Posted to rec.woodworking
[email protected] bridgerfafc@yahoo.com is offline

Default bullnose rabbet plane

I recently picked up an ebay stanley bullnose rabbet plane.
Item number: 230105333324
it came today. first impression: Man is this thing crude. the fitting
surfaces between the 2 halves of the body are rough castings,
unmachined, painted black. now, the fit between those 2 parts
determines whether or not the bit of the sole in front of the blade is
in plane with the main part of the sole behind the blade. so as it is,
I can't lap the sole without first milling the ways... and my mill is
in storage and won't be out for months. Aaaargggh.

contrast that with the Veritas medium shoulder plane I just got, which
is very precisely machined out of the box....