Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Disposing of used finishing liquids

I would appreciate suggestions for responsibly disposing the thinners and
spirits used in finishing. I end up with old soup cans or containers with a
cup of brush cleaning residue - how do I get rid of it without causing
environmental problems?

And, sorry for the mispost in alt.binaries.pictures,woodworking.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Ken Nuzum wrote:
I would appreciate suggestions for responsibly disposing the thinners and
spirits used in finishing. I end up with old soup cans or containers with a
cup of brush cleaning residue - how do I get rid of it without causing
environmental problems?

And, sorry for the mispost in alt.binaries.pictures,woodworking.

Use a tight sealing container such as an old paint can, a half full
paint can that you need to dispose of, or any solvent proof jug (I use
plastic detergent bottles with the spout cut out) and put your
material in there.

You city should have a hazardous waste station somewhere to get rid of
it properly and responsibly and keep it out of the city dump.

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

I usually combine them into a couple of old plastic five gallon jug that I
keep outside, away from the house. When they are full, I take them to the
local waste disposal site. I a previous, more rural, life I drizzled the
contents along the base of my chain link fence. Good weed control.
Probably not good for the environment.

RonB

"Ken Nuzum" wrote in message
news:hdednVg3xPAlTJfYnZ2dnUVZ_vednZ2d@massilloncab letv.com...
I would appreciate suggestions for responsibly disposing the thinners and
spirits used in finishing. I end up with old soup cans or containers with
cup of brush cleaning residue - how do I get rid of it without causing
environmental problems?

And, sorry for the mispost in alt.binaries.pictures,woodworking.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Ken Nuzum" wrote in message
news:hdednVg3xPAlTJfYnZ2dnUVZ_vednZ2d@massilloncab letv.com...
I would appreciate suggestions for responsibly disposing the thinners and
spirits used in finishing. I end up with old soup cans or containers with
cup of brush cleaning residue - how do I get rid of it without causing
environmental problems?

And, sorry for the mispost in alt.binaries.pictures,woodworking.

If you don't have local "Hazardous Waste Roundups", then take it to a local
body shop or paint supplier, most will be happy to combine it with thier
stuff.

Dave

Posted to rec.woodworking

Ken Nuzum wrote:
I would appreciate suggestions for responsibly disposing the
thinners and spirits used in finishing. I end up with old soup cans
or containers with a cup of brush cleaning residue - how do I get
rid of it without causing environmental problems?

Fire starter. We burn tons of tree trash every year and it works
great. So does the used motor oil.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to rec.woodworking

Ken Nuzum wrote:
I would appreciate suggestions for responsibly disposing the
thinners and spirits used in finishing. I end up with old soup cans
or containers with a cup of brush cleaning residue - how do I get
rid of it without causing environmental problems?

Fire starter. We burn tons of tree trash every year and it works
great. So does the used motor oil.

--

dadiOH

You certainly don't live in California!
Dave

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Ken Nuzum"
I would appreciate suggestions for responsibly disposing the thinners and
spirits used in finishing. I end up with old soup cans or containers with
cup of brush cleaning residue - how do I get rid of it without causing
environmental problems?

"CW"
Flush it down the toilet like everyone else.

The horror! The horror! The horror!

;~)

Dave

Posted to rec.woodworking

I think it was "Ken Nuzum" who stated:

I would appreciate suggestions for responsibly disposing the thinners and
spirits used in finishing. I end up with old soup cans or containers with a
cup of brush cleaning residue - how do I get rid of it without causing
environmental problems?

I leave 'em outside to evaporate into the air and then throw the solid
waste that's left (if any) into the ordinary garbage.

-Don
--
"What do *you* care what other people think?" --Arline Feynman

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article hdednVg3xPAlTJfYnZ2dnUVZ_vednZ2d@massilloncabletv .com,
Ken Nuzum wrote:
I would appreciate suggestions for responsibly disposing the thinners and
spirits used in finishing. I end up with old soup cans or containers with a
cup of brush cleaning residue - how do I get rid of it without causing
environmental problems?

And, sorry for the mispost in alt.binaries.pictures,woodworking.

You could check with your local environmental authority and see if
they have any kind of pickup or drop off available. Lots of
communities have a once or twice a year "household hazardous waste"
pickup day.

--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland

Posted to rec.woodworking
Pig Pig is offline

Volume is an issue, so for example with mineral spirits, I have a mason
jar with lid and I let the solids settle out to the bottom, and pour
off the clear into another jar and reuse it; the solids I put in
another can and dispose at the haz mat cleanup day the town has. I
used to take the solids and pour over oily rags and burn in an old
paint can but my SWMBO put an end to that.

Mutt

Ken Nuzum wrote:
I would appreciate suggestions for responsibly disposing the thinners and
spirits used in finishing. I end up with old soup cans or containers with a
cup of brush cleaning residue - how do I get rid of it without causing
environmental problems?

And, sorry for the mispost in alt.binaries.pictures,woodworking.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Ken Nuzum wrote:

I would appreciate suggestions for responsibly disposing the
thinners and spirits used in finishing. I end up with old soup cans
or containers with a cup of brush cleaning residue - how do I get
rid of it without causing environmental problems?

Fire starter. We burn tons of tree trash every year and it works
great. So does the used motor oil.

--

dadiOH

You certainly don't live in California!
Dave

It really depends where in CA you live. Here in the high desert we can
get burn permits from the city, valid within a certain time frame.
There are a host of regulations (wind speed and the like) to which you
must agree when you get the permit.

Glen
Posted to rec.woodworking

Ken Nuzum wrote:

I would appreciate suggestions for responsibly disposing the thinners and
spirits used in finishing. I end up with old soup cans or containers with a
cup of brush cleaning residue - how do I get rid of it without causing
environmental problems?

And, sorry for the mispost in alt.binaries.pictures,woodworking.

The solvents generally do not need to be disposed of - they are volatile and
will evaporate. Once the finish is dry, is can be discarded in your normal
manner - i.e. liquid paint is a hazardous material, dried paint is not. The
solvents used for cleaning brushes can be reused. Pour the dirty solvents into a
container and let it sit for awhile, the solids will settle to the bottom and
the clear solvents can be reused (for cleaning purposes). After awhile, when the
container starts to fill up, pour off the as much of the solvent as you can, let
the solid gunk dry out and throw it away, then start the whole process over again.

Just don't try to mix up those different solvents...
--
JeffB
remove no.spam. to email

Posted to rec.woodworking

Don Fearn wrote:
: I think it was "Ken Nuzum" who stated:

:I would appreciate suggestions for responsibly disposing the thinners and
:spirits used in finishing. I end up with old soup cans or containers with a
:cup of brush cleaning residue - how do I get rid of it without causing
:environmental problems?

: I leave 'em outside to evaporate into the air and then throw the solid
: waste that's left (if any) into the ordinary garbage.

That's what Michael Dresdner recommends (he's a finishing guru).

-- Andy Barss

Posted to rec.woodworking

"RonB" spake thusly and wrote:

I usually combine them

Take care, sometimes chemicals can combine in unexpected ways
to make new things, not all benevolent.

Steve
--
www.sellcom.com for firewood splitters, ergonomic chairs,
office phone systems, "non-mov" surge protection, Exabyte,