Posted to rec.woodworking

Default hinge 180 degree hidden,for flushed surface

hi all my question is is there any hinge which satisfy the following,
1.180 degrees of rotation
2.door and cabinent front surface flushed
3.the hinge must be hidden

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 11, 9:13 am, wrote:
hi all my question is is there any hinge which satisfy the following,
1.180 degrees of rotation
2.door and cabinent front surface flushed
3.the hinge must be hidden

Soss makes hinges just for this application.
The barrel version is easiest to install, but not for the squeemish.

http://www.soss.com/

Posted to rec.woodworking

hi all my question is is there any hinge which satisfy the following,
1.180 degrees of rotation
2.door and cabinent front surface flushed
3.the hinge must be hidden

http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=1079
or
http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/pa...=3,41241,41265

LV also has a couple of 170 degree "euro" style hinges for inset doors
(do an item search on their page for 170)
Andy

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
ps.com...
hi all my question is is there any hinge which satisfy the following,
1.180 degrees of rotation
2.door and cabinent front surface flushed
3.the hinge must be hidden

As Andy has indicated, many Euro style hinges will get you real close to a
180 degree opening.

That said, if your doors have pulls that stick out from the front of the
door you will not be able to open the door 180 degrees regardless of what
hinge you use. With that in mind, perhaps a little shy of 180 degrees will
work also.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Robatoy wrote:
On Apr 11, 9:13 am, wrote:
hi all my question is is there any hinge which satisfy the following,
1.180 degrees of rotation
2.door and cabinent front surface flushed
3.the hinge must be hidden

Soss makes hinges just for this application.
The barrel version is easiest to install, but not for the squeemish.

http://www.soss.com/

I need to get me one of them 25/84 drill bits. ;-)
http://www.soss.com/product/features/

--
http://nmwoodworks.com/cube

---
Virus Database (VPS): 000733-0, 04/11/2007
Tested on: 4/11/2007 2:49:08 PM

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 11, 2:49 pm, Bill in Detroit wrote:
Robatoy wrote:
On Apr 11, 9:13 am, wrote:
hi all my question is is there any hinge which satisfy the following,
1.180 degrees of rotation
2.door and cabinent front surface flushed
3.the hinge must be hidden

Soss makes hinges just for this application.
The barrel version is easiest to install, but not for the squeemish.

http://www.soss.com/

I need to get me one of them 25/84 drill bits. ;-)http://www.soss.com/product/features/

.. I keep one in my drill collection kit. My index goes from 1/84" to
1" in 84ths.
Doesn't everyone's?

(psssst..don't tell anybody, Bill, but a 10 mm might work...in a
pinch...lol)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 11, 10:28 am, "Leon" wrote:
wrote in message

ps.com...

hi all my question is is there any hinge which satisfy the following,
1.180 degrees of rotation
2.door and cabinent front surface flushed
3.the hinge must be hidden

As Andy has indicated, many Euro style hinges will get you real close to a
180 degree opening.

That said, if your doors have pulls that stick out from the front of the
door you will not be able to open the door 180 degrees regardless of what
hinge you use. With that in mind, perhaps a little shy of 180 degrees will
work also.

I still think a Soss hinge is a very elegant solution. I use them
often. People ooh and ahhh a lot when they see them..I mean..when they
don't see them....I mean...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 11, 9:13 am, wrote:
hi all my question is is there any hinge which satisfy the following,
1.180 degrees of rotation
2.door and cabinent front surface flushed
3.the hinge must be hidden

I suggest a hinge no one has yet mentioned. It may require a slight
modification , to your door design but the hinge is excellent and
relatively inexpensive. It was used by professional cabinet makers
before the euro hinge was intoduced here. You can Google Youngdale
Hinges and see some data on them.
Joe G

Posted to rec.woodworking

I still think a Soss hinge is a very elegant solution. I use them
often. People ooh and ahhh a lot when they see them..I mean..when they
don't see them....I mean...

