Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Tree / wood tragedy in Maryland

Hey All,
Here is alink to the latest news tidbit on a tree tragedy in
Maryland. It a real shame that so many trees are getting cut down and
it adds insult to injury that the wood from them is rendered useless.
(I'll paste the text below if the link does not work)
Marc

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/loc...ocal-headlines

In an escalating war against a voracious Chinese beetle, the Maryland
Department of Agriculture is cutting down 17,000 ash trees in a 21-
square-mile swath of suburban Prince George's County.

The aggressive tactics are intended to halt the advance of the emerald
ash borer - a metallic-green insect the size of a breath mint that has
killed more than 20 million trees in the Midwest.

The beetles hitched a ride on saplings shipped from Michigan to a
nursery in the Clinton area of Prince George's four years ago. It was
the first place the pest has surfaced in the East, and Maryland
officials are trying to deprive the bugs of food so they won't spread
to destroy all the ash trees in the region, said Dick Bean,
coordinator of Maryland's efforts.

"If we can contain it here, we can save the entire East Coast," Bean
said. "There will be tens of millions of dead trees if we don't stop
the ash borer."

State workers felled 1,100 ash trees within a half-mile circle of the
nursery in 2004. They discovered last August that wasn't enough when
the flying beetle was spotted in three trees outside the circle, Bean
said.

More intensive testing found hundreds of infected trees in a wider
area of southern Prince George's County. So this month, teams with
chain saws are mowing down trees in the 21-square-mile area, including
a wider 1.5-mile circle around each infected tree. The state has also
imposed a quarantine, banning shipment of logs or firewood out of the
county.

Cutting down healthy ash trees on people's front lawns sometimes
provokes anger and shouting.

"It really hurts doing this because we are taking down some beautiful,
beautiful trees," Bean said as his workers chain-sawed and then
chipped a 20-foot ash in front of a brick ranch house in Clinton. "But
it's like fighting cancer - sometimes we have to cut out some good to
save the rest."

Many residents are supportive of the efforts, saying they understand
the need to starve the beetles of fuel. "I'm glad they're doing it,"
said Mark McCloud, owner of the home, which now has a stump in front.
"I really don't want any infested trees."

Ash trees are among the most treasured shade trees in America, and for
decades they have been chosen to ornament front lawns in suburbia. The
tree is also regarded as a valuable hardwood, its iron-like durability
prized for baseball bats, flooring and furniture.

But now, some arborists worry that the invasive species of Asian
beetle could wipe them all out, just as Dutch elm disease decimated
the American elm last century, despite aggressive efforts by the
government to use pesticides to halt the progress of the fungus, which
came from Europe and was carried by a different insect, the elm bark
beetle.

The strategy Maryland is using to fight the ash borer - at a cost of
$4 million to $6 million - has failed to halt the march of the beetle
across Michigan and Ohio. And a few people have grown irritated at all
of the tree cutting in Prince George's.

One family in Clinton hammered a warning poster onto their tree in an
unsuccessful attempt to ward off the chain saws. "DO NOT DESTROY OUR
TREE," read the sign, which Bean kept for his office wall. "ATTORNEY
HAS BEEN CONTACTED."

The tree came down, anyway. And like thousands of others over the last
month, it was ground into mulch, then pulverized again, to squash the
beetle's white larvae, which burrow under bark.

Heavenly Warrick, a nurse in Clinton, stood on the porch of her white
Cape Cod and looked at the neon orange stripe that state workers had
spray-painted around a handsome, double-trunked, 50-foot ash that
shades her front yard.

The bright mark can be seen girdling trees up and down the streets of
her town. "Why can't they take down one branch and check that for the
beetle?" Warrick asked. "Why do they have to take down the whole
tree?"

The difficulty, Bean explained, is that arborists can't really tell
whether a tree is infested with the beetle's larvae until after
they've cut it down and stripped off the bark to reveal twisting, maze-
like burrows. There are some telltale signs, however - such as D-
shaped holes in the bark of the trees, cracks in the bark, and lots of
woodpeckers attracted by the white larvae.

The emerald ash borer was discovered in America in June 2002, in the
Detroit suburb of Canton, said Angela Riess, a planner for the
Michigan Department of Agriculture. The beetle likely came from China
on a shipping crate.

Trees in Asia, such as the Manchurian ash, have evolved to survive
with borers nibbling under their bark. But the varieties of ash native
to America, such as the white ash, die within about three years of
infestation. This is because they can't survive the reduction in their
sap flow when the larvae eat tunnels through the thin layer of cambium
under the bark, which is the trees' circulatory system.

