Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Grant Erwin

Default using an acetyene regulator on propane

I just talked to Victor customer service. I called them to find out if I can use
their medium duty single stage acetylene regulator, no. SR-260A, on a propane
tank. They told me the following:

Both acetylene and propane cylinders use a CGA 510 connector (aka a POL fitting)
so you can generally use an acetylene regulator on a propane tanks but most
acetylene regulators are set up for the range 2-15 psi so if you plan to use
more propane than that you should either get your acetylene regulator modified
to use a stronger spring and different gauge or you should use a regulator set
up for propane. In addition, once you use a regulator for propane (which leaves
tarry residue inside) you should not go back to acetylene with that regulator.

As this has come up here before, I thought I'd pass this along for comment or FYI.

GWE
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Roy

Been using an acetylene regulator on my propane foundry furnaces for a
few years now, works just fine....I don;t know about the 2-15 range,
but even on an acetylene cylinder it was easy to run pressures up past
the recomended range.......perhaps accuracy of gauge / reg is off at a
higher output pressure, but for my use it is certainly not noticeable.

--
\\\|///
( @ @ )

oooO
---------( )----Oooo----------------
\ ( ( )
\_) ) /
(_/
The original frugal ponder ! Koi-ahoi mates....
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
digitalmaster

wrote:
[...]

It is not a good idea to run acetylene at pressure above 15 psi.Above 15 psi
acetylene is unstable and can spontaniously explode.To acheive higher
pressure in an acetylene cylinder the acetylene is dissolved in
acetone.Hence the red marking for 15 psi and above on the regulator.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Koi-Lo

On Wed, 8 Mar 2006 17:19:51 -0500, "digitalmaster"
wrote:

"Roy" wrote in message
Been using an acetylene regulator on my propane foundry furnaces for a
few years now, works just fine....I don;t know about the 2-15 range,
but even on an acetylene cylinder it was easy to run pressures up past
the recomended range.......perhaps accuracy of gauge / reg is off at a
higher output pressure, but for my use it is certainly not noticeable.

snip

Pretty sure most who use acetylene is aware of this, but it does not
apply if a acetylene reg is use with propane.

It is not a good idea to run acetylene at pressure above 15 psi.Above 15 psi
acetylene is unstable and can spontaniously explode.To acheive higher
pressure in an acetylene cylinder the acetylene is dissolved in
acetone.Hence the red marking for 15 psi and above on the regulator.

--
\\\|///
( @ @ )
-----------oOOo(_)oOOo---------------

oooO
---------( )----Oooo----------------
\ ( ( )
\_) ) /
(_/
The original frugal ponder ! Koi-ahoi mates....
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
digitalmaster

"Koi-Lo" wrote in message
On Wed, 8 Mar 2006 17:19:51 -0500, "digitalmaster"
wrote:

"Roy" wrote in message
t...
[...]

You would be astounded at the number of people who use a torch daily and do
not know why the acetylene regulator redlines at 15 psi.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Richard Lamb

digitalmaster wrote:

It is not a good idea to run acetylene at pressure above 15 psi.Above 15 psi
acetylene is unstable and can spontaniously explode.To acheive higher
pressure in an acetylene cylinder the acetylene is dissolved in
acetone.Hence the red marking for 15 psi and above on the regulator.

I thought this was discussed a while back?

Anybody remember that?

deflagrate

Pronunciation: 'def-l&-"grAt
Function: verb
Inflected Form(s): -grat·ed; -grat·ing
Etymology: Latin deflagratus, past participle of deflagrare to burn down, from
de- + flagrare to burn -- more at BLACK
transitive senses : to cause to deflagrate -- compare DETONATE 1
intransitive senses : to burn rapidly with intense heat and sparks being given off
- def·la·gra·tion /"def-l&-'grA-sh&n/ noun

detonate

Pronunciation: 'de-t&n-"At, 'de-t&-"nAt
Function: verb
Inflected Form(s): -nat·ed; -nat·ing
Etymology: French détoner to explode, from Latin detonare to expend thunder,
from de- + tonare to thunder -- more at THUNDER
intransitive senses : to explode with sudden violence
transitive senses
1 : to cause to detonate detonate a bomb -- compare DEFLAGRATE
2 : to set off in a burst of activity : SPARK programs that detonated
controversies
- det·o·nat·able /-"A-t&-b&l, -"nA-/ adjective
- det·o·na·tive /'de-t&n-"A-tiv, 'de-t&-"nA-/ adjective

explode

Pronunciation: ik-'splOd
Function: verb
Inflected Form(s): ex·plod·ed; ex·plod·ing
Etymology: Latin explodere to drive off the stage by clapping, from ex- +
plaudere to clap
transitive senses
1 archaic : to drive from the stage by noisy disapproval
2 : to bring into disrepute or discredit explode a theory
3 : to cause to explode or burst noisily explode a bomb
intransitive senses
1 : to burst forth with sudden violence or noise from internal energy: as a :
to undergo a rapid chemical or nuclear reaction with the production of noise,
heat, and violent expansion of gases dynamite explodes b : to burst
violently as a result of pressure from within
2 a : to give forth a sudden strong and noisy outburst of emotion exploded in
anger b : to move with sudden speed and force exploded from the starting gate
3 : to increase rapidly the population of the city exploded
- ex·plod·er noun

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Roy

I can relate to that...but how is this for a dirty deed. I had a
friend who was going through a divorice. He would have offed h is old
lady if he could. We was a welder by trade. So what he did was
inflated her tires on the 1970 Impalla with acetylene, with the
concept that when she made her run to work (bout 80 miles one way) on
the interstate in the summer, those tires would get hotter, and
pressure would increase over what he had them inflated to, and
possibly blow and hopefully she would loose control.....or maybe hit
a pot hole and have it explode.....She went to work one day, made the
round trip uneventfull, and later on he had second thoughts as to what
he did, and wound up slicing her tires to get back at her let the
acetylene out. They were in th process of a divorice and still lived
in the same house all that time.......In theory I guess his idea could
very well work.......but she made a decenlty long run to and from and
on rough Pennsylvania interstates just fine....

On Wed, 8 Mar 2006 18:49:48 -0500, "digitalmaster"
wrote:

"Koi-Lo" wrote in message
On Wed, 8 Mar 2006 17:19:51 -0500, "digitalmaster"
wrote:

"Roy" wrote in message
k.net...
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pig Bladder

On Thu, 09 Mar 2006 01:10:31 +0000, Roy wrote:

[...]

Dood, tires are rubber. If you want them to blow up, fill them with O2
or OA mix.
--
Flap!
The Pig Bladder from Uranus, still waiting for that