Posted to rec.woodworking

Default urns

Has anyone ever made a wooden urn for burial ashes ?
I looked at some on the web & all they appeared to be is a plain square
box that is sealed.

thanks in advance
michael lane

Posted to rec.woodworking

Has anyone ever made a wooden urn for burial ashes ?
I looked at some on the web & all they appeared to be is a plain square
box that is sealed.

thanks in advance
michael lane

I have been making urns for about 12 years now. About 80% of my sales is
for remains of various pets. I work through local pet clinics and
crematories to get my product out.

Jerry

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 21, 7:59 am, (Michael Lane) wrote:
Has anyone ever made a wooden urn for burial ashes ?
I looked at some on the web & all they appeared to be is a plain square
box that is sealed.

thanks in advance
michael lane

I haven't made one myself, but one of the guys in my woodturning club
made one for his wife before she passed. His wife always admired his
work and knew how important his woodturning was to him, so she asked
him to turn her an urn for her ashes.

When he approached the funeral home for their advice, they gave him
the state requirements for the urn. It had to be of a certain
internal dimension, seal a certain way and so on. If the vessel
didn't conform to the minimum requirements, it would have been illegal
for he funeral home to use the urn. The funeral director was able to
inspect the urn on behalf of the state before interring the ashes, so
all went well.

I don't think there is a requirement for pet urns, but for human urns,
you should check with the proper authorities before starting.

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 21, 9:59 am, "Jerry V" wrote:
Has anyone ever made a wooden urn for burial ashes ?
I looked at some on the web & all they appeared to be is a plain square
box that is sealed.

thanks in advance
michael lane

I have been making urns for about 12 years now. About 80% of my sales is
for remains of various pets. I work through local pet clinics and
crematories to get my product out.

Jerry

What a great way to use up my smaller pieces of solid surface
materials...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 21, 11:46 am, "
wrote:

I'm sorry, but I just have to:

Q: What's a Grecian urn?
A: Usually minimum wage plus tips.

from the same children's book:

Q: How do you make a Venetian blind?

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote in message

On Apr 21, 9:59 am, "Jerry V" wrote:
Has anyone ever made a wooden urn for burial ashes ?
I looked at some on the web & all they appeared to be is a plain square
box that is sealed.

thanks in advance
michael lane

I have been making urns for about 12 years now. About 80% of my sales is
for remains of various pets. I work through local pet clinics and
crematories to get my product out.

Jerry

What a great way to use up my smaller pieces of solid surface
materials...

Is the world ready for Corian urns??

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 21, 1:24 pm, "Lee Michaels"
wrote:

Is the world ready for Corian urns??

I don't see why not. The stuff can be hermetically sealed. Engraved.
Fabricated in may shapes.
Me, I'm going to be buried standing up. A Utility pole hole auger...
slide me in, put on a garbage can lid (galvanized of course), and fill
'r back. I take up less room that way.
I'd like to go the way Hunter S did, but it aint in the budget.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 21 Apr 2007 08:46:51 -0700, "
wrote:

I don't think there is a requirement for pet urns, but for human urns,
you should check with the proper authorities before starting.

Or else just get the ashes in a cardboard box and transfer them later.
I've made a few caskets now (not a turned one though) and I've yet to
have one be the first container used.

The Corian idea sounds interesting. I know this stuff turns well,
although you need adequate lathe torque and (AFAIK) more scrapers than
usual. At present I'm setting up blanks (stacked glued rings) of
solid-colour MDF to make wide shallow hollow vessels. These might work
too. I'm planning to lacquer the first ones black, but the material
ought to finish on its own just with sanding and wax.

Cubic inch per pound of bodyweight is one useful rule of thumb though.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 21, 10:57 am, Robatoy wrote:
On Apr 21, 11:46 am, "
wrote:

I'm sorry, but I just have to:

Q: What's a Grecian urn?
A: Usually minimum wage plus tips.

from the same children's book:

Q: How do you make a Venetian blind?

OWWWWWCH.

*Crash* of the cymbals
*ba-dum-dum* of the foot base

HiYo!!!! courtesy of Ed McMahon.

A little Saturday levity never hurts.

Can't wait to try the Grecian joke on my very nerdy niece. It should
elicit a groan satisfying to any uncle.

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 21, 12:38 pm, Andy Dingley wrote:

wrote:
I don't think there is a requirement for pet urns, but for human urns, you should check with the proper authorities before starting.

Or else just get the ashes in a cardboard box and transfer them later.
I've made a few caskets now (not a turned one though) and I've yet to
have one be the first container used.

I remember you are from the UK, and I certainly can't speak for any
regulations or laws across the waves.

Certainly not to say it isn't done, but it is against federal and
state law to improperly bury or inter a human body. The constainer
(no matter the state of the cadaver - embalmed, cremated, frozen,
dismembered, etc.) must meet state and federal requirements.

Apparently the requirements aren't actually that strict, and the main
concern is the ability to seal the remains.

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Apr 21, 11:46 am, "
wrote:

I'm sorry, but I just have to:

Q: What's a Grecian urn?
A: Usually minimum wage plus tips.

from the same children's book:

Q: How do you make a Venetian blind?

Pluck his eyes out????

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 21, 7:59 am, (Michael Lane) wrote:
Has anyone ever made a wooden urn for burial ashes ?
I looked at some on the web & all they appeared to be is a plain square
box that is sealed.

thanks in advance
michael lane

My wife's family asked me to make one for her sister's ashes. They
asked for something similar to these:
http://www.urnsnw.com/hardwood-crema...mation-urn.htm

They had the standard container for the ashes from the funeral home,
so I built it to contain that. Note that the top is sealed and the
bottom is screwed on. If you use the box just as a container for the
simple plastic box that the ashes come in, you should be okay with
state and federal regs.