Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Attaching Top--Formula?

Hiya,
I'm wondering if there's any sort of "standard" for how many screws to use
to attach tops? I've got a top that is 24Wx58Lx3/4 thick that's going on
top of a dresser carcass. I plan to screw the front edge of the top and
use slotted holes along the sides/back to allow for movement. I'm curious
to know how many screws I should be using on the front edge? The top is
cherry. I have the option of screwing through the carcass at the front
through either cherry or hard maple. If I were to screw through the hard
maple, it would mean the front of the top's edge would be about 6" away from
the screws (versus around 3" for the Cherry)....is this a problem? Sorry to
make this simple affair complex.
Cheers,
cc

Posted to rec.woodworking

James "Cubby" Culbertson wrote:

I'm wondering if there's any sort of "standard" for how many screws

to use
to attach tops? I've got a top that is 24Wx58Lx3/4 thick that's

going on
top of a dresser carcass.

snip

SFWIW, just finishing a chest that has a 20x44 top.

Used 8, #10, coarse thread, S/S, pan head, sheet metal screws along
with #10, S/S, flat washers to secure top. Carcass had 1/4" clearance
holes.

No good reason, just looked about right.

YMMV

have fun.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

"James "Cubby" Culbertson" wrote in message
. ..
Hiya,
I'm wondering if there's any sort of "standard" for how many screws to use
to attach tops? I've got a top that is 24Wx58Lx3/4 thick that's going on
top of a dresser carcass. I plan to screw the front edge of the top and
use slotted holes along the sides/back to allow for movement. I'm
curious to know how many screws I should be using on the front edge? The
top is cherry. I have the option of screwing through the carcass at the
front through either cherry or hard maple. If I were to screw through
the hard maple, it would mean the front of the top's edge would be about
6" away from the screws (versus around 3" for the Cherry)....is this a
problem? Sorry to make this simple affair complex.
Cheers,
cc

I like a couple of screws near each corner, or any where the piece is likely
to be lifted by the top over hang.

Posted to rec.woodworking

[...]

Thanks guys. All my finishing is done so I'll be attaching it tomorrow.
Appreciate the inputs.
cc