Posted to rec.woodworking

Default OT - Propane regulator

I know this is off topic, but folks here are usually pretty well
versed in a variety of areas so I'll give it a try.

I have a portable propane grill, which comes with a regulator. Its
always been pretty poor at flowing propane, the size of the flames is
very low and even on High you can't really sear anything. As my bulk
adapter and 20lb tank gets beyond 1/2 empty, it seems that the
regulator cannot even keep the burner lit the flow is so low. If I
hold the regulator knob in all the way, flow is increased somewhat. I
had a "rig" fix of a coat hanger bent so that I could clip it over the
knob and it would hold it down, but even that hasn't been a good fix.
I have had another similar grill that rusted out and that regulator
was the same way, so I don't belive its the regulator.

Is there a way I can either modify the regulator to flow more ? (it
is in a sealed metal case with a combo on/off high/med/low knob) Has
anyone opened one up? Can I bypass the regulator all together and
adjust the flow via a valve? The issue is getting fittings to work as
propane of course uses unique fittings so that people like me don't
try to mess with it!

Thanks

Posted to rec.woodworking

How long are your hoses?

Is the grill built for propane or does it possibly have the innards for
natural gas?

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022
01.908.542.0244

V8013-R

"scott" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

"scott" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Have you tried cleaning it?
It wouldn't work so poorly unless somthing was wrong with it; so it is
either broken or clogged.

Posted to rec.woodworking

scott writes:
I know this is off topic, but folks here are usually pretty well
versed in a variety of areas so I'll give it a try.

I have a portable propane grill, which comes with a regulator. Its
always been pretty poor at flowing propane, the size of the flames is
very low and even on High you can't really sear anything. As my bulk
adapter and 20lb tank gets beyond 1/2 empty, it seems that the
regulator cannot even keep the burner lit the flow is so low. If I
hold the regulator knob in all the way, flow is increased somewhat. I
had a "rig" fix of a coat hanger bent so that I could clip it over the
knob and it would hold it down, but even that hasn't been a good fix.
I have had another similar grill that rusted out and that regulator
was the same way, so I don't belive its the regulator.

Modern regulators have a device to restrict fuel flow if they
are used improperly, or there is a leak in the system downstream
of the regulator. This exhibits as you've described above.

You should first test your burners and valves for leaks and clean
any insect traps preventing combustion air from reaching the burners.
Also, ensure that the regulator vent is appropriately located (e.g. on
Weber grills, it should be at 3, 6 or 9-o'clock positions, with 6
o'clock producing the best result).

Regulators are sealed assemblies that should not be disassembled.

The owners manual for your grill should discuss this topic.

scott

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 23, 2:51 pm, scott wrote:
[...]

Yes, I have opened one up. There is a flow control valve inside that
is easily adjustable. Take the knob off and work in from there. You
will see an adjustment screw. Adjust it and observe the flame
height. Adjust until you are satisfied.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 23, 2:51 pm, scott wrote:
[...]

Yes I have opened one up and there is an easily adjustable flow
control valve. Take off the knob and work inwards from there. You
can't miss it. Adjust it, then observe the resulting flames. Adjust
until you are happy with the output.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 23, 5:14 pm, maico wrote:
On Apr 23, 2:51 pm, scott wrote:

[...]

until you are happy with the output.- Hide quoted text -

Sorry about the double post, I thought it didn't post my first
response!

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 23, 7:06 pm, maico wrote:
On Apr 23, 5:14 pm, maico wrote:

On Apr 23, 2:51 pm, scott wrote:

[...]

Thanks folks- Yes, it is propane and not NG. The grill is a cheap ass
Sunbeam and I don't expect to get anywhere with the mfg. I will try
to adjust as recommended - that will be sweet if it works! Thanks! I
had checked for insect obstructions and the like, I've had that one
before. I was about to start using it as charcoal grill or toss the
whole dang thing as it was driving me bonkers.

Scott

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 24, 1:28 am, scott wrote:
On Apr 23, 7:06 pm, maico wrote:

On Apr 23, 5:14 pm, maico wrote:

On Apr 23, 2:51 pm, scott wrote:

[...]

REAL charcoal (not that ****e made outta glue and dust) is far
superior to gas.

Get a good charcoal grill and don't look back - your tastebuds will
thank you!

D'ohBoy

Posted to rec.woodworking

The problem is most likely in your burner assemblies.

Believe it or not things like spiders like to nest in the orifices etc. Use
a welding torch cleaner to clear the gas orifices.

If its an older BBQ then you may want to buy a new regulator. The
spring/diaphragms can degrade over time. Generally regulators are sealed
from the factory and non-serviceable nor adjustable.

"Toller" wrote in message

"scott" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

scott wrote:
[...]

First off, what you are calling a regulator sounds like the burner
valve. If this grille is like the last one I had, there was a separate
regulator at the tank that dropped pressure to a standard, then the hose
from the tank fed the individual burner valves.
If this grille works reasonably when the tank is full, but the flame
gets lower as the tank is past half (heading for empty), either the
regulator at the tank isn't putting out the pressure is should (which is
really low, something like 3" of water column). Adjusting the
secondary screw on the back of the valve (if yours has one) can help
some, but first you need to get decent flow from the tank/regulator combo.
If the regulator is indeed bad, you can get one at a propane supply
store, but if this is a cheap grille, they'll probably want nearly as
much as the grille cost.
A secondary problem might be the tank. The ability for a propane tank
to provide gas is a function of "wetted area" of the gas on the metal
walls of the cylinder. When the tank is full, the liquid inside covers
something like 80% of the surface area of the tank, and there is plenty
of thermal exchange to vaporize the liquid to its gas state. This makes
the walls of the tank cold (which is the way the tank guage strips work,
you pour warm water on the side of the tank, the strip shows the cold
part which is the level of the liquid, compared to the warm part where
the gas contacts the wall of the tank). If you are in a cold
environment, just pouring warm water on the tank will make a difference.
So will putting the tank in a tub of water, which transfers more heat
than open air. Let's say you had a high end grille and a 20 gallon tank
that worked just fine in your normal temperature. Changing to a 5
gallon tank may provide much the symptom you describe, because the tank
can't supply the same amount of gas as the larger one because it doesn't
have enough surface area to provide the heat sink needed to evaporate
the gas without making ice on the outside of the tank.

Foor dor thought??

Thanks
-0-Rick