Posted to rec.woodworking
Roy Smith

Default Attaching extension to cast iron table saw top?

I've got a Unisaw that I want to attach an extension table to the rear of.
There's two holes (approx 3/8" diameter) already drilled in the rear flange
of the cast iron top (it came from the factory that way), but they're not
tapped; just through-drilled. They're a little too small for clearance of
a 3/8" bolt; it would be nice if they were whatever the tap drill diameter
for a 3/8 UNC is supposed to be, but I haven't measured them exactly, so
I'm not sure.

I suspect the easiest way to attach something would be to tap those two
holes and bolt on a piece aluminum angle, to which my plywood table would
get attached. How difficult will it be to tap these holes? I've tapped
holes before, but never in cast iron. Does it go easy? Is there any risk
that I'll damage the top? What if I end up having to drill some additional
holes in the flange?
Posted to rec.woodworking
Rick S. Carusi

"Roy Smith" wrote in message
I've got a Unisaw that I want to attach an extension table to the rear of.
There's two holes (approx 3/8" diameter) already drilled in the rear
flange
of the cast iron top (it came from the factory that way), but they're not
tapped; just through-drilled. They're a little too small for clearance of
a 3/8" bolt; it would be nice if they were whatever the tap drill diameter
for a 3/8 UNC is supposed to be, but I haven't measured them exactly, so
I'm not sure.

My guess you have the required tap. 3/8-16 tap drill is 5/16. If not, why
not use a bolt & nut that will pass? May need to go metric for a better fit

I suspect the easiest way to attach something would be to tap those two
holes and bolt on a piece aluminum angle, to which my plywood table would
get attached. How difficult will it be to tap these holes? I've tapped
holes before, but never in cast iron. Does it go easy? Is there any risk
that I'll damage the top? What if I end up having to drill some
additional
holes in the flange?

Posted to rec.woodworking
Roy Smith

In article ,
"Rick S. Carusi" wrote:

My guess you have the required tap. 3/8-16 tap drill is 5/16. If not, why
not use a bolt & nut that will pass?

Because it's danged near impossible to get to the back side of the flange
to hold a nut in place. The sheet metal cabinet is in the way. I tried
reaching in from the throat opening, but I'm not enough of a contortionist
to get my arm where it needs to go.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Chuck Taylor

On Sun, 23 Apr 2006 17:24:21 -0400, Roy Smith wrote:

I've got a Unisaw that I want to attach an extension table to the rear of.
There's two holes (approx 3/8" diameter) already drilled in the rear flange
of the cast iron top (it came from the factory that way), but they're not
tapped; just through-drilled. They're a little too small for clearance of
a 3/8" bolt; it would be nice if they were whatever the tap drill diameter
for a 3/8 UNC is supposed to be, but I haven't measured them exactly, so
I'm not sure.

Mine (a 1987 model) is tapped to accept an M10-1.0 bolt, which is what
was used to attach a Jet-Lock fence rail.

--
Chuck Taylor
http://home.hiwaay.net/~taylorc/contact/
Posted to rec.woodworking
bent

in order:
5/16-18 NC is F (.2570"/6.528mm)
8-1.25mm is H (.2660/6.756mm)
5/16-24 NF is I (.2720"/6.909mm)
8-1.00mm is J (.2770"/7.036mm)
5/16-32 NEF is 9/32" drill hole size
9-1.25mm is 5/16"
3/8-16 NC is 5/16"
9-1.00mm is O (.3160"/8.026mm)
9-0.75mm is 21/64"
3/8-24 NF is Q (.3320"/8.433mm)
10-1.50mm is R (.3390"/8.611mm)
10-1.25mm is S (.3480"/8.839mm)
10-1.00mm is 23/64"

from kbctools.com catalogue, not double checked/verified. Letter equiv's
from Machinery's Handbook. If you want to know if, consult it. If you need
to know how to make the tool to make the tool, consult it.

If you screw up you can use a heli-coil, etc.

Posted to rec.woodworking

I suspect the easiest way to attach something would be to tap those two
holes and bolt on a piece aluminum angle, to which my plywood table would
get attached. How difficult will it be to tap these holes? I've tapped
holes before, but never in cast iron. Does it go easy? Is there any risk
that I'll damage the top? What if I end up having to drill some additional
holes in the flange?

Cast iron is one of the easier metals to both drill and tap.
Posted to rec.woodworking
WoodWizzard

On Sun, 23 Apr 2006 15:24:21 -0600, Roy Smith wrote:

[...]

Cast iron taps fairly easy, but it clogs the tap, so back it out to clear
the chips, then tap anouther 1/4 - 1/2 turn or so.
DAGS comes up with this site for drill sizes:
http://www.newmantools.com/tapdrill.htm

Posted to rec.woodworking
Pat Barber

Those are designed "exactly" for that purpose. Those holes
match the Biesemeyer back rail, which an outfeed table can
be attached.

The Biesmeyer rail is attached with thru bolts and nuts.

Go here for detailed instructions on how to build the
outfeed and bolt sizes....

http://www.biesemeyer.com/print/comm...e%20Manual.pdf

No drilling required......

Roy Smith wrote:

I've got a Unisaw that I want to attach an extension table to the rear of.
There's two holes (approx 3/8" diameter) already drilled in the rear flange
of the cast iron top (it came from the factory that way), but they're not
tapped; just through-drilled. They're a little too small for clearance of
a 3/8" bolt; it would be nice if they were whatever the tap drill diameter
for a 3/8 UNC is supposed to be, but I haven't measured them exactly, so
I'm not sure.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Frank Boettcher

[...]

I don't know where you get your Unisaws, but where I get mine those
holes are tapped.

Frank
Posted to rec.woodworking
Chris Friesen

Roy Smith wrote:
I've got a Unisaw that I want to attach an extension table to the rear of.
There's two holes (approx 3/8" diameter) already drilled in the rear flange
of the cast iron top (it came from the factory that way), but they're not
tapped; just through-drilled. They're a little too small for clearance of
a 3/8" bolt;

Why not just use a 1/4" or 5/16" bolt with a nut on the back side?

Chris
Posted to rec.woodworking
Teamcasa

"Roy Smith" wrote in message
[...]

Maybe I'm not understanding this question very well. You want to attach an
extension to the BACK of your Unisaw? For use as an outfeed? If you do,
the miter slots will be useless, unless you have a way to cut them through.
Either way, drilling and tapping holes in cast iron is easy and explained in
other replies.

Dave

Posted to rec.woodworking
Roy Smith

"Teamcasa" wrote:
Maybe I'm not understanding this question very well. You want to attach an
extension to the BACK of your Unisaw? For use as an outfeed?

Yes, exactly.

If you do,
the miter slots will be useless, unless you have a way to cut them through.

I figure I'd just cut two dados in the top to line up with the slots.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Teamcasa

"Roy Smith" wrote in message
"Teamcasa" wrote:
Maybe I'm not understanding this question very well. You want to attach
an
extension to the BACK of your Unisaw? For use as an outfeed?

Yes, exactly.

If you do,
the miter slots will be useless, unless you have a way to cut them
through.

I figure I'd just cut two dados in the top to line up with the slots.

I'm sorry! I pictured you asking about adding a cast iron extension to the
back of your saw! I re-read the original post again and realized you did
not say what I thought it did.

Dave

http://www.usenet.com