Grant Erwin

Default propane regulator question

I'm building some pipe burners and as part of testing/tuning I'm wishing I
had a pressure gage to read gas pressure. My LP regulator has a threaded hole
in the side which looks like just the place to add one. However, there is no
plug in it, nor does it leak. At the very bottom of the hole it looks like
there's some sort of membrane (my eyes are an old 52) and with certainty no
gas comes out the hole. I don't know how to ask this question any more
intelligently, so I'll just ask it dumb: what's up with this unplugged hole
that doesn't leak? If I want to add a pressure gage, do I have to drill it
out or is there some sort of Schrader valve that will "know" a gage is
screwed in there?

I know I can buy a Goss or Fisher regulator. Mine came on a Magnum roofing
torch and works very well, and money *is* an issue for me, so I'd rather
stick with the regulator I have.

GWE
Martin H. Eastburn

Grant Erwin wrote:

[...]

One thing to think about - Oxygen system - the breathing type - use a setup
like Propane tank connection to gages.
The high guage is over the top of pressure and the bottom might
be low - but one or the other is the way to go. Second hand types maybe.
The gages are low cost - by them selves if one doesn't demand high quality...

Martin

--
Martin Eastburn, Barbara Eastburn
@ home at Lion's Lair with our computer
Jack Hayes

"Grant Erwin" wrote in message
[...]

Grant; What you are describing sounds like the vent port on the regulator,
regulators need a reference to atmospheric pressure to operate. A tee at the
outlet of the regulator would be a good location for pressure measurement,
if you are likely to operate in the several pounds range the cheapest gauge
may be one normally used on a water pump system, not great gauges but
economical.

Jack

Bugs

You'll find a test plug somewhere on the regulator. Get a piece of 1/4"
poly tubing and nail [staple?] it on a board to make a 'U' tube
manometer about 18" long. Connect to the test plug with a tubing
adaptor. fill the U-tube 1/2 full of water. turn on the gas pressure.
Measure the pressure differential at the water surfaces in the U-tube.
Should be 11". If you want to get fancy put some red food coloring in
the water.
Bugs

Greg O

"Bugs" wrote in message
oups.com...
You'll find a test plug somewhere on the regulator.

Maybe, maybe not!
Greg

jerry wass

I think this is a "vent to atmosphere" on the backside of the diaphragm.

Greg O wrote:

"Bugs" wrote in message
oups.com...

You'll find a test plug somewhere on the regulator.

Maybe, maybe not!
Greg

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 09:26:44 -0800, Grant Erwin
wrote:

Why would they thread it female 1/4" NPT then? Doesn't matter, I've already
plumbed up a tee ..

GWE

It is threaded 1/4 NPT so a remote vent can be installed to divert any
leakage "overboard". This is necessary in some installs because
propane is heavier than air and it is necessary to prevent propane
"puddling" if the diaphragm leaks.

jerry wass wrote:

I think this is a "vent to atmosphere" on the backside of the diaphragm.

Greg O wrote:

oups.com...