Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Woodworking bench design

Anybody got any pointers to designs for woodworking benches?

I'm sketching-out some ideas for a woodworking bench top to fit on an
existing sturdy metal frame. The top's going to be 1500x660 (overhanging
slightly at each end), a tool well at the back, a quick release vice set
on the front and a standard vice on the end. Probably also a removable
panel to drop-in a router.
Buying/laminating loads of Beech strips seems like too much work and
expense so I'm thinking of laminating 3 layers of 18mm ply (or maybe
MDF) and edging it with some 30mm wide Beech. There'll be a sacrificial
layer of 6mm MDF on the top that will get changed when necessary. Does
this sound sensible?
Any suggestions for (UK) stockists of thicker ply? or HDF, or Beech
kitchen worktops at a sensible price?

Dave
(I'll post this in alt.woodworking too)
Posted to rec.woodworking

Not sure about woodworking benches, but for all those nicely rounded
metric numbers - sounds like step one in your project is to buy a
Domino...

- jbd

Posted to rec.woodworking

NoSpam wrote:
Anybody got any pointers to designs for woodworking benches?

Google has lots of info. See also the following books:

"The Workbench: A Complete Guide to Creating Your Perfect Bench", Lon
Schleining

"The Workbench Book: A Craftsman's Guide to Workbenches for Every Type
of Woodworking", Scott Landis

"Making Workbenches: * Planning * Building * Outfitting", Sam Allen

Chris
Posted to rec.woodworking

Google has lots of info. See also the following books:

"The Workbench: A Complete Guide to Creating Your Perfect Bench", Lon
Schleining

"The Workbench Book: A Craftsman's Guide to Workbenches for Every Type
of Woodworking", Scott Landis

I'll second the recommendation of both those books - I've read both
and found them both excellent.
Andy

Posted to rec.woodworking

Chris Friesen wrote in
:

NoSpam wrote:
Anybody got any pointers to designs for woodworking benches?

Google has lots of info. See also the following books:

"The Workbench: A Complete Guide to Creating Your Perfect Bench", Lon
Schleining

"The Workbench Book: A Craftsman's Guide to Workbenches for Every Type
of Woodworking", Scott Landis

"Making Workbenches: * Planning * Building * Outfitting", Sam Allen

Chris

Well, the other source to look into is pretty much anything by Chris
Schwartz, one of the editor types at Popular Woodworking, a US based
magazine. That, and Woodworking, which is sort of newstand only in the
States, and no ads. A great bit of publishing that may or may not live.

Chris also has a book on benches and their use due this fall. What I
use is similar to what the OP talks about, from the magazine about 5 or
6 years ago. Hasn't caused sufficient grief to build ME another bench,
although I did a simple one for my dad a couple of years back.

The gist of the story is 'build it heavy and stronger than you think you
will need. Be willing to modify it, if needed. Don't make it too fancy
with finishes, if you intend to do real work on it.'

It's a workbench. Think of it as part of your biggest clamping system.
And have at it.

Patriarch

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 08 May 2007 22:02:12 +0100, NoSpam
wrote:

[...]

The current issue, Issue #162, June 2007, has a compilation of "Rules
for Workbenches". Nothing you don't already know, probably, but
several things it'd be good to keep in mind during the design process.
I violated a couple of them building mine a few years ago and I'm
seriously considering tearing it down and rebuilding.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Tom Veatch wrote:

The current issue, Issue #162, June 2007, has a compilation of "Rules
for Workbenches". Nothing you don't already know, probably, but
several things it'd be good to keep in mind during the design process.
I violated a couple of them building mine a few years ago and I'm
seriously considering tearing it down and rebuilding.

Current issue of what magazine?

Chris
Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 8, 5:02 pm, NoSpam wrote:
[...]

My first bench that I just finished was made by taking a second-hand
Oak butcher block kitchen table about 1" thick and backing it up with
two layers of 3/4" plywood.

To keep it flat while screwing I put the top on the TS and clamped a
caul across the center and screwed it down then moved the caul toward
the end and screwed again. When I reached the end I went back to the
center and worked toward the other end. Then repeated fo the second
layer of plywood. The top came out amazingly flat using this method.
If you want to do this plan ahead for dog holes and leg & vise
mounting so you don't end up drilling through one of the screws. I
used the cutoffs from the table top to wrap the edges. The top was so
heavy I could not use my TS to trim the ends because the saw would
have tipped.

Sorry about the Royal measurements but the Queen is in town...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 8, 5:02 pm, NoSpam wrote:
Anybody got any pointers to designs for woodworking benches?

I'm sketching-out some ideas for a woodworking bench top to fit on an
existing sturdy metal frame. The top's going to be 1500x660 (overhanging

If I had a 125 foot workbench I could start my cocobolo telephone pole
project....Does anyone know where I can get a 100 foot extention for
my jet mini lathe with free shipping?

Posted to rec.woodworking

NoSpam wrote:
Any suggestions for (UK) stockists of thicker ply? or HDF, or Beech
kitchen worktops at a sensible price?

Dave
(I'll post this in alt.woodworking too)

Ikea http://www.ikea.com/ sells Birch, Beech and Oak counter tops..... I
thought the price reasonable (I bought several) and the one I installed so
far looks very good.

The magazine with the recent article on bench design was Popular
Woodworking. Rod

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 10 May 2007 11:57:35 -0700, "Rod & Betty Jo"

The magazine with the recent article on bench design was Popular
Woodworking.

Thanks for backstopping me. Just noticed I posted the issue number,
date, and everything except the name of the darned magazine. Those
blasted senior moments are coming all too frequently.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Tom Veatch wrote in message
On Thu, 10 May 2007 11:57:35 -0700, "Rod & Betty Jo"

The magazine with the recent article on bench design was Popular
Woodworking.

Thanks for backstopping me. Just noticed I posted the issue number,
date, and everything except the name of the darned magazine. Those
blasted senior moments are coming all too frequently.

Those (of which I already share) senior moments are either a sad state of
affairsG or a new explanation for what used to be youthful
exuberance.....My omissions haven't changed just what I call them...Rod

Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 11, 6:39?am, "Rod & Betty Jo" wrote:
Tom Veatch wrote in message

On Thu, 10 May 2007 11:57:35 -0700, "Rod & Betty Jo"

The magazine with the recent article on bench design was Popular
Woodworking.

Thanks for backstopping me. Just noticed I posted the issue number,
date, and everything except the name of the darned magazine. Those
blasted senior moments are coming all too frequently.

Those (of which I already share) senior moments are either a sad state of
affairsG or a new explanation for what used to be youthful
exuberance.....My omissions haven't changed just what I call them...Rod

Although my own memory is not that good, I've been told (by a 92 year
old aunt who remembers every damned embarrassing moment in the lives
of her many nieces and newphews) that my "senior" moments seem to have
started just about the time my second tooth came in.