Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default adhesives FAQ

AS this will probably be written by several people, I have Epoxy being
written in future.

I suggest that we use the following outline.

Generic type
============

Trade names
===========

What they are good for
======================

The Warnings
============

How to use them
===============
Posted to uk.d-i-y
LSR LSR is offline

Dave Fawthrop wrote:
AS this will probably be written by several people, I have Epoxy being
written in future.

I suggest that we use the following outline.

Generic type
============

Trade names
===========

What they are good for
======================

The Warnings
============

How to use them
===============

I have a book called "Chemistry in the Marketplace" which has a chart of
materials (metal, wood, stone, various plastics etc etc) as row and column
headings, and at each intersection it gives the best adhesive(s) for the two
materials. Not sure I can easily ASCII it though. Would this be helpful?
Maybe something similar is already out there.
--
LSR

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 18 Aug 2006 09:14:30 +0100, "LSR" wrote:

|Dave Fawthrop wrote:
| AS this will probably be written by several people, I have Epoxy being
| written in future.
|
| I suggest that we use the following outline.
|

| Generic type
| ============
|
| Trade names
| ===========
|
| What they are good for
| ======================
|
| The Warnings
| ============
|
| How to use them
| ===============
|
|I have a book called "Chemistry in the Marketplace" which has a chart of
|materials (metal, wood, stone, various plastics etc etc) as row and column
|headings, and at each intersection it gives the best adhesive(s) for the two
|materials. Not sure I can easily ASCII it though. Would this be helpful?
|Maybe something similar is already out there.

Might be, try posting it here
The uk.d-i-y FAQs are in html anyway.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
LSR LSR is offline

OK here's the chart. It will only align in a non-proportional font.The book
is dated 1998 so it's possible there may be some new, more appropriate
adhesives on the marrket now.

Wood Metal Rubber Flexible Rigid Fabric Paper
China Masonry
plastic plastic leather cardboard
glass
ceramics

Masonry # epoxy PU PU PU contact PVA
epoxy epoxy

China/ epoxy epoxy PU vinyl epoxy contact acrylic
epoxy
glass/
Ceramic

Paper/ PVA acrylic acrylic vinyl acrylic contact PVA
Cardboard

Fabric/ PVA contact contact vinyl contact contact
Leather

Rigid epoxy epoxy PU vinyl cyano-
Plastics* acrylate

Flexible vinyl vinyl PU vinyl
plastics*

Rubber PU PU PU

Metal epoxy epoxy

Wood PVA or
PU

PU = polyurethane
# = block co-polymer building adhesive such as GripFill, No More Nails etc
* polyolefins such as polyethylene, polypropylene must be flamed first

Source: "Selly's Quick Adhesive Guide".

--
LSR

Posted to uk.d-i-y
LSR LSR is offline

.... or try this as the formatting is rubbish
http://www.elessar.org.uk/adhesives.pdf

--
LSR

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 18 Aug 2006 22:41:26 +0100, Owain
wrote:

LSR wrote:
I have a book called "Chemistry in the Marketplace" which has a chart of
materials (metal, wood, stone, various plastics etc etc) as row and column
headings, and at each intersection it gives the best adhesive(s) for the two
materials. Not sure I can easily ASCII it though. Would this be helpful?
Maybe something similar is already out there.

I was going to suggest exactly that as a summary.

The FAQ is in HTML so a table shouldn't be a problem.

Owain

RS have a very comprehensive datasheet on adhesives, although its
quite a few years old it helps with some of the more strange substrate
combinations.

Go to www.rswww.com then infozone and there is a link "Guide to
adhesives " in the centre right of the page

There are about 10 pages on joint design and the different families of
glue and then a 30 page selection chart. Really needs printing at A3
though as the text is tiny.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

|LSR wrote:
| I have a book called "Chemistry in the Marketplace" which has a chart of
| materials (metal, wood, stone, various plastics etc etc) as row and column
| headings, and at each intersection it gives the best adhesive(s) for the two
| materials. Not sure I can easily ASCII it though. Would this be helpful?
| Maybe something similar is already out there.
|
|I was going to suggest exactly that as a summary.
|
|The FAQ is in HTML so a table shouldn't be a problem.
|
|Owain
|

|RS have a very comprehensive datasheet on adhesives, although its
|quite a few years old it helps with some of the more strange substrate
|combinations.
|
|Go to www.rswww.com then infozone and there is a link "Guide to
|adhesives " in the centre right of the page

Looks good :-)

|There are about 10 pages on joint design and the different families of
|glue and then a 30 page selection chart. Really needs printing at A3
|though as the text is tiny.

Especially as some pages are upside down, not to mention sideways on :-(

adhesives to stick building boards sm_jamieson UK diy 0 June 15th 06 04:14 PM
Adhesives question Ledz Woodworking 12 October 9th 05 05:42 PM
adhesives - 'sticking down' ceramic tile TO existing linoleum? "newtype" stuff? dave Home Repair 9 July 21st 05 07:30 AM
Ultra Violet Curing Adhesives [email protected] Metalworking 1 February 5th 05 11:10 PM
Wood Adhesives Dan O'Connor Woodworking 13 October 17th 03 11:50 AM