Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Dreaming of Router bit storage

As long as Charlie is dreaming about the perfect shop what about the
perfect place to store router bits?

I only have about 20 bits right now but some are in a small box others
are in the plastic bag or plastic box they came in and the whole mess
of them are laying in a drawer. Time to do something with especially
since I just got the PC 4212 dovetail machine (2 more bits) which
needs a storage place.

What is the ideal storage system for router bits? (If you already
built it add a link)

Posted to rec.woodworking

RayV wrote:
As long as Charlie is dreaming about the perfect shop what about the
perfect place to store router bits?

I only have about 20 bits right now but some are in a small box others
are in the plastic bag or plastic box they came in and the whole mess
of them are laying in a drawer. Time to do something with especially
since I just got the PC 4212 dovetail machine (2 more bits) which
needs a storage place.

What is the ideal storage system for router bits? (If you already
built it add a link)

Here is my solution:

http://www.loyno.edu/~cbmarsh/tigerbitcase.htm

Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 9, 10:55 am, "Charlie M. 1958"
wrote:
RayV wrote:

snip

What is the ideal storage system for router bits? (If you already
built it add a link)

Here is my solution:

http://www.loyno.edu/~cbmarsh/tigerbitcase.htm

Sweet!

I hope those aren't $5 woodcraft green bits in that beautiful case,
not that I have any I just heard they were that color ;-) .

Posted to rec.woodworking

RayV wrote:

http://www.loyno.edu/~cbmarsh/tigerbitcase.htm

Sweet!

I hope those aren't $5 woodcraft green bits in that beautiful case,
not that I have any I just heard they were that color ;-) .

Me? Cheap Woodcraft router bits? :-)
Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:

http://e-woodshop.net/images/Rbits.jpg

A box, with no top and which can be moved to the router, workbench, etc;
lined with a commercial foam "router bit" holder; all in a drawer dedicated
to router paraphernalia.

Now that's a more manly and practical solution than mine. I see a couple
of green bits in there too though, Ray. :-)

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
RayV wrote:
As long as Charlie is dreaming about the perfect shop what about the
perfect place to store router bits?

I only have about 20 bits right now but some are in a small box others
are in the plastic bag or plastic box they came in and the whole mess
of them are laying in a drawer. Time to do something with especially
since I just got the PC 4212 dovetail machine (2 more bits) which
needs a storage place.

What is the ideal storage system for router bits? (If you already
built it add a link)

Here is my solution:

http://www.loyno.edu/~cbmarsh/tigerbitcase.htm

Charlie M,
If and when you decide to move your router bit collection to another
organizer you can use this one to store your wifes tiara in.
Joe G

Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 9, 7:50 am, RayV wrote:
As long as Charlie is dreaming about the perfect shop what about the
perfect place to store router bits?

I only have about 20 bits right now but some are in a small box others
are in the plastic bag or plastic box they came in and the whole mess
of them are laying in a drawer. Time to do something with especially
since I just got the PC 4212 dovetail machine (2 more bits) which
needs a storage place.

What is the ideal storage system for router bits? (If you already
built it add a link)

One of the mags suggested cutting different sized squares of 3/4 stock
with properly sized holes in the middle of each. Large squares for
those monsters and smaller for the straights, ogees, roundovers etc.
(sized a bit larger than the radius of the bits) The blocks are
friction fit in a box or drawer so they can be lifted out. Why they
are loose is a mystery to me. But, the blocks being rigid keeps the
bits and their edges well separated. My foam system isn't all that
stable and the bits can lean into one another.

Since my storage is in a couple drawers similar to Karl's I'm thinking
I'd size the blocks to fit those drawers, less a divider to hold the
wrenches away from the bits.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Charlie M. 1958" wrote in message
Swingman wrote:

http://e-woodshop.net/images/Rbits.jpg

A box, with no top and which can be moved to the router, workbench, etc;
lined with a commercial foam "router bit" holder; all in a drawer
dedicated
to router paraphernalia.

Now that's a more manly and practical solution than mine. I see a couple
of green bits in there too though, Ray. :-)

Wood magazine
http://woodstore.net/earoor.html is one
Also try September 2001 issue 135 page 20 for another one

Posted to rec.woodworking

Charlie M. 1958 wrote:
RayV wrote:
As long as Charlie is dreaming about the perfect shop what about the
perfect place to store router bits?

I only have about 20 bits right now but some are in a small box others
are in the plastic bag or plastic box they came in and the whole mess
of them are laying in a drawer. Time to do something with especially
since I just got the PC 4212 dovetail machine (2 more bits) which
needs a storage place.

