Posted to rec.woodworking
Kyle Boatright

Default How to Cut MDF

I understand MDF is rough on saw blades, so I'm leery of running it through
the tablesaw.

How do y'all cut the stuff?

Posted to rec.woodworking
James \Cubby\ Culbertson

"Kyle Boatright" wrote in message
I understand MDF is rough on saw blades, so I'm leery of running it through
the tablesaw.

How do y'all cut the stuff?

Through the table saw. I typically don't use the stuff in a fine furniture
sense so will usually chuck up a somewhat rough blade to cut it. The odd
times I did need a nice cut, I used my expensive blade. Didn't seem to
cause issues but again it was only a few cuts.
Cheers,
cc

Posted to rec.woodworking
www

I understand MDF is rough on saw blades, so I'm leery of running it
through
the tablesaw.

How do y'all cut the stuff?

It's no worse than many hardwoods. I wouldn't worry to much. Attack it with
the tablesaw and you shouldnt have too many problems.
Employ proper dust collection however and personal dust protection.

--
Regards,

Dean Bielanowski
Editor,
Online Tool Reviews
http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com
Latest 6 Reviews:
- Ryobi One+ Cordless Tool System
- Festool CT Mini Dust Extractor
- Kreg K3 Pocket Hole Joinery System
- Incra Miter Express
- Book: Scroll Saw Fundamentals
- Ryobi BT3100K Table Saw System

Posted to rec.woodworking
Robatoy

In article ,
"Kyle Boatright" wrote:

I understand MDF is rough on saw blades, so I'm leery of running it through
the tablesaw.

How do y'all cut the stuff?

A narrow kerf means less dust.

Posted to rec.woodworking
David

Kyle Boatright wrote:

I understand MDF is rough on saw blades, so I'm leery of running it through
the tablesaw.

How do y'all cut the stuff?

Table saw. g

dave

Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe Barta

Kyle Boatright wrote:

I understand MDF is rough on saw blades, so I'm leery of running
it through the tablesaw.

How do y'all cut the stuff?

If you think about it, it's much like very dense cardboard. No harder
on a blade than that. Very dusty though.
Posted to rec.woodworking
David

Joe Barta wrote:

Kyle Boatright wrote:

I understand MDF is rough on saw blades, so I'm leery of running
it through the tablesaw.

How do y'all cut the stuff?

If you think about it, it's much like very dense cardboard. No harder
on a blade than that. Very dusty though.

You are forgetting about all the glue binding all those zillions of
particles together, Joe.

Dave
Posted to rec.woodworking
Edwin Pawlowski

"Kyle Boatright" wrote in message
I understand MDF is rough on saw blades, so I'm leery of running it through
the tablesaw.

How do y'all cut the stuff?

Part of the cost of the hobby (or business) is using tools that wear and
have to be replaced. Blades wear out. Drill bits and router bits wear out.
Narrows the choice to using a blade that is eventually going to wear out or
giving up woodworking and buying a tank full of guppies. Some have really
neat colors. Eventually they die too, and have to be replaced.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Frank Ketchum

"Kyle Boatright" wrote in message
I understand MDF is rough on saw blades, so I'm leery of running it through
the tablesaw.

How do y'all cut the stuff?

Put original blade that came with tablesaw back on and cut away. Who cares
how fine the cut is since mdf basically looks like compressed dog ****
anyway.

BTW, the dust is particularly nasty with this stuff. Be sure and use good
dust collection and/or a mask.

Frank

Posted to rec.woodworking
Kevin L. Bowling

Since any MDF I've ever used was "in the field" I've always cut with a
circular saw with a straight edge clamped down to get the "factory edge". I
don't particularly like MDF and don't use it on any of my own projects. Only
on jobs where the customer furnishes material. It does paint well and it's
fairly hard and flat and cheap. IMO it don't seem any harder on a blade than
anything else. Partical Board is much worse on a blade. The dust is extreme.
I really, really don't like the stuff. If you're building bookshelves it'll
sag. Might be ok for jigs and such but I doubt it.

Kevin

Posted to rec.woodworking
Lew Hodgett

Subject

VERY CAREFULLY.

Lew
Posted to rec.woodworking
John B

Kyle Boatright wrote:
I understand MDF is rough on saw blades, so I'm leery of running it through
the tablesaw.

How do y'all cut the stuff?

G'day Kyle,
With a saw dear Lisa with a saw.
I have used MDF extensively and found it no harder on blades than other
timbers. Jarrah for one, definitely gives the blades a much harder time
then MDF.
Like everything, it has it's place and uses and in those situations it
surpasses other products.
Sometimes people just take longer than others to accept new products.
Check out your tools, fellows, plastic handles, Nylon Bushes. Go with
the flow. No good ordering the tide to stop

regards
John
Posted to rec.woodworking
Guess who

On Fri, 30 Dec 2005 02:01:23 GMT, "CW" wrote:

Tablesaw. It's not as bad as some would have you believe.

How do y'all cut the stuff?

But wear a dust mask, even if you have an 'efficient' vaccuum system.
It's the dust you can't see, not the dust you can that is the bother
in the long run.