Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Best way to cut 1 in. MDF ?

I need to cut many 3 in. and 6 in. holes in 1 inch MDF. I figure on
using a template and cutting on a shaper or router table ( my shaper
goes to 10K rpm) I am not sure what type of bit to use.
It would have to be bearing guided. Any input would be welcome
Thanks
Woodman

Posted to rec.woodworking

I need to cut many 3 in. and 6 in. holes in 1 inch MDF.

My first thought is a router on a trammel - basically make a long
skinny router sub-base out of 1/4" hardboard or something like that.
Sink a little finish nail at the appropriate distance from the bit,
and into your workpiece, plunge and spin (slowly). It would be much
easier on the router if you cut pretty close with a jigsaw first.

goes to 10K rpm) I am not sure what type of bit to use.
It would have to be bearing guided. Any input would be welcome

A bearing would work with a template, but so would a template guide
bushing if that's easier for you. Or a larger round template, and
just use the edge of your stock sub-base as a guide (note - this might
not be as accurate as a bearing or bushing).
Good luck,
Andy

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 23, 6:38 pm, Andy wrote:
I need to cut many 3 in. and 6 in. holes in 1 inch MDF.

My first thought is a router on a trammel - basically make a long
skinny router sub-base out of 1/4" hardboard or something like that.
Sink a little finish nail at the appropriate distance from the bit,
and into your workpiece, plunge and spin (slowly). It would be much
easier on the router if you cut pretty close with a jigsaw first.

goes to 10K rpm) I am not sure what type of bit to use.
It would have to be bearing guided. Any input would be welcome

A bearing would work with a template, but so would a template guide
bushing if that's easier for you. Or a larger round template, and
just use the edge of your stock sub-base as a guide (note - this might
not be as accurate as a bearing or bushing).
Good luck,
Andy

The guide bushing sounds good . Can you rec. a bit to use with that
Thanks

Posted to rec.woodworking

The guide bushing sounds good . Can you rec. a bit to use with that
Thanks

I like a solid carbide spiral upcut bit, but they can be a little
expensive. You can try a solid carbide end mill - same thing, cheaper
price when it doesn't say "router bit". Check the archives for
sources.
A straight bit would work fine too, but most aren't intended for
plunge cuts. You could start it with a hand-drilled pilot hole or
something like that.
Andy

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 23, 6:42 pm, woodman"
wrote:
On Apr 23, 6:38 pm, Andy wrote:

[...]

If you start off with a large diameter bushing, you can cut the hole
with a small bit, then leave the template in place and drop a rabbet
in with a large diameter bit so can you flush mount your drivers.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 23 Apr 2007 15:32:39 -0700, woodman"
wrote:

I need to cut many 3 in. and 6 in. holes in 1 inch MDF. I figure on
using a template and cutting on a shaper or router table ( my shaper
goes to 10K rpm) I am not sure what type of bit to use.
It would have to be bearing guided. Any input would be welcome
Thanks
Woodman

The effort is making the template with a perfect round hole in it. I'd
use a circle cutting bit in a drill press using hardboard. If you
want to cut perfectly-spaced holes make at least two same-sized holes
in your template--that way you can use one hole as an index. Use
either clamps or double-sided tape to fasten to the MDF. A
spiral-cutting bit with a bearing would be ideal. A straight-cutting
bit would be my second choice. Use good DC, dust mask. MDF is rough
on cutting tools and lungs.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Router can cut accurate circle templets.
Index the templet to the MDF, waste most of the disk with a jigsaw,
then trim to templet with assorted trimmers or straight bits and
collars.
Good starter router :
http://patwarner.com/621_offset.html

On Apr 23, 3:32 pm, woodman"
wrote:
I need to cut many 3 in. and 6 in. holes in 1 inch MDF. I figure on
using a template and cutting on a shaper or router table ( my shaper
goes to 10K rpm) I am not sure what type of bit to use.
It would have to be bearing guided. Any input would be welcome
Thanks
Woodman

Posted to rec.woodworking

The templets can be made from router and subbase like the one at the
link: http://patwarner.com/621_offset.html
Once the templet is clamped and indexed to the work you can trim to
templet wth bearing guided trimmers or collars & straight bits.
Wasting 1" MDF can make the mess of the century on the router table or
shaper.
I'd clamp the work to the bench, fashion a bottom cover (with a hole
in it for a vacuum connector) and clamp it to the underside of the
panel. With the vac. running you stand a good chance of avoiding lung
cancer. Without it, you will have dust, even in the attic, weeks
later.
PW

On Apr 23, 3:32 pm, woodman"
wrote:
I need to cut many 3 in. and 6 in. holes in 1 inch MDF. I figure on
using a template and cutting on a shaper or router table ( my shaper
goes to 10K rpm) I am not sure what type of bit to use.
It would have to be bearing guided. Any input would be welcome
Thanks
Woodman

Posted to rec.woodworking

Sorry.. that was bad link...

Try this one:
http://www.woodworker.com/cgi-bin/FU...0&LARGEVIEW=ON

Pat Barber wrote:

http://www.woodworker.com/cgi-bin/search.exe?BP=1

I would also buy a spiral bit for the best cut...

This was designed by speaker cabinet guys...