What is the ideal storage system for router bits? (If you already
built it add a link)

Here is my solution:

http://www.loyno.edu/~cbmarsh/tigerbitcase.htm

Awesome...but it brings a question to mind: Does your wife know you
have this much free time?

Posted to rec.woodworking

"RayV" wrote in message
ups.com...
As long as Charlie is dreaming about the perfect shop what about the
perfect place to store router bits?

I only have about 20 bits right now but some are in a small box others
are in the plastic bag or plastic box they came in and the whole mess
of them are laying in a drawer. Time to do something with especially
since I just got the PC 4212 dovetail machine (2 more bits) which
needs a storage place.

What is the ideal storage system for router bits? (If you already
built it add a link)

FWW, perhaps too simple, but it works for me:

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 2/20/07

Posted to rec.woodworking

What is the ideal storage system for router bits? (If you already
built it add a link)

I'm sure it's far from ideal, but my current setup is a piece of 1"
butternut (no reason; just had a lot) with 1/2" and 1/4" holes drilled
in it, which sits in a toolbox drawer. Added a dowel to one of the
1/4" holes where slotting cutters sit, and drilled a larger hole where
the unused collet sits. I could post a picture if you really want,
but it's pretty straightforward - spacing of the holes just depends on
the size of your bits. Mine just isn't quite big enough in terms of
capacity.
I just picked up a discarded 3.5" floppy disk storage container -
basically 2 drawers, about 10" deep, that once held disks (remember
those?) vertically. Kind of like a double-wide one of these:
http://www.mcminone.com/product.asp?...t%5Fid=CS00128
I'm thinking a piece of ~3.5" wide scrap in each drawer, with several
holes drilled most of the way through, will make it into a nice
enclosed router bit holder (whenever I get a round tuit). Maybe the
thing can be mounted under my router table - we'll see. I should
include some space for the collet wrench.
Ideal router bit storage (in many climates) should probably be
enclosed and include some dessicant, unless you're really good about
oiling/waxing/protecting all your bits.
Good luck,
Andy

Posted to rec.woodworking
bob bob is offline

"RayV" wrote in message
ups.com...
As long as Charlie is dreaming about the perfect shop what about the
perfect place to store router bits?

I only have about 20 bits right now but some are in a small box others
are in the plastic bag or plastic box they came in and the whole mess
of them are laying in a drawer. Time to do something with especially
since I just got the PC 4212 dovetail machine (2 more bits) which
needs a storage place.

What is the ideal storage system for router bits? (If you already
built it add a link)

Take a slab of 2" wood, and drill a bunch o' 1" deep holes in it. Voila!
I have mine in a big drawer in the router table, so I can just open it and
grab the one I need.

Bob

Posted to rec.woodworking

Subject

The method used in the NYW router station is very straight forward.

Lew
Posted to rec.woodworking

"bob" writes:

"RayV" wrote in message
oups.com...
As long as Charlie is dreaming about the perfect shop what about the
perfect place to store router bits?

[snip]

What is the ideal storage system for router bits? (If you already
built it add a link)

Take a slab of 2" wood, and drill a bunch o' 1" deep holes in it. Voila!
I have mine in a big drawer in the router table, so I can just open it and
grab the one I need.

I use old 35mm plastic film canisters for smaller bits. Label the top lid
with the bit info, drill a grid of holes the size of the film canister (but
smaller than the lid diameter) and drop them in. Can be mounted vertically
or horizontally. The larger bits hang in their original packaging in an
old medicine cabinet with a sheet of 3/8" plywood fitted internally.

The advent of digital SLR cameras means that the supply of film canisters
will likely be drying up, however.

scott

Posted to rec.woodworking

RayV wrote:
As long as Charlie is dreaming about the perfect shop what about the
perfect place to store router bits?

I only have about 20 bits right now but some are in a small box
others are in the plastic bag or plastic box they came in and the
whole mess of them are laying in a drawer. Time to do something
with especially since I just got the PC 4212 dovetail machine (2
more bits) which needs a storage place.

What is the ideal storage system for router bits? (If you already
built it add a link)

1. Take a 3/4" thick board

2. Drill 1/2" holes in it not quite all the way through. Make a
pretty pattern

3. Size board to fit drawer

4. Put board IN drawer.

If you have both 1/2" & 1/4" bits, put a piece of 1/2" dowel in board
hole(s), drill 1/4" hole in dowel.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to rec.woodworking

One man's ideal is another's nightmare but these work just fine for me.
http://www.flambeauoutdoors.com/otdr...n_spinner.html

Art

"RayV" wrote

What is the ideal storage system for router bits?

