Ledz

Default Adhesives question

Maybe off subject, but many in this group will have much practical
experience of adhesives:- I have an instrument which has a thin card scale
which is attached to a brass plate- made in about 1960 ish. The card has
come away from the brass- what adhesive would they have used when it was
made?
I have tried simple paper glue ("Gloy" type) - used to be known as "gum
arabic" - fails . Possibly could use pva type glue but I don't think it will
stick to metal very well and if I get it wrong it will be all over the back
of the card and won't come off easily- card needs to stick closely to the
brass to stop things getting jammed - the extra glue layer may make things
too thick.
Any thoughts?

Teamcasa

"Ledz" wrote in message
Maybe off subject, but many in this group will have much practical
experience of adhesives:- I have an instrument which has a thin card scale
which is attached to a brass plate- made in about 1960 ish. The card has
come away from the brass- what adhesive would they have used when it was
made?
I have tried simple paper glue ("Gloy" type) - used to be known as "gum
arabic" - fails . Possibly could use pva type glue but I don't think it
will
stick to metal very well and if I get it wrong it will be all over the
back
of the card and won't come off easily- card needs to stick closely to the
brass to stop things getting jammed - the extra glue layer may make things
too thick.
Any thoughts?

Clean very well - Super glue

Dave

http://www.usenet.com
B a r r y

Ledz wrote:

I have tried simple paper glue ("Gloy" type) - used to be known as "gum
arabic" - fails . Possibly could use pva type glue but I don't think it will
stick to metal very well and if I get it wrong it will be all over the back
of the card and won't come off easily- card needs to stick closely to the
brass to stop things getting jammed - the extra glue layer may make things
too thick.
Any thoughts?

A thin layer of rubber cement?

David

Ledz wrote:

Maybe off subject, but many in this group will have much practical
experience of adhesives:- I have an instrument which has a thin card scale
which is attached to a brass plate- made in about 1960 ish. The card has
come away from the brass- what adhesive would they have used when it was
made?
I have tried simple paper glue ("Gloy" type) - used to be known as "gum
arabic" - fails . Possibly could use pva type glue but I don't think it will
stick to metal very well and if I get it wrong it will be all over the back
of the card and won't come off easily- card needs to stick closely to the
brass to stop things getting jammed - the extra glue layer may make things
too thick.
Any thoughts?

spray contact cement?

Dave
dadiOH

Ledz wrote:
Maybe off subject, but many in this group will have much practical
experience of adhesives:- I have an instrument which has a thin card
scale which is attached to a brass plate- made in about 1960 ish. The
card has come away from the brass- what adhesive would they have used
when it was made?
I have tried simple paper glue ("Gloy" type) - used to be known as
"gum arabic" - fails . Possibly could use pva type glue but I don't
think it will stick to metal very well and if I get it wrong it will
be all over the back of the card and won't come off easily- card
needs to stick closely to the brass to stop things getting jammed -
the extra glue layer may make things too thick.
Any thoughts?

PVA actually sticks well to metal but - as you said - it could mess up
the card. Not so much by a remainder if you have to take it off
(probably wouldn't be able to do so) but by wetting the card in the
first place.

Offhand, I think of two things...

1. Use the PVA but put it just on the metal and let it dry. Once dry,
iron on the card with a hot iron (PVA is thermoplastic). That would
obviate the potential problem of a liquid messing up the card.

2. Use spray contact adhesive like that used for mounting graphics (you
can get it at a framing shop). I don't think it will stick as well as
PVA but should be OK. If you needed to remove the card, lacquer thinner
is the solvent. Which might mess up the card's printing.

Someone suggested cyanoacrylic (Super Glue); personally, I wouldn't use
it in this case. Someone else suggested rubber cement...should be safe
but I have doubts about how well it would stick.

--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

B a r r y

Mike Berger wrote:
I use 3M clear spray adhesive for this kind of thing.

3M77 reminds me of thinned, sprayable, rubber cement.

Dave Hinz

On Fri, 07 Oct 2005 19:16:13 GMT, B a r r y wrote:
Mike Berger wrote:
I use 3M clear spray adhesive for this kind of thing.

3M77 reminds me of thinned, sprayable, rubber cement.

Yup. Slightly different smell, but sure acts the same.

Mike Berger wrote:
I use 3M clear spray adhesive for this kind of thing.

3M77 reminds me of thinned, sprayable, rubber cement.

Yup. Slightly different smell, but sure acts the same.

77 is one in a series ranging from post-it-note strength to stuff used
in the assembly of airfoil surfaces in aircraft. 77 isn't the
strongest, but it's toward that end of the range, IIRC
Frank Boettcher

On Fri, 7 Oct 2005 16:44:51 +0100, "Ledz" wrote:

Maybe off subject, but many in this group will have much practical
experience of adhesives:- I have an instrument which has a thin card scale
which is attached to a brass plate- made in about 1960 ish. The card has
come away from the brass- what adhesive would they have used when it was
made?
I have tried simple paper glue ("Gloy" type) - used to be known as "gum
arabic" - fails . Possibly could use pva type glue but I don't think it will
stick to metal very well and if I get it wrong it will be all over the back
of the card and won't come off easily- card needs to stick closely to the
brass to stop things getting jammed - the extra glue layer may make things
too thick.
Any thoughts?

Go to the 3M site. Lots of good application information on 77,90,
hi-tack76, etc. I've used them all at various times. read the specs
and see which one fits you're application the best.

Ledz

Someone in another group suggested shellac, and I think this is the way to
go- will try it later today. I've nothing against more modern techniques,
just want to try and do it as the makers would have done. Also shellac
should be reversible if things go pear shaped.....
Thanks for all comments
Regards Francis

"dadiOH" wrote in message
Ledz wrote:
[...]

Michael Daly

On 7-Oct-2005, "Ledz" wrote:

Any thoughts?

Double-sided tape - archival quality - from an art store.
It should stick just fine and the adhesive won't damage
the card now or in the future.

Mike
dadiOH

Michael Daly wrote:
On 7-Oct-2005, "Ledz" wrote:

Any thoughts?

Double-sided tape - archival quality - from an art store.
It should stick just fine and the adhesive won't damage
the card now or in the future.

Mike

Good suggestion.

--
dadiOH

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Good morning or good evening depending upon your location. I want to ask you the most important question of your life. Your joy or sorrow for all eternity depends upon your answer. The question is: Are you saved? It is not a question of how good Cuprager UK diy 0 April 21st 05 04:58 PM
To anyone sick of alt.hvac Matt Morgan Home Repair 87 April 8th 05 05:17 PM
OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
Plumbing Question Jeff UK diy 4 December 1st 03 01:49 PM