Wizard

Default palm tree wood??

I have access to some palm tree wood. Has anyone turned this type wood?? Is
it any good for turning?? Any info is appreciated.
Dennis

Leo Lichtman

"Wizard" wrote: (clip) Is it any good for turning?? (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Probably not, but I would try a piece. Friends of mine have turned palm,
and I am told that there are several that are no good, and one that is.

AHilton

Hmmmm Not sure about what you have but I've turned "Red Palm" and "Black
Palm" before. