Posted to rec.woodworking
John

Default Question about attaching table top to legs

Hi,
I am making a coffee table and was wondering if I can use dowels at
each corner leg and maybe 2 along the apron on each side to attach the
top to the bottom? The legs at the top are about 1" sq and the apron
is 3/4x3/4" sq. The top consist of 5 popular boards biscuit joined
together. I use all popular wood for the project. Or, would it be
better to use figure 8's to attach it and how many would I have to
use?
Many Thanks,
John
Posted to rec.woodworking
Josh

That would be a big NO on the dowels. After the first time a tabletop
you've made splits down the middle when it wants to shrink more than
the apron will allow, you'll never underestimate wood movement again.
Don't ask me how I know that.

Searching the archives of this newsgroup (as recently as just this past
week) will reveal prior discussions on this topic along with lots of
ways to do it.

Josh

John wrote:
Hi,
I am making a coffee table and was wondering if I can use dowels at
each corner leg and maybe 2 along the apron on each side to attach the
top to the bottom? The legs at the top are about 1" sq and the apron
is 3/4x3/4" sq. The top consist of 5 popular boards biscuit joined
together. I use all popular wood for the project. Or, would it be
better to use figure 8's to attach it and how many would I have to
use?
Many Thanks,
John

Initial review of the Delta Left Tilt Unisaw w 50" Beismeyer - refurb - (LONG) Greg G. Woodworking 40 November 5th 05 11:03 PM
Unisaw/Biesemeyer 50" Extension Table Question Electric Stu Woodworking 6 March 14th 05 07:07 PM
table saw aux table question Bob S. Woodworking 0 September 9th 03 07:11 PM
Iron Coffee Table Legs E Woodworking 1 August 30th 03 07:14 PM
Ideas for kitchen table legs? UTRECHT Woodworking 5 August 27th 03 01:48 AM