Do you find them difficult to adjust? I was going to use some for a
small cabinet I'm making right now, but I read somewhere in the
archives that they could be kind of a pain to adjust. Maybe just
compared to the Blum-type hinges? I already bought some other hinges,
so it's not urgent for me, but I do like the idea of the hidden barrel
hinge, so maybe I'll keep them in mind for the future.
Andy

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 11, 4:18 pm, "Andy" wrote:
I still think a Soss hinge is a very elegant solution. I use them
often. People ooh and ahhh a lot when they see them..I mean..when they
don't see them....I mean...

Do you find them difficult to adjust? I was going to use some for a
small cabinet I'm making right now, but I read somewhere in the
archives that they could be kind of a pain to adjust. Maybe just
compared to the Blum-type hinges? I already bought some other hinges,
so it's not urgent for me, but I do like the idea of the hidden barrel
hinge, so maybe I'll keep them in mind for the future.
Andy

The width of the gap is easily adjusted with the barrel hinge. There
is a wee set-screw, which expands the base of the barrel which holds
it where you put it. So that adjustment is easy.... and it's all you
get. The rest is careful templating before drilling.
The regular hinges are adjustable by adding thin shims under the
flange. Again, doing it right the first time is the way to do it.
Those European hinges have made life real easy, but look like hell on
a furniture grade cabinet....imho

Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Changing subject.

"Robatoy" wrote in message
oups.com...

I ordered the Grex P635 pinner today. Double the price of the
Craftsman/Nikle model but handles pins from 3/8" to 1-3/8". I bought a
starter kit version that included 9,000 pins in 9 different sizes. Shipped
for just under $220.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 11, 9:01 pm, "Leon" wrote:
"Robatoy" wrote in message

oups.com...

I ordered the Grex P635 pinner today. Double the price of the
Craftsman/Nikle model but handles pins from 3/8" to 1-3/8". I bought a
starter kit version that included 9,000 pins in 9 different sizes. Shipped
for just under $220.

Yup, that would be the one. Guess the Domino waits, huh? G
(Whats $220 in the scheme of things, eh?)

Posted to rec.woodworking

Robatoy wrote:
On Apr 11, 9:13 am, wrote:
hi all my question is is there any hinge which satisfy the following,
1.180 degrees of rotation
2.door and cabinent front surface flushed
3.the hinge must be hidden
Soss makes hinges just for this application.
The barrel version is easiest to install, but not for the squeemish.
http://www.soss.com/

I need to get me one of them 25/84 drill bits. ;-)http://www.soss.com/product/features/

. I keep one in my drill collection kit. My index goes from 1/84" to
1" in 84ths.
Doesn't everyone's?

(psssst..don't tell anybody, Bill, but a 10 mm might work...in a
pinch...lol)

Yahhhh, just having some fun with the typo. Being something of a machine
-head, my eyeballs left skid marks when I saw that.

Me? I gots wire sizes, letter sizes, fractionals and mmmmmmmmmm's in a
variety of tip styles and OAL's. If I need a new tip style, I can
probably grind it by hand.

Just can't find any of those 84ths drills. Do you think it could be one
of those Chiwanese spec bits ... the ones made from 'high alloy steel'?

Bill

--
http://nmwoodworks.com/cube

---
Virus Database (VPS): 000733-0, 04/11/2007
Tested on: 4/12/2007 1:30:58 AM

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 11, 11:59 pm, "Charley" wrote:
A Youngdale hinge won't open to 180 degrees. They are about 115 degrees max.

--
Charley

"GROVER" wrote in message

oups.com...

On Apr 11, 9:13 am, wrote:
hi all my question is is there any hinge which satisfy the following,
1.180 degrees of rotation
2.door and cabinent front surface flushed
3.the hinge must be hidden

I suggest a hinge no one has yet mentioned. It may require a slight
modification , to your door design but the hinge is excellent and
relatively inexpensive. It was used by professional cabinet makers
before the euro hinge was intoduced here. You can Google Youngdale
Hinges and see some data on them.
Joe G- Hide quoted text -

I did say in my post that you would need to alter your door design. If
not possible then Youngdale is not in the running.
Joe G