Posted to rec.woodworking
Michael Faurot Michael Faurot is offline

Default inlay cutter

Lee wrote:
WHAT???? I mean I know they make good tools BUT $75.00....Looks like I stick
with the router. That's an insane price.

I think so too. I recently went through this same process in
trying to get myself a router plane. Awhile back, I took a class,
learned how to make hand cut dados with chisels and then used a
router plane to clean up the dado. After the class, I went looking
to buy a router plane for myself, but found the prices for them
ludicrous. At least the basic ones. The router plane from Lee
Valley[1] does appear to be a well engineered tool with some nice
add-ons, but still more than I wanted to spend.

If you want to make your own, it's not that difficult. I made one
out of some scraps, a couple of wooden knobs I got from the hobby
store, a threaded insert, a thumb screw and a hex wrench (to make
the cutter). You can see pictures at the link[2] listed in the
footnotes. A few additional pictures of the hex wrench converted
to a cutter are here[3]. All together it was probably about $5
worth of parts and a couple hours to put together and tweak to get
it working the way I wanted.

You can go to this link[4] and see some other router planes for
additional ideas on how to make your own.

[1]: http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...09&cat=1,41182
[2]: http://wood.atww.net/main.php/v/RouterPlane/
[3]: http://wood.atww.net/main.php/v/RouterPlaneCutter/
[4]: http://www.oldtoolsshop.com/Galoots/...ters/index.asp