Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Stupid question: Clear Stain or how to heighten contrast

Matt In Fenton wrote in message

Ok, I have to give detail as to what I mean here. I bought some birch
plywood and some birch beadboard. The beadboard was prefinished with a
clear semi-gloss to gloss. I tried matching the color yesterday first
by using a clear on the plywood. The contrast of the grain doesn't
stand out as much. Then I tried Minwax natural stain on the plywood,
which kicks up the contrast between light and dark grain but turns it
more towards yellow.

I understand I won't get exactly the same tone, but I'm hoping for
something a little closer. I almost want to "stain" with straight
water, but you know that wouldn't work.

Is there anything that will kick up the contrast before I apply a
clear without changing the color of the wood?

2 different origins for Birch can be hard to match. If you are using an oil
based varnish try wiping a small area with thinner to see how it will look
with a clear oil based varnish.
Birch like Maple is tough to stain and especially to match wood form another
origin. You might want to simply go a noticeably darker stain rather than
try to match and be obviously off.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Ok, I have to give detail as to what I mean here. I bought some birch
plywood and some birch beadboard. The beadboard was prefinished with a
clear semi-gloss to gloss. I tried matching the color yesterday first
by using a clear on the plywood. The contrast of the grain doesn't
stand out as much. Then I tried Minwax natural stain on the plywood,
which kicks up the contrast between light and dark grain but turns it
more towards yellow.

I understand I won't get exactly the same tone, but I'm hoping for
something a little closer. I almost want to "stain" with straight
water, but you know that wouldn't work.

Is there anything that will kick up the contrast before I apply a
clear without changing the color of the wood?

What are you using for clear? They run from slightly bluish to pretty
heavy yellowing depending on the product. and some show the grain better
than others. If its Minwax Polycrylic that's one of the blandest.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Posted to rec.woodworking

The right way to do it is to go through the stack of plywood and take pieces
that matches your beadboard.

Assuming that is no longer an option, the only thing I know to try is to
stain the ply darkly and then sand it off. If you are careful, and lucky,
you might sand off 95% of the stain, but leave enough in to delineate the
grain. Maybe a dark pore filler would be a better bet, but I hate using
that stuff.

Matt In Fenton wrote in message

Ok, I have to give detail as to what I mean here. I bought some birch
plywood and some birch beadboard. The beadboard was prefinished with a
clear semi-gloss to gloss. I tried matching the color yesterday first
by using a clear on the plywood. The contrast of the grain doesn't
stand out as much. Then I tried Minwax natural stain on the plywood,
which kicks up the contrast between light and dark grain but turns it
more towards yellow.

I understand I won't get exactly the same tone, but I'm hoping for
something a little closer. I almost want to "stain" with straight
water, but you know that wouldn't work.

Is there anything that will kick up the contrast before I apply a
clear without changing the color of the wood?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Minwax Polycrylic is exactly it. For time saving purposes I bought the
spray can version.

I'm going to head over to sherwinn williams and see if they have any
recommendations.