Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Disposing of refinishing products

Now that I'd refinished one of my cabinet doors, I'm wondering what to do
with all the crap that will come off it when I remove the old varnish
finish.

See I'm using CitrusStrip to remove the varnish and one thing that it
creates is a lot of gelatanous goopy crap that you have to scrape off. But
what do I do with that goop - toss it in the trash, store it in the sealed
metal container, put it in a jar and call it a family heirloom? I'm at a
loss for how to get rid of the by-products without ruining the environment,
poisioning the groundwater, or poisoning myself for that matter. One I
could handle, I wiped it up with a paper towel and tossed it in the trash,
but not 10 or 12 - at least not without asking.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 6, 11:56 pm, "Eigenvector" wrote:

Now that I'd refinished one of my cabinet doors, I'm wondering what to do with all the crap that will come off it when I remove the old varnish
finish.

See I'm using CitrusStrip to remove the varnish and one thing that it creates is a lot of gelatanous goopy crap that you have to scrape off.

Most of the citrus based products won't harm the environment by
themselves. But when combined with the dissolved finishes that are
still goopy they can be pretty poisonous to things.

I put mine in a bucket, mix it with sawdust, and the first really
sunny day I spread it out on contractor bag to dry out in the hot
sun. When it is hard and crunchy, I sweep it off and put it in the
bag and put it out with the rest of the trash.

According to the guys I buy my really harsh stripper from, this is
also a good way to get rid of their product. They key in both
instances is to get the product stablilized and completely dry.

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

Eigenvector,

On May 6, 9:56 pm, "Eigenvector" wrote:
Now that I'd refinished one of my cabinet doors, I'm wondering what to do
with all the crap that will come off it when I remove the old varnish
finish.

Contact your local recycling group. I'm sure they will have an answer.

MJ Wallace

Posted to rec.woodworking
Bob Bob is offline

"Eigenvector" wrote in message
I'm at a loss for how to get rid of the by-products without ruining the
environment, poisioning the groundwater, or poisoning myself for that
matter. One I could handle, I wiped it up with a paper towel and tossed
it in the trash, but not 10 or 12 - at least not without asking.

I don't know where you live, but many cities of any size have a hazardous
waste drop off depot. I live in Houston and we have a model facility where
you just drive through and unload whatever we need to - in and out in two
minutes. They have workers wearing rubber gloves and protective gear to
accept whatever concoction you bring in. Look up your city waste disposal
number in the phone book and call them.

Bob

Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 7, 9:09 am, "Bob" wrote:

I don't know where you live,

Down the road in San Antonio.

but many cities of any size

1.3 million +

have a hazardous waste drop off depot. I live in Houston and we have a model facility where
you just drive through and unload whatever we need to - in and out in two minutes. They have workers wearing rubber gloves and protective gear to
accept whatever concoction you bring in.

That woudl be nice! Nothing like that here, though.

Look up your city waste disposal
number in the phone book and call them.

Bob

Absolutely no need. We are presented with the opportunity 3 times a
year for a full weekend (advertised in the newspaper and on TV) by the
city to get rid of anything considered hazardous that wasn't used in a
commercial venture.

So no heavy, 55 gallon drums of metal laden acids from the metal
plating plant, etc. Anything else is OK.

Still, I always look for the easiest, safe way to do something. If I
can SAFELY dispose of material myself, I will. And since a measured
gallon of stripped "goo" is a lot in this context, I don't mind the
extra steps for such a small amount of material.

The model facility would certainly be handy for old latex, primer,
etc. However, San Antonio is encouraging us contractors to turn in
the oil or solvent based products on hazmat disposal day (contractors
pay a fee), but to simply dry out the latex products and dispose of
the dried stuff container and all. Although they view their stance as
ecouragement, actual failure to dispose of hazmats correctly will
incur large fines, and if you are a "pro", some very large fines.

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Bob" wrote in message

"Eigenvector" wrote in message
I'm at a loss for how to get rid of the by-products without ruining the
environment, poisioning the groundwater, or poisoning myself for that
matter. One I could handle, I wiped it up with a paper towel and tossed
it in the trash, but not 10 or 12 - at least not without asking.

I don't know where you live, but many cities of any size have a hazardous
waste drop off depot. I live in Houston and we have a model facility where
you just drive through and unload whatever we need to - in and out in two
minutes. They have workers wearing rubber gloves and protective gear to
accept whatever concoction you bring in. Look up your city waste disposal
number in the phone book and call them.

Bob

So does that mean you scrape the goopy crap into a bucket - like a paint can
and take that the waste disposal sites?

That seems like a reasonable approach. Is that how you handle it?

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
ps.com...
[...]

Thanks, that sounds like a reasonable approach.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 7, 4:55 pm, (J T) wrote:
Sun, May 6, 2007, 10:35pm (EDT-3) doth sayeth:
snip I spread it out on contractor bag to dry snip

I've gotta ask. Contractor bag? You mean concrete, or what?

Well, the empty concrete bags are indeed used for utility purposes on
occasion. But I buy these thick plastic bags (soemthing like 3 or 3.5
mil thick) that are made from a really tough plastic. They will hold
about 30 lbs, sometimes more of debris.

They are marked "contractor cleanup bags" at the lumberyard. I think
HD has them, too.

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking
Bob Bob is offline

"Eigenvector" wrote in message

So does that mean you scrape the goopy crap into a bucket - like a paint
can and take that the waste disposal sites?

That seems like a reasonable approach. Is that how you handle it?

Most of the stuff I've turned in was in buckets or plastic containers.

Bob

Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 7, 12:56 am, "Eigenvector" wrote:
Now that I'd refinished one of my cabinet doors, I'm wondering what to do
with all the crap that will come off it when I remove the old varnish
finish.

See I'm using CitrusStrip to remove the varnish and one thing that it
creates is a lot of gelatanous goopy crap that you have to scrape off. But
what do I do with that goop - toss it in the trash, store it in the sealed
metal container, put it in a jar and call it a family heirloom? I'm at a
loss for how to get rid of the by-products without ruining the environment,
poisioning the groundwater, or poisoning myself for that matter. One I
could handle, I wiped it up with a paper towel and tossed it in the trash,
but not 10 or 12 - at least not without asking.

Our area has a haz-mat weekend clean up that they advertise in advance
for. One good way to stabilize and dry out the goo is to put it in a
bucket and add kitty litter to it.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"bremen68" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Oh I can do that - I have kitty little galore. Sounds like a plan - old
paint can, kitty litter, haz mat guys.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Eigenvector wrote:

Oh I can do that - I have kitty little galore. Sounds like a plan - old
paint can, kitty litter, haz mat guys.

Not to pick on the suggestor of the kitty litter, as it's a good one,
but...

Why do we always specify "old" kitty litter, toothbrushes, panty hose...

My old toothbrushes are gross, used kitty litter stinks, and I don't
wear panty hose (although I do have a hockey garter belt ;^0). None of
that stuff is that expensive that I see a big deal in buying new when I
really need it. G

Don't forget, Oil Dri is essentially the same stuff as kitty litter.