Posted to rec.woodworking

Default SF Bay area source for Redwood?

Looking for Select Heart or better, at a good price. Does anyone have a
favorite source around here? Most yards seem to have some, but I have not
found one that specializes in redwood or has particularly attractive prices
or selection. I would be happy to drive a little if that helps.

Cheers, Shawn

Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 19, 7:37 pm, "Rima Neas" wrote:
Looking for Select Heart or better, at a good price. Does anyone have a
favorite source around here? Most yards seem to have some, but I have not
found one that specializes in redwood or has particularly attractive prices
or selection. I would be happy to drive a little if that helps.

Cheers, Shawn

Shawn

You might try Big Creek Lumber in Santa Cruz, I have bought redwood in
Santa Cruz and it was better and cheaper that what I could get in the
South Bay area.

Good Luck,

Al

Posted to rec.woodworking

Muir Woods located about 12 miles north of Golden Gate bridge.
http://www.visitmuirwoods.com

Sorry could not resist

Keith

"Rima Neas" wrote in message
Looking for Select Heart or better, at a good price. Does anyone have a
favorite source around here? Most yards seem to have some, but I have not
found one that specializes in redwood or has particularly attractive
prices or selection. I would be happy to drive a little if that helps.

Cheers, Shawn

Posted to rec.woodworking

Try Plywood and Lumber Sales (PALS) in Oakland. They sell wholesale to
cabinet shops and contractors. I get my hardwoods there. If they have
Redwood it will be the best price a retail buyer can get. They are
open Saturdays too. Bad neighborhood but great people and prices.

They other place I get Cedar and construction type lumber is in San
Leandro or Hayward, around there somewhere. Called Golden State or
something along those lines. They are pretty good at giving advice and
prices over the phone. The other place is 84 lumber. Still better than
retail but usually not too helpful. A bunch of wanabee construction
guys who couldn't make it in the real world so they work at the lumber
supplier. You have to deal with there **** but they usually have stock
on hand.

BW

On May 19, 7:37 pm, "Rima Neas" wrote:
Looking for Select Heart or better, at a good price. Does anyone have a
favorite source around here? Most yards seem to have some, but I have not
found one that specializes in redwood or has particularly attractive prices
or selection. I would be happy to drive a little if that helps.

Cheers, Shawn

Posted to rec.woodworking

WD wrote in
:

On 27 May 2007 15:27:03 -0700, "SonomaProducts.com"
wrote:

Try Plywood and Lumber Sales (PALS) in Oakland. They sell wholesale to
cabinet shops and contractors. I get my hardwoods there. If they have
Redwood it will be the best price a retail buyer can get. They are
open Saturdays too. Bad neighborhood but great people and prices.

I use these guys, too. And I agree about the neighborhood. But good
people, and good product, at very competitive prices.

Someone told me Macbeath in Berkeley is pretty cheap, I have not been
there yet. http://www.macbeath.com/order/index.html

I can never get into Macbeath in Berkeley. Parking sucks. But they have
been there 50+ years, and they sponsor Norm on PBS...

I have abuddy who builds fences for a living. Walked away from the banking
business 30 years ago, because it was driving him crazy. He's the goto
fence guy in Contra Costa County. He uses Diablo Timbers, or something
like that, a wholesale only yard up in American Canyon, just north of
Vallejo. Really nice product, if you're the right customer.

Patriarch

Posted to rec.woodworking

Somebody wrote:

Someone told me Macbeath in Berkeley is pretty cheap, I have not been
there yet.

SFWIW, Here in L/A, Macbeath has been totally non competitive, everytime
I've asked for a quote.

Lew