Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Queen's Windsor Chair at Jamestown

According to MSNBC:

At a ceremony in the brick church at Jamestown, built in 1907 near the
original church frame dating to 1617, the queen presented a handmade,
elaborately carved Windsor chair as a gift to the people of Virginia.

----

Of course, the Queen is from the house of Windsor (is that where the
name cames from?). However,
anyone know where 1) a picture of it is 2) who made it?

A Norm special?

MJ Wallace

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article .com
" writes:
According to MSNBC:

At a ceremony in the brick church at Jamestown, built in 1907 near the
original church frame dating to 1617, the queen presented a handmade,
elaborately carved Windsor chair as a gift to the people of Virginia.

----

Of course, the Queen is from the house of Windsor (is that where the
name cames from?). However,
anyone know where 1) a picture of it is 2) who made it?

I can't help you with the picture, but according to
http://www.eadt.co.uk/content/eadt/n...A42%3A33%3A900

(sorry about the linewrap)

: During yesterday's visit, the monarch presented a high-back,
: Mendlesham-style, Windsor chair, which had been hand-crafted by
: Saxmundham-based company Finewood.

--
Drew Lawson I had planned to be dead by now, but
the schedule slipped, they do that.
Posted to rec.woodworking

: During yesterday's visit, the monarch presented a high-back,
: Mendlesham-style, Windsor chair, which had been hand-crafted by
: Saxmundham-based company Finewood.

--
Drew Lawson I had planned to be dead by now, but
the schedule slipped, they do that.
-- Casady

This gets you to the company, probably something like this one custom
carved.
http://www.mendleshamchairs.co.uk/ra...php?rangeid=11

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7 May, 19:37, " wrote:

Of course, the Queen is from the house of Windsor (is that where the
name cames from?

Yes. Although this chair is from Suffolk (SE coast), the "typical"
mass-market Windsors in the UK were made and sold around the Windsor
area.

The Queen's bizarre history of names are the result of a country that
doesn't much like foreigners finding itself ruled by offshoots of
European minor nobility. They deliberately renamed themselves from the
German "Battenburg" to the more English-sounding "Mountbatten" to
avoid being mistaken for a cheap pink cake. Swapping "Schleswig-
Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg" with a side-order of "Saxe-Coburg
Gotha" for "Windsor" makes it easier for our illiterate tabloids to
spell.

Posted to rec.woodworking

: During yesterday's visit, the monarch presented a high-back,
: Mendlesham-style, Windsor chair, which had been hand-crafted by
: Saxmundham-based company Finewood.

This gets you to the company, probably something like this one custom
carved.
http://www.mendleshamchairs.co.uk/ra...php?rangeid=11

That's a pretty good example of why Mike Dunbar contends that Windsors
should be painted not stained. Notice how the grain distracts the eye from
the pure form and shape of the chair (which isn't especially lovely for a
Windsor).
For the same reason, girls shouldn't get tattoos.

Another more practical reason is that Dunbar's chairs use at least three
different types of wood: maple turnings, pine seat, red oak arm, bow and
spindles, cherry hand rests (added to the oak arm). Each wood offers
desirable properties for the components.

YMMV,
Dean

Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 7, 3:39 pm, (Drew Lawson) wrote:

http://www.eadt.co.uk/content/eadt/n...d=EADOnline&ca...

(sorry about the linewrap)

: During yesterday's visit, the monarch presented a high-back,
: Mendlesham-style, Windsor chair, which had been hand-crafted by
: Saxmundham-based company Finewood.

--
Drew Lawson I had planned to be dead by now, but
the schedule slipped, they do that.
-- Casady

Drew,
Thank you for posting this interesting sidebar to the Queen's
activities in Virginia. I would not have known where to look.
Joe G

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Andy Dingley" wrote in message
ups.com...
On 7 May, 19:37, " wrote:

Of course, the Queen is from the house of Windsor (is that where the
name cames from?

Yes. Although this chair is from Suffolk (SE coast), the "typical"
mass-market Windsors in the UK were made and sold around the Windsor
area.

The Queen's bizarre history of names are the result of a country that
doesn't much like foreigners finding itself ruled by offshoots of
European minor nobility. They deliberately renamed themselves from the
German "Battenburg" to the more English-sounding "Mountbatten" to
avoid being mistaken for a cheap pink cake. Swapping "Schleswig-
Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg" with a side-order of "Saxe-Coburg
Gotha" for "Windsor" makes it easier for our illiterate tabloids to
spell.

Hey who pulled your chain ? How about getting on to the likes of wilson and
his cronies who let in half of asia and africa and then enacted laws to say
you have to like them and support them .

Anyway getting back to the Windsor chair not the most attractive design too
much machining for me .Prefer the ones made by the bodgers wherever they
could find a source of wood [many places including Windsor],the ones with
the crelated stretchers the yew wood bentwood and the elm seats ...mjh

Posted to rec.woodworking

"mike hide" wrote in message
. ..

snip

Anyway getting back to the Windsor chair not the most attractive design
too much machining for me .Prefer the ones made by the bodgers wherever
they could find a source of wood [many places including Windsor],the ones
with the crelated stretchers the yew wood bentwood and the elm seats
...mjh

Have any of you been to Bayou Bend (Houston) and seen the collection of
Windsor Chairs they have?
If you haven't and your close by, it's worth the trip.

You'll see some Newport, Philadelphia, and Boston secretaries and cases
also.

Posted to rec.woodworking

This is probably the best link for a picture of the Windsor chair in
question:

http://www.mendleshamchairs.co.uk/ph...ropy/index.php

On May 7, 1:37 pm, "
wrote:
According to MSNBC:

At a ceremony in the brick church at Jamestown, built in 1907 near the
original church frame dating to 1617, the queen presented a handmade,
elaborately carved Windsor chair as a gift to the people of Virginia.

----

Of course, the Queen is from the house of Windsor (is that where the
name cames from?). However,
anyone know where 1) a picture of it is 2) who made it?

A Norm special?

MJ Wallace

Mending Windsor chair Timothy Murphy UK diy 6 November 4th 05 07:34 PM
Windsor chair spindles - best way to make? David Anderson Woodworking 8 July 6th 05 02:31 PM
Windsor chair repair CRR Woodworking 2 January 24th 05 11:10 PM
Windsor Chair question [email protected] Woodworking 24 January 23rd 05 11:00 PM
school needs windsor chair parts Mike at American Sycamore Woodturning 2 November 25th 04 10:43 PM