Michigan acted quickly to outlaw the moving of ash logs or firewood
from the infested area. Arborists in Michigan cut down more than
226,000 ash trees in half-mile circles around each infested tree. But
the beetle continued to pop up in new places, Riess said.

That was when researchers concluded that the beetle had probably been
introduced a decade earlier than previously thought. The larvae are
now infesting ash trees across Michigan, Ohio, Indiana and Illinois.

The beetle moved to Maryland in 2003 when a Michigan nursery owner,
Stuart Leve, shipped 123 infested ash trees to a garden company on
Route 5 in Clinton, Michigan and Maryland officials said. Leve was
fined $12,300 in April 2003 and received two years' probation for
selling trees despite the quarantine in his area, Riess said.

Maryland officials found the beetles during a regular annual
inspection. And they immediately began cutting down all the trees
within a half-mile of the nursery. But it wasn't enough - so this
spring they expanded their eradication zone.

Ohio has spent more than $26 million cutting down about 300,000 ash
trees, following a strategy similar to the one employed by Maryland,
said Melissa Brewer, a spokeswoman for the Ohio Department of
Agriculture.

But all that effort didn't halt the beetle, which has since spread to
26 of the 88 counties in Ohio, Brewer said. Last May, Ohio stopped
cutting down ash trees. The state ran out of money.

"We just don't have the tools we need to stop it," Brewer said. "We
are looking for a silver bullet."
Emerald ash borer beetle

Agrilus planipennis Fairmaire

The emerald ash borer attacks only ash trees.

Adult beetles are metallic green and about 1/2-inch long.

Adults leave a D-shaped exit hole in the bark when they emerge in
spring.

Woodpeckers like the borer's larvae; heavy woodpecker damage on ash
trees may be a sign of infestation.

It is illegal to move firewood out of Prince George's County, or out
of quarantined areas of Michigan, Ohio, Indiana and Illinois.

The pest probably came from China to Michigan sometime before 2002 in
wood-packing material.

Posted to rec.woodworking

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/loc...4mar24,0,69100...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------*-----
Emerald ash borer beetle

Agrilus planipennis Fairmaire

The emerald ash borer attacks only ash trees.

Adult beetles are metallic green and about 1/2-inch long.

Adults leave a D-shaped exit hole in the bark when they emerge in
spring.

Woodpeckers like the borer's larvae; heavy woodpecker damage on ash
trees may be a sign of infestation.

It is illegal to move firewood out of Prince George's County, or out
of quarantined areas of Michigan, Ohio, Indiana and Illinois.

The pest probably came from China to Michigan sometime before 2002 in
wood-packing material.

It seems we can thank the Chinese for the Emerald Ash Borer as well as
stocking the shelves at Walmart.
Joe G

Posted to rec.woodworking

marc rosen wrote:
Hey All,
Here is alink to the latest news tidbit on a tree tragedy in
Maryland. It a real shame that so many trees are getting cut down and
it adds insult to injury that the wood from them is rendered useless.
(I'll paste the text below if the link does not work)
Marc

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/loc...ocal-headlines

In an escalating war against a voracious Chinese beetle, the Maryland
Department of Agriculture is cutting down 17,000 ash trees in a 21-
square-mile swath of suburban Prince George's County.

Similar situation in the NY area, though it's not widely known and
doesn't sound quite as severe. I picked up a card, along with some
information, at a woodworking show last year. The card shows a
picture of the Asian Longhorned Beetle (guess that's the politically
correct cousin of the Chinese beetle) and has a hole indicating how
big the hole the little critter chews into the tree. I was quite
surprised to find out that there are all sorts of regulations that
make taking freshly cut wood from one area to another around here
illegal due to these beetles.

Kiln drying the wood would kill off the bugs and provide some valuable
wood, but they seem intent on destroying the wood mechanically.
Particularly a shame for the Chinese beetle as it only attacks the
cambium layer.

Florida bookcase tragedy Tim W Woodworking 58 December 3rd 06 12:36 PM
OT- The Great Boston Molasses Tragedy Gunner Metalworking 4 October 10th 05 11:10 PM
palm tree wood?? Wizard Woodturning 6 August 12th 04 11:25 AM
Can I use a tree branch for wood? Bob Flint Woodworking 33 February 15th 04 12:03 AM