Default What tree is this?

Sorry I am a novice here - what tree is it in NJ (it seems to be very
common) where the bark is deep and brown like oak at the bottom, with a
transition to a smooth, light, distinct gray around half way up to the
top?

Thanks!

Dean

Charlie Self

Very mature sycamores might look that way, though the transition to
gray goes through mottling, scaling bark and some shades of green and
white in the bark. Are they found mostly along rivers, ponds, etc.?

No they are in regular forest areas. They are quite distinct, and I am
learning to recognize trees now but its still winter so its hard! Its
not sycamore though, I know that.

Thanks for the binaries mention, I didn't even know there was such a
place to post pics!

Dean

Joe

Does it have orangy looking "fruit" in the summer months?

--

Joe - V#8013 - '86 VN750 - joe @ yunx .com
Northern, NJ

Born once - Die twice. Born twice - Die only once. Your choice...

Have unwanted music CDs or DVDs of any type? I can use them for our
charity. eMail me privately for details. Donation receipts available.

Know someone with a motorcycle in the NY Metro area?
http://host.mynocdns.com/mailman/lis...rides_yunx.com

wrote in message
ups.com...
No they are in regular forest areas. They are quite distinct, and I am
learning to recognize trees now but its still winter so its hard! Its
not sycamore though, I know that.

Thanks for the binaries mention, I didn't even know there was such a
place to post pics!

Dean

I dont know, I only moved this winter and only noticed them recently.

Not maple - maples don't change color going up like that.

Duane Bozarth

" wrote:

Not maple - maples don't change color going up like that.

Nor do cottonwoods...and while not knowledgeable about NJ, I've seen
few, if any, cottonwoods east of the Mississippi--at least what we know
as cottonwood.
Luigi Zanasi

On Tue, 01 Mar 2005 08:50:29 -0600, Duane Bozarth wrote:

" wrote:

Not maple - maples don't change color going up like that.

Memory could be failing me and I haven't lived back east in more than 15
years, but I do seem to remember maples going from rugged bark at the
bottom to smooth greyish on the limbs and upper trunk.

Nor do cottonwoods...and while not knowledgeable about NJ, I've seen
few, if any, cottonwoods east of the Mississippi--at least what we know
as cottonwood.

Eastern Cottonwood (Populus deltoides) Very rugged deeply furrowed bark at
the bottom, going to smooth greenish grey. Again, IIRC.

--
Luigi
Replace "nonet" with "yukonomics" for real email

Duane Bozarth

Luigi Zanasi wrote:

Eastern Cottonwood (Populus deltoides) Very rugged deeply furrowed bark at
the bottom, going to smooth greenish grey. Again, IIRC.

Hmmm...don't know it. Mayhaps that's one of the ones there I didn't
know. Since it isn't a "wood" tree at all, I've never looked at it much
so don't even no the botannical name for the ones we have here. Nice,
attractive tree in a place where trees are few and far between, though.
I'll have to go look it up.

Christmas tree won't drink water Finite Guy Home Repair 43 December 21st 19 11:06 PM
How Lee Valley & Tegs Tools Saved Christmas B Man Woodworking 0 January 21st 05 02:20 AM
Tree stump stuck. Leroy Mowry Home Repair 44 January 12th 05 05:45 PM
unfortunate Lazarus Long Woodworking 32 April 20th 04 02:44 PM
Tree identification. Al Kyder Woodturning 2 September 17th 03 05:13 PM