Posted to rec.woodworking

Default A different spin on Miter Gauges

I presently have a stock Delta with a homemade fence as most of you probably have. I also have a Incra 1000SE that I use 90% of the time, primarilly for quick 90drgree cuts because it is dead accurate. I am aslo thinking about an Osborne EB3.

But, the purpose of this post is to find a cheap miter gauge to build jigs on. Right now, I want to make a Finger/finger Joint jig. I have found the following:

1. Woodhaven 950 MiterMatic at $19.99 from Amazon
2. Incra MITERV27 Miter V27 Miter Gauge at $54.97 from Amazon
3. Clamping Miter Gauge at $44.95 from Woodcraft

And of course, there are all the stock ones that come with the saws.

Any ideas? Experiences?

Obviously, for 20 bucks, im not looking for a Porsche, but I do want one that will stay where it is locked and won't flex much.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Neil Larson wrote:

But, the purpose of this post is to find a cheap miter gauge to build
jigs on. Right now, I want to make a Finger/finger Joint jig. I have
found the following:

Why not make a small sled with dual runners? Given that you only need
about 8" of travel, you probably don't even need a full deck on it. I'd
probably go with an "L"-shaped fence nearest the operator (braced to
ensure it's perpendicular to the table) and just a flat piece of
ply/mdf/scrap on the far side to hold the runners at the appropriate width.

Chris

Posted to rec.woodworking
Roy Roy is offline

Leon,

Hartville Tools has the V27 on sale now for 59,99, but that includes the 24 inch extension kit and
the flip stop. Page 20 of their Spring catalog, also on the web site. I'm fixin' to order one to
replace my stock Jet gauge.

You might consider making a set of finger joint attachments to mount on a sled. With a pair of
runners, it should always run true.

A final thought. I seem to recall one of the mags (FWW? PW?) giving a thumbs up to the Grizzly
standard gauge as being pretty good and very cheap for what you got. Probably in an issue 2-3
years ago. HTH.

Regards,
Roy

On Thu, 19 Apr 2007 16:00:23 -0500, "Leon" wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 19 Apr 2007 10:48:42 -0500, "Neil Larson"
wrote:

But, the purpose of this post is to find a cheap miter gauge to build jigs on. Right now, I want to make a Finger/finger Joint jig. I have found the following:

1. Woodhaven 950 MiterMatic at $19.99 from Amazon
2. Incra MITERV27 Miter V27 Miter Gauge at $54.97 from Amazon
3. Clamping Miter Gauge at $44.95 from Woodcraft

The V27 is good for the set angles on the protractor but not so good
if you need something between the factory notches. The notches are
every 5 degrees with a couple added for common angles. If you need to
repeat 27 degrees, there is no pointer on the gauge.
It's a very accurate gauge when set up properly.

Mike O.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

But, the purpose of this post is to find a cheap miter gauge to build jigs
on. Right now, I want to make a Finger/finger Joint jig. I have found the
following:

1. Woodhaven 950 MiterMatic at $19.99 from Amazon
2. Incra MITERV27 Miter V27 Miter Gauge at $54.97 from Amazon
3. Clamping Miter Gauge at $44.95 from Woodcraft

The V27 is good for the set angles on the protractor but not so good
if you need something between the factory notches. The notches are
every 5 degrees with a couple added for common angles. If you need to
repeat 27 degrees, there is no pointer on the gauge.
It's a very accurate gauge when set up properly.

Mike O

I've never needed 27 degrees. I looked at the less expensive ones and the
Incra was my choice and I'm happy with it.
If I need some really odd angle, I cut it either on the band saw or by hand
and then run it across the jointer or hand plane it.
If you need to repeat an odd angle, it's easy to make a jig from plywood or
masonite to set the angle on the miter gage.

Shower Mixer- Pipe Gauges Neal UK diy 0 September 23rd 05 02:13 PM
Genset sngine monitoring gauges? SomeBody Metalworking 4 June 7th 05 12:53 PM
Miter gauges fence or sled? Tom Quackenbush Woodworking 6 November 21st 04 06:53 PM
Humidity gauges Eric Electronics Repair 6 October 29th 04 05:36 PM
Making plug gauges Jeffrey Lindemuth Metalworking 15 June 8th 04 12:48 AM