Posted to rec.woodworking
Andy Dingley Andy Dingley is offline

Default urns

On 21 Apr 2007 08:46:51 -0700, "
wrote:

I don't think there is a requirement for pet urns, but for human urns,
you should check with the proper authorities before starting.

Or else just get the ashes in a cardboard box and transfer them later.
I've made a few caskets now (not a turned one though) and I've yet to
have one be the first container used.

The Corian idea sounds interesting. I know this stuff turns well,
although you need adequate lathe torque and (AFAIK) more scrapers than
usual. At present I'm setting up blanks (stacked glued rings) of
solid-colour MDF to make wide shallow hollow vessels. These might work
too. I'm planning to lacquer the first ones black, but the material
ought to finish on its own just with sanding and wax.

Cubic inch per pound of bodyweight is one useful rule of thumb though.