Posted to rec.woodworking

Default curved blade carving knife

I am looking for a carving knife with a curved blade. I was suprised
upon looking at over 20 of the usual sources to find that all of the
blades were straight edged.
I need a blade about 1" long x 1/2" wide curved on the SHARP side
(e.g. not the usual straight blade with a curved spine).
I do not want to make my own-does anyone know a dealer who sells
such a knife?

Thanks
Fritz

Posted to rec.woodworking

How about one of these?

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...30,43332,43393

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...30,43332,44073

--
Lloyd Baker

"Fritz" wrote in message
ups.com...
I am looking for a carving knife with a curved blade. I was suprised
upon looking at over 20 of the usual sources to find that all of the
blades were straight edged.
I need a blade about 1" long x 1/2" wide curved on the SHARP side
(e.g. not the usual straight blade with a curved spine).
I do not want to make my own-does anyone know a dealer who sells
such a knife?

Thanks
Fritz

Posted to rec.woodworking

Maybe a picture will help-if you scroll to about the middle of this
page you will see a knife with the blade that I seek. By provenence a
rule lies next to it so you can get an idea of the dimensions. Pretty
simple knife but you would be supirsed that there are few out there.
Scouter3 found some sites for me with similar blades but they tended
to be a lot narrower. The one shown rests nicely on the thumb when
fitting violin bridge feet which is a very delicate and precise
operation.
Thanks
Fritz

http://www.maestronet.com/forums/mes...VIEWTMP=Linear

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 13, 8:13 am, "Fritz" wrote:
Maybe a picture will help-if you scroll to about the middle of this
page you will see a knife with the blade that I seek. By provenence a
rule lies next to it so you can get an idea of the dimensions. Pretty
simple knife but you would be supirsed that there are few out there.
Scouter3 found some sites for me with similar blades but they tended
to be a lot narrower. The one shown rests nicely on the thumb when
fitting violin bridge feet which is a very delicate and precise
operation.
Thanks
Fritz

http://www.maestronet.com/forums/mes...4&threadid=254...

looks homemade. at the least, I'd think you could grind that blade
shape from a knife you could buy. something like this:
http://www.woodcraft.com/InhancedImage.aspx?FamilyID=5412
might be a good place to start.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12 Apr 2007 18:48:43 -0700, "Fritz" wrote:

I am looking for a carving knife with a curved blade. I was suprised
upon looking at over 20 of the usual sources to find that all of the
blades were straight edged.
I need a blade about 1" long x 1/2" wide curved on the SHARP side
(e.g. not the usual straight blade with a curved spine).
I do not want to make my own-does anyone know a dealer who sells
such a knife?

Thanks
Fritz

I believe both Xacto an Warren make these blades. Google Warren and
Xacto carving knife blades and I think you'll find them.

One source:

http://www.widgetsupply.com/page/WS/...fe-blade-no-28

Good luck
Bill
Posted to rec.woodworking

Fritz,

You might want to go back to the Lee Valley web site and just do a search
of their site for the word knife.

There are quite a few more carving and whittling knives there and you just
may find what you're looking for. Plus Lee Valley is a good reputable
company that, in my experience, has always been a pleasure to deal with.

I originaly only gave you links to two of the knives there that seemed to
fit your original spec's.

Now that I have a better notion of what you are after, I think that you
might want to look at the some of the other carving knives like the Veritas
or Beebe knives that they have there.

Another poster suggested trying to make your own knife and that is probably
not a bad idea. In the past I've made some decent whittling/carving knives
using hack saw blades. Not the best blades, but perfectly functional and fit
my hands like they were made for them...which they were.

Lloyd Baker

"Fritz" wrote in message
ups.com...
Maybe a picture will help-if you scroll to about the middle of this
page you will see a knife with the blade that I seek. By provenence a
rule lies next to it so you can get an idea of the dimensions. Pretty
simple knife but you would be supirsed that there are few out there.
Scouter3 found some sites for me with similar blades but they tended
to be a lot narrower. The one shown rests nicely on the thumb when
fitting violin bridge feet which is a very delicate and precise
operation.
Thanks
Fritz

http://www.maestronet.com/forums/mes...VIEWTMP=Linear

Posted to rec.woodworking

http://www.littleshavers.com/ImageFile/RELtext.jpg
Looks like the one in the middle would fit your needs, if I was
looking at the right picture.
Hope this helps,
Dee
On 12 Apr 2007 18:48:43 -0700, "Fritz" wrote:

I am looking for a carving knife with a curved blade. I was suprised
upon looking at over 20 of the usual sources to find that all of the
blades were straight edged.
I need a blade about 1" long x 1/2" wide curved on the SHARP side
(e.g. not the usual straight blade with a curved spine).
I do not want to make my own-does anyone know a dealer who sells
such a knife?

Thanks
Fritz

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12 Apr 2007 18:48:43 -0700, "Fritz" wrote:

I am looking for a carving knife with a curved blade. I was suprised
upon looking at over 20 of the usual sources to find that all of the
blades were straight edged.
I need a blade about 1" long x 1/2" wide curved on the SHARP side
(e.g. not the usual straight blade with a curved spine).
I do not want to make my own-does anyone know a dealer who sells
such a knife?

Thanks
Fritz

Another thought, you could try Flexcut. I'm pretty sure I've seen
curved bladed knives that they make. I've got a few of their chisels
and I like them.

Dee
Posted to rec.woodworking

OK and thanks for all the tips. I think I have enough to go on here.
Exacto can get me thru the weekend while I seek a finer tool.
Beebe indeed makes something pretty close--

Cheers
Fritz