Posted to rec.woodworking
JGS

Default Ideas for Wood Cremation Urns

Hi,
I am looking for information on cremation urns. I plan on making one
for my future use ( a long time from now, I hope) out of wood. I know
they are sized at about 1 cu.in. / pound of person. Do they require a
liner or are they just a fancy box? I have Doug Stowe's books on box
making so I have a lot of ideas for boxes. Ideas and suggestions are
appreciated. Thanks, JG

Posted to rec.woodworking

i agree - the only requirment i'm aware of is that the remains should
be in a plastic bag just to prevent accidents if the urn should fall or
just be opened.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Wilson

On Sat, 29 Apr 2006 08:29:35 -0400, JGS wrote:

Hi,
I am looking for information on cremation urns. I plan on making one
for my future use ( a long time from now, I hope) out of wood. I know
they are sized at about 1 cu.in. / pound of person. Do they require a
liner or are they just a fancy box? I have Doug Stowe's books on box
making so I have a lot of ideas for boxes. Ideas and suggestions are
appreciated. Thanks, JG

My Dad had my step mother cremated. He is using an ornate antique jewery
box made of wood for her remains. Her remains were returned from the
funeral director in a heavy duty sealed plastic bag placed in a brown
corragated cardboard box about 7"x7"x7" in size. He keeps the cardboard
box inside the jewery box until he is gone and both my dad and step
mother's remains will be poured into the ocean / body of water, together,
per his request. The jewery box is approx. 12" x 9" x 9", large enough to
contain the corregated box. I think it represents a respectful way of
"storage"(a better term escapes me right now) until the time comes to
carry out their last request.

Posted to rec.woodworking
mac davis

On Sat, 29 Apr 2006 08:29:35 -0400, JGS wrote:

Hi,
I am looking for information on cremation urns. I plan on making one
for my future use ( a long time from now, I hope) out of wood. I know
they are sized at about 1 cu.in. / pound of person. Do they require a
liner or are they just a fancy box? I have Doug Stowe's books on box
making so I have a lot of ideas for boxes. Ideas and suggestions are
appreciated. Thanks, JG

It would probably depend on what state you're in and the state/county/city
laws..

In CA, we found that the ashes have to be in a sealed metal container, done at
the crematorium, then placed in whatever container you put around that..

If you're thinking of turning an urn, Check out this section of Bill Grumbine's
site:

http://www.enter.net/~ultradad/urn.html

Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis
Posted to rec.woodworking
Al

My uncle makes those here in Oregon he told me that you are required the
plastic bag and a container to put the bag in inside the urn. Like a hard
plastic sealable boxt that would fit inside.

I hope this helps.

Al

wrote in message
oups.com...
i agree - the only requirment i'm aware of is that the remains should
be in a plastic bag just to prevent accidents if the urn should fall or
just be opened.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Ken Muldrew

JGS wrote:

I am looking for information on cremation urns. I plan on making one
for my future use ( a long time from now, I hope) out of wood. I know
they are sized at about 1 cu.in. / pound of person. Do they require a
liner or are they just a fancy box? I have Doug Stowe's books on box
making so I have a lot of ideas for boxes. Ideas and suggestions are
appreciated. Thanks, JG

The crematorium will put the remains through a pulverizer so that you
are left with loose ash. The packaging may be different among
different funeral homes but the one I have experience with was a
plastic box about 4"x6"x3". The box I made for it is the simple teak
box on this page:

http://www.ucalgary.ca/~kmuldrew/woo...cheaphack.html

I think turned urns are more popular than boxes.

Ken Muldrew

(remove all letters after y in the alphabet)
Posted to rec.woodworking
Bradford Chaucer

Has to be sealable; friction closure is not enough. The crematorium will
place the ashes in a plastic bag which goes insode the urn so no liner
needed.

On Sun, 30 Apr 2006 07:40:36 -0700, Mike M
wrote:

I made the urn for my Dad. The funeral home said to make it about
8x8x8. They then offered to buy any extra I might make.

Mike M

wrote:

Hi,
I am looking for information on cremation urns. I plan on making one
for my future use ( a long time from now, I hope) out of wood. I know
they are sized at about 1 cu.in. / pound of person. Do they require a
liner or are they just a fancy box? I have Doug Stowe's books on box
making so I have a lot of ideas for boxes. Ideas and suggestions are
appreciated. Thanks, JG

Posted to rec.woodworking
Randy

I made boxes for the ashes of my Father, and neice. Both projects
depressed me so much I couldn't go back in the shop for months.

I have since started making Jewelry / Findings boxes for all the family, as
Christmas presents.

The ones I make are fairly large, 12L X 7H X 9D.

Chain tensioner ideas Old Nick Metalworking 19 March 27th 04 12:15 AM
need ideas jim and sharon Woodworking 5 November 14th 03 07:57 PM
Shop Layout and workbench ideas. Groggy Woodworking 0 November 5th 03 06:23 AM
need ideas for bike trailer rick fetters Metalworking 1 October 22nd 03 04:50 AM
Ideas for fixing up driveway Ian Robinson UK diy 12 August 6th 03 12:36 PM