Shawn Lin

Default Disposing of my old Microwave Oven?

I bought a new microwave oven, so it's time to dispose of the old one.
It's a 2yr old Sanyo Super Showerwave. It has a bad magnetron and
burned waveguide cover. The magnetron is still under warranty, but I
didn't think it was worth the cost of labor to get the magnetron
replaced. Someone who works for an authorized Sanyo repairshop should
be able to fix this thing for the cost of a paper waveguide cover. If
anyone knows of places that take repairable appliances or if anyone
wants it for the cost of Fedex Ground shipping, let me know.

I just don't have the heart to chuck it in the trash, especially since
it's in mint condition cosmetically. When fixed, it WOULD pass for
brand new!

Shawn
li_gangyi

On the topic of waveguide covers....what is it used for?? I assume it's the
shiny copper coloured piece stuck to the sides of the oven where the
microwave comes out...and why does it burn out?? Thanks in advance.

"Shawn Lin" wrote in message
om...
I bought a new microwave oven, so it's time to dispose of the old one.
It's a 2yr old Sanyo Super Showerwave. It has a bad magnetron and
burned waveguide cover. The magnetron is still under warranty, but I
didn't think it was worth the cost of labor to get the magnetron
replaced. Someone who works for an authorized Sanyo repairshop should
be able to fix this thing for the cost of a paper waveguide cover. If
anyone knows of places that take repairable appliances or if anyone
wants it for the cost of Fedex Ground shipping, let me know.

I just don't have the heart to chuck it in the trash, especially since
it's in mint condition cosmetically. When fixed, it WOULD pass for
brand new!

Shawn

Sam Goldwasser

"li_gangyi" writes:

On the topic of waveguide covers....what is it used for?? I assume it's the
shiny copper coloured piece stuck to the sides of the oven where the
microwave comes out...and why does it burn out?? Thanks in advance.

Maybe, the waveguide cover is a plastic or mica plate that covers the waveguide
exit to the oven cavity. It's basically just to prevent spatters and such
from getting into the waveguide.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ Home Page: http://www.repairfaq.org/
| Mirror Site Info: http://www.repairfaq.org/REPAIR/F_mirror.html

Important: The email address in this message header may no longer work. To
contact me, please use the Feedback Form at repairfaq.org. Thanks.

Arthur Jernberg

Almost all of the burns discovered within microwave ovens are a direct
result of splattered food debris which is not effectively cleaned off the
surfaces. Occasional some of the material will carbonize as a result of
being cooked multiple times. When this occurs it will damage the painted
surface and the wave guide cover. Cleaning of the cavity's surfaces normally
will remove cause and therefore the resulting damages.
"Sam Goldwasser" wrote in message
"li_gangyi" writes:

On the topic of waveguide covers....what is it used for?? I assume it's

the
shiny copper coloured piece stuck to the sides of the oven where the
microwave comes out...and why does it burn out?? Thanks in advance.

Maybe, the waveguide cover is a plastic or mica plate that covers the

waveguide
exit to the oven cavity. It's basically just to prevent spatters and such
from getting into the waveguide.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ Home Page: http://www.repairfaq.org/
| Mirror Site Info: http://www.repairfaq.org/REPAIR/F_mirror.html

Important: The email address in this message header may no longer work.

contact me, please use the Feedback Form at repairfaq.org. Thanks.

Shawn Lin

Mine burned out because something is wrong with the magnetron. It
melted the aluminum microwave reflector thing that was mounted behind
the waveguide cover, and also burned all the paint around the hole
that the magnetron protrudes through.

Shawn

"li_gangyi" wrote in message ...
On the topic of waveguide covers....what is it used for?? I assume it's the
shiny copper coloured piece stuck to the sides of the oven where the
microwave comes out...and why does it burn out?? Thanks in advance.

"Shawn Lin" wrote in message
om...
I bought a new microwave oven, so it's time to dispose of the old one.
It's a 2yr old Sanyo Super Showerwave. It has a bad magnetron and
burned waveguide cover. The magnetron is still under warranty, but I
didn't think it was worth the cost of labor to get the magnetron
replaced. Someone who works for an authorized Sanyo repairshop should
be able to fix this thing for the cost of a paper waveguide cover. If
anyone knows of places that take repairable appliances or if anyone
wants it for the cost of Fedex Ground shipping, let me know.

I just don't have the heart to chuck it in the trash, especially since
it's in mint condition cosmetically. When fixed, it WOULD pass for
brand new!

Shawn

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

From my understanding of older microwave ovens (from the 80s, that we
still use in the apartment buildings) the microwave reflector is
called a Stirrer. Very easy to replace. I have read that when a
megatron burns around the hole it protrudes it is because there is
carbon built up and it conducts electricity, therefore causing it to
arc. Simple sanding can fix that. I have also read that some people
rebuild that area with a epoxy putty, but I don't know how true that
is.

Of course you also need to test the case after its been opened for
microwave leaks.

Of course this is useless info since you want to get rid of the oven,
anyway.

On 28 Jul 2003 12:47:50 -0700, (Shawn Lin)
wrote:

Mine burned out because something is wrong with the magnetron. It
melted the aluminum microwave reflector thing that was mounted behind
the waveguide cover, and also burned all the paint around the hole
that the magnetron protrudes through.

Shawn

(cut)