Max and Gripfill 'Normal' which is
half the price of the Max version.

I have used a few of these different products Pink Grip, Grabs Like Nails
come to mind, but the only one I will use in future is "No More Nails".
Grabs well but not instant so you can move the item a bit to fine tune
position.
In coolish conditions, gives you just the right amount of time to apply the
stuff, fit the rail and locate accurately. Don't dither about though to be
safe.
As others have said it will not hold well enough if either the rail or wall
are well off straight.
Have found N_M_N on offer in local Boyes shop, otherwise it is one of the
dearer ones.

Would be inclined to put two smaller beads of adhesive on rather than one
big one.
Check the tube for the coverage claimed.

HTH

Phil

Posted to uk.d-i-y

TheScullster wrote:
"elziko" wrote

[...]

IME none of this stuff works well without enough thickness of bead to
get a bit of suction going. I'd squirt 5mm min down the centre of the rail

32" TFT LCD TV no picture -- audio & backlight works kevin Electronics Repair 6 December 9th 06 04:48 PM
adhesives FAQ Dave Fawthrop UK diy 7 August 19th 06 12:04 PM
Adhesives Cicero UK diy 0 July 17th 06 09:58 AM
19" Daewoo tv chassis:CN-51 picture scrambled & black & white [email protected] Electronics Repair 3 June 30th 06 05:45 AM
kpr-4110 sony rear proj tv - no picture, good audio & me phazei Electronics Repair 0 March 24th 06 04:03 AM