Posted to rec.woodworking
James \Cubby\ Culbertson James \Cubby\ Culbertson is offline

Default Attaching Top--Formula?

"James "Cubby" Culbertson" wrote in message
. ..
Hiya,
I'm wondering if there's any sort of "standard" for how many screws to use
to attach tops? I've got a top that is 24Wx58Lx3/4 thick that's going on
top of a dresser carcass. I plan to screw the front edge of the top and
use slotted holes along the sides/back to allow for movement. I'm
curious to know how many screws I should be using on the front edge? The
top is cherry. I have the option of screwing through the carcass at the
front through either cherry or hard maple. If I were to screw through
the hard maple, it would mean the front of the top's edge would be about
6" away from the screws (versus around 3" for the Cherry)....is this a
problem? Sorry to make this simple affair complex.
Cheers,
cc

Thanks guys. All my finishing is done so I'll be attaching it tomorrow.
Appreciate the inputs.
cc