Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Can anyone ID this tree

I know this isn't a binary group, so I'll post the image as a link

http://photos.imageevent.com/eigenve...e/P4290109.JPG

Someone told me that this was a birch, but for some reason I thought Birch
trees didn't look like this. By the way I took this photo about 3 weeks
ago, the leaves aren't that much bigger now. I posted a down low shot due
to the fact the tree is pretty busted up and I'd say dead. This is the
prettiest angle I could get of it.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Eigenvector" wrote in message
I know this isn't a binary group, so I'll post the image as a link

http://photos.imageevent.com/eigenve...e/P4290109.JPG

Someone told me that this was a birch, but for some reason I thought Birch
trees didn't look like this. By the way I took this photo about 3 weeks
ago, the leaves aren't that much bigger now. I posted a down low shot due
to the fact the tree is pretty busted up and I'd say dead. This is the
prettiest angle I could get of it.

Too close.. At this distance it looks like the Crab Apple that I have in my
front yard.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Too close.. At this distance it looks like the Crab Apple that I have in my
front yard.

I was going to say the same thing - looks like an apple. But a clear
close-up shot of a leaf would help a great deal. The leaves look too
shiny and smooth (not serrated edges) for a birch, and although birch
bark can be dark colored, the bark texture doesn't look right for
birch either, IME.
Does this tree flower in the spring? If it has pink or white flowers,
it might be an apple. If it has "catkins" that look something like
this, http://completerunning.com/Loping-Lo...irchCatkin.jpg
it may be a birch.
Closer and farther pictures would help, as would a rough idea of your
geographic location.
Andy

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
"Eigenvector" wrote:

http://photos.imageevent.com/eigenve...e/P4290109.JPG

Someone told me that this was a birch, but for some reason I thought Birch
trees didn't look like this. By the way I took this photo about 3 weeks
ago, the leaves aren't that much bigger now. I posted a down low shot due
to the fact the tree is pretty busted up and I'd say dead. This is the
prettiest angle I could get of it.

I'm no expert but could it be a pomegranate? The leaves look kind of
right.

Ben.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 9, 7:29 am, Ben Golding wrote:
In article ,

"Eigenvector" wrote:
http://photos.imageevent.com/eigenve...e/P4290109.JPG

Someone told me that this was a birch, but for some reason I thought Birch
treesdidn't look like this. By the way I took this photo about 3 weeks
ago, the leaves aren't that much bigger now. I posted a down low shot due
to the fact the tree is pretty busted up and I'd say dead. This is the
prettiest angle I could get of it.

I'm no expert but could it be a pomegranate? The leaves look kind of
right.

Ben.

Looks like a Prunus, hybrid on root stock, the sucker growth looks
like Prunus, although could be Malus- a distant shot showing the shape
of the crown would be helpful.

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , "Eigenvector" wrote:
I know this isn't a binary group, so I'll post the image as a link

http://photos.imageevent.com/eigenve...e/P4290109.JPG

Someone told me that this was a birch, but for some reason I thought Birch
trees didn't look like this. By the way I took this photo about 3 weeks
ago, the leaves aren't that much bigger now. I posted a down low shot due
to the fact the tree is pretty busted up and I'd say dead. This is the
prettiest angle I could get of it.

With leaves like that, it's no birch. How about posting another photo from a
greater distance, to give a better view of the bark and the shape of the tree?

Your friendly local library or bookstore should have, or be able to get, a
copy of the Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Trees. There are two
editions, eastern and western - get the one appropriate for your region
(assuming you live somewhere in North America, of course). Tremendously
helpful in identifying trees. The books give photos of bark, both spring and
autumn foliage, and flowers and fruit if any, as well as silhouettes of
typical mature specimens and very thorough descriptions.

--
Regards,

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article .com, Treelady wrote:
In article ,
"Eigenvector" wrote:
http://photos.imageevent.com/eigenve...e/P4290109.JPG

Looks like a Prunus, hybrid on root stock, the sucker growth looks
like Prunus, although could be Malus- a distant shot showing the shape
of the crown would be helpful.

Yeah, I was thinking that too -- maybe a plum?

--
Regards,