Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Astriapo Astriapo is offline

Default Disposing of my old Microwave Oven?

From my understanding of older microwave ovens (from the 80s, that we
still use in the apartment buildings) the microwave reflector is
called a Stirrer. Very easy to replace. I have read that when a
megatron burns around the hole it protrudes it is because there is
carbon built up and it conducts electricity, therefore causing it to
arc. Simple sanding can fix that. I have also read that some people
rebuild that area with a epoxy putty, but I don't know how true that
is.

Of course you also need to test the case after its been opened for
microwave leaks.

Of course this is useless info since you want to get rid of the oven,
anyway.

On 28 Jul 2003 12:47:50 -0700, (Shawn Lin)
wrote:

Mine burned out because something is wrong with the magnetron. It
melted the aluminum microwave reflector thing that was mounted behind
the waveguide cover, and also burned all the paint around the hole
that the magnetron protrudes through.

Shawn

(cut)