Posted to rec.woodworking

"RayV" wrote in message
ups.com...
As long as Charlie is dreaming about the perfect shop what about the
perfect place to store router bits?

I only have about 20 bits right now but some are in a small box others
are in the plastic bag or plastic box they came in and the whole mess
of them are laying in a drawer. Time to do something with especially
since I just got the PC 4212 dovetail machine (2 more bits) which
needs a storage place.

What is the ideal storage system for router bits? (If you already
built it add a link)

I have a piece of 3/4" thick plywood with 1/2" diameter holes drilled 1/2"
deep. I stick the router bits upside down in those holes.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 09 May 2007 07:50:06 -0700, RayV wrote:

As long as Charlie is dreaming about the perfect shop what about the
perfect place to store router bits?

Here's the way to do it:

http://www.woodmagazine.com/wood/sto...latedata/wood/
story/data/366.xml

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Steve Hall" wrote in message
news
On Wed, 09 May 2007 07:50:06 -0700, RayV wrote:

As long as Charlie is dreaming about the perfect shop what about the
perfect place to store router bits?

Here's the way to do it:

http://www.woodmagazine.com/wood/sto...latedata/wood/
story/data/366.xml

Can't get on the site you listed above. An error comes up.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"RayV" wrote in message
ups.com...
As long as Charlie is dreaming about the perfect shop what about the
perfect place to store router bits?

I only have about 20 bits right now but some are in a small box others
are in the plastic bag or plastic box they came in and the whole mess
of them are laying in a drawer. Time to do something with especially
since I just got the PC 4212 dovetail machine (2 more bits) which
needs a storage place.

What is the ideal storage system for router bits? (If you already
built it add a link)

My not so fancy soloution.
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u...01041Small.jpg

--
Paul O.

Posted to rec.woodworking

CW wrote:

A 33/64" drill makes it a lot easier to get the bit back out of the

hole.

Along with drilling thru holes in a piece of 9 ply, then attaching a
piece of door skin with some brads to close the holes.

Just make sure you use backer boards to eliminate tear out.

Lew
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 9 May 2007 21:14:55 -0500, "Dave" wrote:

"Steve Hall" wrote in message
news
On Wed, 09 May 2007 07:50:06 -0700, RayV wrote:

As long as Charlie is dreaming about the perfect shop what about the
perfect place to store router bits?

Here's the way to do it:

http://www.woodmagazine.com/wood/sto...latedata/wood/
story/data/366.xml

Can't get on the site you listed above. An error comes up.

The URL wrapped to the second line. Add "story/date/366.xml" to the
end of URL and it works fine. Actually looks like a pretty neat idea.
Might try it in one or more of the drawers on my router table.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Things in drawers are hidden - which is ok - unless they
get hidden again under some other stuff. And little
boxes inside of boxes are just as bad. Worse yet, the
boxes tend to hide from you - often under a stack of
stuff you piled on top of them. (OK - so I'm the only
one here who has to do an archeological dig to find
something "I just set down a moment ago".

My vote is to store router bits in a wall hanging
cabinet. Hard to stack things - on a wall. And if
you hang the cabinet on the wall closest to the
router table . . .

And if you're gonna make a cabinet for the router
bits - why not cooper the doors? If you make some
minor mistakes along the way - HEY it's JUST SHOP
FURNITURE! (and what you learn may show up in some
future "house furniture" project. Coopered doors
aren't rocket science things. Try it, it's easier
than you think.

http://web.hypersurf.com/~charlie2/C...redDoors0.html

The coopered doors were easy. The knife hinges weren't.
It's the little stuff that causes all the grief.

charlie b

Posted to rec.woodworking

charlieb wrote:

And if you're gonna make a cabinet for the router
bits - why not cooper the doors? If you make some
minor mistakes along the way - HEY it's JUST SHOP
FURNITURE! (and what you learn may show up in some
future "house furniture" project. Coopered doors
aren't rocket science things. Try it, it's easier
than you think.

My first set of frame and panel doors sit on my bench cabinet. It also
holds my first set of hand dovetailed drawers. I got over excited
planing the horns of the styles so there is a curve to the tops ;-) and
the crappy plywood delaminated in places as I cut the dovetails but as
you say the experience is invaluable.

My router bits sit in a large pull out tray arrangement below the
drawers on full extension sliders. It is in essence a piece of 18mm mdf
drilled with groups of different sized, blind ended holes. Currently it
holds 6 and 8mm router bits, screwdriver bits and every drill bit that
doesn't have its own case. Works well for me.

Peter
www.the-brights.net