Posted to rec.woodworking

Default bullnose rabbet plane

I recently picked up an ebay stanley bullnose rabbet plane.
Item number: 230105333324
it came today. first impression: Man is this thing crude. the fitting
surfaces between the 2 halves of the body are rough castings,
unmachined, painted black. now, the fit between those 2 parts
determines whether or not the bit of the sole in front of the blade is
in plane with the main part of the sole behind the blade. so as it is,
I can't lap the sole without first milling the ways... and my mill is
in storage and won't be out for months. Aaaargggh.

contrast that with the Veritas medium shoulder plane I just got, which
is very precisely machined out of the box....

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 29, 8:22 pm, wrote:
I recently picked up an ebay stanley bullnose rabbet plane.
Item number: 230105333324
it came today. first impression: Man is this thing crude. the fitting
surfaces between the 2 halves of the body are rough castings,
unmachined, painted black. now, the fit between those 2 parts
determines whether or not the bit of the sole in front of the blade is
in plane with the main part of the sole behind the blade. so as it is,
I can't lap the sole without first milling the ways... and my mill is
in storage and won't be out for months. Aaaargggh.

contrast that with the Veritas medium shoulder plane I just got, which
is very precisely machined out of the box....

Their bullnose plane is top notch as well. I especially like the
depth stop for the removeable nose. It makes it a snap to put it back
in place with a nice tight mouth without hitting the blade. It's
really an excellent feeling - and working - tool for me.
JP

Posted to rec.woodworking

anybody have a good web resource for fettling one of these things?

Posted to rec.woodworking

here it is on blood and go
http://www.supertool.com/StanleyBG/stan10.htm
about halfway down. #75 Bull nose rabbet plane.

prolly I'll do minimal fettle and see how it runs before committing to
milling the ways. this thing won't really benefit too much from being
dialed in too tight.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 30, 12:22 am, wrote:
I recently picked up an ebay stanley bullnose rabbet plane.
Item number: 230105333324

It is more useful to tell us the Stanley number than the Ebay number.

The Stanley #75 is, and almost always was, a low-cost, lower
quality alternative to other bullnose planes like the Stanley 90-94.

http://www.supertool.com/StanleyBG/stan0a.html

--

FF

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 30, 4:53 pm, wrote:
On Mar 30, 12:22 am, wrote:

I recently picked up an ebay stanley bullnose rabbet plane.
Item number: 230105333324

It is more useful to tell us the Stanley number than the Ebay number.

at the time of my first post I didn't have the stanley number. I was
hoping someone would look at the ebay auction and ID the 'lil *******.
as it turned out, I was able to spot it on Pat's site.

The Stanley #75 is, and almost always was, a low-cost, lower
quality alternative to other bullnose planes like the Stanley 90-94.

as Andy said, "That's not a plane, it's a paint scraper with a depth
stop. "

Posted to rec.woodworking

=======
In article . com,
wrote:
I recently picked up an ebay stanley bullnose rabbet plane.
Item number: 230105333324
it came today. first impression: Man is this thing crude. the fitting
surfaces between the 2 halves of the body are rough castings,
unmachined, painted black. now, the fit between those 2 parts
determines whether or not the bit of the sole in front of the blade is
in plane with the main part of the sole behind the blade. so as it is,
I can't lap the sole without first milling the ways... and my mill is
in storage and won't be out for months. Aaaargggh.

contrast that with the Veritas medium shoulder plane I just got, which
is very precisely machined out of the box....

The plane you got from ebay is a Stanley #75, which was the cheapest,
most simple toss-it-in-the-tool-box rabbet plane of it's day. Common
uses would have been cleaning up rabbets in window frames, or rabbet
work in carpentry.

It was intentionally designed with the front sole was a hair above the
rear portion. BTW they are still in production by Stanley in the UK
and retail for around $35.00 For a fair comparison with your Veritas
look at a Stanley 90, 92, or 93.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Larry W wrote:

BTW they are still in production by Stanley in the UK and retail for
around $35.00

They're currently available from Amazon for $20.34:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...504233-0127305

remove ".invalid".
Posted to rec.woodworking

-------------

In article ,
Michael Faurot wrote:
Larry W wrote:

BTW they are still in production by Stanley in the UK and retail for
around $35.00

They're currently available from Amazon for $20.34:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...504233-0127305

remove ".invalid".

That's a really good price. If I didn't already have 2 old ones, I'd
definitely buy one now!

--
Often wrong, never in doubt.