C.Swartz

Default Disposing Unused Paint...

Howdy all. I have a few quarts of unused paint to get rid of. They are
full quarts. If I leave the lids off of them will the paint eventually
dry out? The trash will take unused paint so long as it's dried out.

-Chris
Phisherman

On Sat, 6 Mar 2004 20:16:17 -0500, C.Swartz
wrote:

Howdy all. I have a few quarts of unused paint to get rid of. They are
full quarts. If I leave the lids off of them will the paint eventually
dry out? The trash will take unused paint so long as it's dried out.

-Chris

yes. Or, you could sell them at a garage sale.
Alan McKay

Around here most communities have a hazardous waste depot
and that's where you take paint

SteveB

"C.Swartz" wrote in message

Howdy all. I have a few quarts of unused paint to get rid of. They are
full quarts. If I leave the lids off of them will the paint eventually
dry out? The trash will take unused paint so long as it's dried out.

-Chris

For those things, our trash company has amnesty days where you can take them
ANYTHING (except a dead body), and they will dispose of it. The nasty stuff
like acetone, MEK, and that sort of stuff. I think they get federal $$$ for
doing it, but we do get to drop the stuff off for free. Only downside is
that you have to take it to their location. Call 'em.

Steve

Edwin Pawlowski

"C.Swartz" wrote in message

Howdy all. I have a few quarts of unused paint to get rid of. They are
full quarts. If I leave the lids off of them will the paint eventually
dry out? The trash will take unused paint so long as it's dried out.

-Chris

You can try selling it or donating the paint to a community project. Yes,
it will dry over time. You may do better pouring some over old newspapers
to dry as a quart will take a very long time.
Ed

http://pages.cthome.net/edhome

jim

C.Swartz wrote:

Howdy all. I have a few quarts of unused paint to get rid of. They are
full quarts. If I leave the lids off of them will the paint eventually
dry out? The trash will take unused paint so long as it's dried out.

-Chris

wrap them up like presents and put them on the back of your car like you
forgot to get them when getting out.. they will disappear real quick..
ameijers

wrote in message
On Sat, 6 Mar 2004 21:11:58 -0500, "Alan McKay"
wrote:

Around here most communities have a hazardous waste depot
and that's where you take paint

Around here the hazardous waste disposal sites will only accept paints
that are in fact HAZARDOUS, water based paints are not accepted and
you are advised to let them evaporate and let them be collected with
your household waste (garbage).

Kinda silly on their part- around here they decant the latex paint into big
barrels (when you mix multi-colors of latex, you get beige, no matter what
colors you start with), and use it on park restroom interiors and such that
basically have to be repainted several times a year to cover grafitti.

aem sends...

MrAoD

C.Swartz writes:

Howdy all.

Hiya hoss.

I have a few quarts of unused paint to get rid of. They are
full quarts.

Quarts? Not gallons?

If I leave the lids off of them will the paint eventually
dry out? The trash will take unused paint so long as it's dried out.

Earth Day is coming up. Round these parts (Metro DC) the counties have an
organized "hazmat drop-off" day in honor of the occasion.. Not just for hazmat
materials but anything construction related, esp. paint.

True hazmat (lead paint, banned pesticides , solvents, etc) goes into the decon
stream. Building materials which are reusable go into the reuse/remanufacture
stream.

So before you dry/toss check out your local options.

If you must dry and trash the paint, non-clumping kitty litter is recommended
to speed the process.

Best,

Marc
PacKat

C.Swartz wrote:
Howdy all. I have a few quarts of unused paint to get rid

of. They are
full quarts. If I leave the lids off of them will the

paint eventually
dry out? The trash will take unused paint so long as it's

dried out.

What is the life span of paint? I also have over a gallon
of Poly left over. THere is a copule of small rooms I plan
to poly this summer. I kept the paint in hte original
container with lid closed real tight. Am I an any danger?

pac

-Chris

Edwin Pawlowski

"PacKat" wrote in message
What is the life span of paint? I also have over a gallon
of Poly left over. THere is a copule of small rooms I plan
to poly this summer. I kept the paint in hte original
container with lid closed real tight. Am I an any danger?

pac

Danger? Not at all.
I've had poly for a couple of years and it worked ok when I used it again.
Ed

AJScott

In article ,
C.Swartz wrote:

Howdy all. I have a few quarts of unused paint to get rid of. They are
full quarts. If I leave the lids off of them will the paint eventually
dry out? The trash will take unused paint so long as it's dried out.

-Chris

You can either listen to the fine folks here or just jump to
http://www.earth911.org/master.asp?s...t=1&serviceid=
for info on getting rid of stuff like this in your local area.

Found the home link on the wooden paint-mixing sticks they give out at
Home Depot, BTW.

AJS
John Hines

"ameijers" wrote:

.. .
wrote:

Around here most communities have a hazardous waste depot
and that's where you take paint

Around here the hazardous waste disposal sites will only accept paints
that are in fact HAZARDOUS, water based paints are not accepted and
you are advised to let them evaporate and let them be collected with
your household waste (garbage).

Kinda silly on their part- around here they decant the latex paint into big
barrels (when you mix multi-colors of latex, you get beige, no matter what
colors you start with), and use it on park restroom interiors and such that
basically have to be repainted several times a year to cover grafitti.

The local recycling place sells off the recycled latex paint in 5-gal
buckets.

Good for priming new drywall before the real paint
DanG

Contact your local school and ask for the art department or
teacher. I bet it will be put to good use.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Keep the whole world singing. . . .
DanG

"C.Swartz" wrote in message

Howdy all. I have a few quarts of unused paint to get rid of.

They are
full quarts. If I leave the lids off of them will the paint

eventually
dry out? The trash will take unused paint so long as it's dried

out.

-Chris

George E. Cawthon

wrote:

Howdy all. I have a few quarts of unused paint to get rid of. They are
full quarts. If I leave the lids off of them will the paint eventually
dry out? The trash will take unused paint so long as it's dried out.

-Chris

yes. Or, you could sell them at a garage sale.

Or give it to the dump. Our dump recycles such material by reselling
it. Same applies for a variety of solvents.

George E. Cawthon

SteveB wrote:

"C.Swartz" wrote in message

Howdy all. I have a few quarts of unused paint to get rid of. They are
full quarts. If I leave the lids off of them will the paint eventually
dry out? The trash will take unused paint so long as it's dried out.

-Chris

For those things, our trash company has amnesty days where you can take them
ANYTHING (except a dead body), and they will dispose of it. The nasty stuff
like acetone, MEK, and that sort of stuff. I think they get federal $$$ for
doing it, but we do get to drop the stuff off for free. Only downside is
that you have to take it to their location. Call 'em.

Steve

Are you sure they don't resell the stuff to the public? Our's has a
store located at the dump for taking the hazardous materials and also
buying whatever is on the shelves.
Charlie Bress

"C.Swartz" wrote in message

Howdy all. I have a few quarts of unused paint to get rid of. They are
full quarts. If I leave the lids off of them will the paint eventually
dry out? The trash will take unused paint so long as it's dried out.

-Chris

In this morning's Sarasota Florida newspaper there is an announcement that
the county is giving away to residents recycled, reconstituted, latex paint.
Several colors are available. Proof of residency is required.

There is a better way.

Charlie