Posted to rec.woodworking
Lee Lee is offline

Default inlay cutter

Seen a cutter for making the slot for border inlays and cannot find where to
obtain one. Seems like a handy plane (?) and would be better than using a
trim router. A pic is posted on the link. E-mailed Constantines with no
reply. Any idea ? yes I did google.
http://www.constantines.com/index.as...S&Category=127

Posted to rec.woodworking
Lee Lee is offline

WHAT???? I mean I know they make good tools BUT $75.00....Looks like I stick
with the router. That's an insane price.
"CW" wrote in message
ink.net...
That's a small router plane. Stanley used to make them. Lie-Neilson makes
one now.

"Lee" wrote in message
. net...
Seen a cutter for making the slot for border inlays and cannot find where

obtain one. Seems like a handy plane (?) and would be better than using a
trim router. A pic is posted on the link. E-mailed Constantines with no
reply. Any idea ? yes I did google.
http://www.constantines.com/index.as...S&Category=127

Posted to rec.woodworking
CW CW is offline

Seems like a pretty good price to me. Tell me, I assume you have a day job,
what's your billable hourly rate? Do you think one of those planes can be
made in under an hour, with materials?

"Lee" wrote in message
t...
WHAT???? I mean I know they make good tools BUT $75.00....Looks like I

stick
with the router. That's an insane price.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Lee Lee is offline

Take a closer look at the piece then look at the iron low angle block plane
for the same price. A whole lot more to that plane. I think that for what
machining there is and very limited parts involved it is grossly over
priced. 30-35 would be acceptable.$40 tops. I'm not saying things aren't
expensive today but is that piece really worth that kind of money.
"CW" wrote in message
link.net...
Seems like a pretty good price to me. Tell me, I assume you have a day
job,
what's your billable hourly rate? Do you think one of those planes can be
made in under an hour, with materials?

"Lee" wrote in message
t...
WHAT???? I mean I know they make good tools BUT $75.00....Looks like I

stick
with the router. That's an insane price.

Posted to rec.woodworking
tom tom is offline

On May 15, 9:38 pm, "Lee" wrote:
Take a closer look at the piece then look at the iron low angle block plane
for the same price. A whole lot more to that plane. I think that for what
machining there is and very limited parts involved it is grossly over
priced. 30-35 would be acceptable.$40 tops. I'm not saying things aren't
expensive today but is that piece really worth that kind of money."CW" wrote in message

link.net...

Seems like a pretty good price to me. Tell me, I assume you have a day
job,
what's your billable hourly rate? Do you think one of those planes can be
made in under an hour, with materials?

"Lee" wrote in message
et...
WHAT???? I mean I know they make good tools BUT $75.00....Looks like I

stick
with the router. That's an insane price.

God bless America. The value of an object is determined by what the
masses will pay for said object. You pay what you get for. Tom

Posted to rec.woodworking

The inlay cutter has been a round for a long time. The first one I
ever saw was on "The Woodwright's Shop." If I remember correctly both
sides of the inlay path were scribed first then you came in with the
cutter. It's more of a plane than a cutter.

On Wed, 16 May 2007 03:22:53 GMT, "Lee" wrote:

Seen a cutter for making the slot for border inlays and cannot find where to
obtain one. Seems like a handy plane (?) and would be better than using a
trim router. A pic is posted on the link. E-mailed Constantines with no
reply. Any idea ? yes I did google.
http://www.constantines.com/index.as...S&Category=127

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 16 May, 04:22, "Lee" wrote:
Seen a cutter for making the slot for border inlays and cannot find where to
obtain one.

Best one I've seen (in the Zachary Taylor book) was a custom-made
Holtey. Beautiful piece of work and wouldn't be too hard for any
metalworker with a lathe to make something similar. Similar tools,
but with less adjustability, are found from any of the musical
instrument-making toolshops. Try http://dick.biz in Germany or I'm
sure there's a US equivalent.

The Stanley #271 small router plane is a great little tool and
everyone should have one. I wouldn't be without for installing hinges.

However it's _not_ an inlay or purfling cutter. It can be handy for
doing ground work on a wider inlay or escutcheon. If you grind up some
extra cutters you can even use it to put a smooth ground to narrrow
stringing grooves. However it does nothing at all to cut the sidewalls
and if you try to use it like that, you'll just split the edges like
crazy.

A shoulder knife is handy too (simple knife with a long handle that
you use resting on your shoulder for better stability). Make your own.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Lee wrote:
Seen a cutter for making the slot for border inlays and cannot find where to
obtain one. Seems like a handy plane (?) and would be better than using a
trim router. A pic is posted on the link. E-mailed Constantines with no
reply. Any idea ? yes I did google.
http://www.constantines.com/index.as...S&Category=127

You'll find a bunch of router planes on eBay for less. Like Andy
said, it won't cut the sides - the router plane just cleans up the
bottom of the slot.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Lee wrote:
WHAT???? I mean I know they make good tools BUT $75.00....Looks like I stick
with the router. That's an insane price.

I think so too. I recently went through this same process in
trying to get myself a router plane. Awhile back, I took a class,
learned how to make hand cut dados with chisels and then used a
router plane to clean up the dado. After the class, I went looking
to buy a router plane for myself, but found the prices for them
ludicrous. At least the basic ones. The router plane from Lee
Valley[1] does appear to be a well engineered tool with some nice
add-ons, but still more than I wanted to spend.

If you want to make your own, it's not that difficult. I made one
out of some scraps, a couple of wooden knobs I got from the hobby
store, a threaded insert, a thumb screw and a hex wrench (to make
the cutter). You can see pictures at the link[2] listed in the
footnotes. A few additional pictures of the hex wrench converted
to a cutter are here[3]. All together it was probably about $5
worth of parts and a couple hours to put together and tweak to get
it working the way I wanted.

You can go to this link[4] and see some other router planes for
additional ideas on how to make your own.

[1]: http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...09&cat=1,41182
[2]: http://wood.atww.net/main.php/v/RouterPlane/
[3]: http://wood.atww.net/main.php/v/RouterPlaneCutter/
[4]: http://www.oldtoolsshop.com/Galoots/...ters/index.asp

remove ".invalid".

Posted to rec.woodworking
CW CW is offline

Answer the question.

"Lee" wrote in message
. net...
Take a closer look at the piece then look at the iron low angle block

plane
for the same price. A whole lot more to that plane. I think that for what
machining there is and very limited parts involved it is grossly over
priced. 30-35 would be acceptable.$40 tops. I'm not saying things aren't
expensive today but is that piece really worth that kind of money.
"CW" wrote in message
link.net...
Seems like a pretty good price to me. Tell me, I assume you have a day
job,
what's your billable hourly rate? Do you think one of those planes can

be
made in under an hour, with materials?

"Lee" wrote in message
t...
WHAT???? I mean I know they make good tools BUT $75.00....Looks like I

stick
with the router. That's an insane price.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 16 May 2007 04:30:07 GMT, "CW" wrote:

Seems like a pretty good price to me. Tell me, I assume you have a day job,
what's your billable hourly rate?

For what? My day job, or working on an assembly line in a plane
factory? Production is a post-Marx, post-Ford world these days.

Woodfiller for Inlay? julvr Woodworking 4 November 24th 05 04:35 AM
Woodfiller for Inlay? julvr Woodworking 1 November 24th 05 01:01 AM
help with PC inlay system Cyrille de Brébisson Woodworking 1 November 3rd 05 09:47 PM
BUTTERFLY INLAY J T Woodworking 0 January 11th 05 06:26 AM
Inlay glue? Darren Woodturning 4 July 16th 04 08:32 AM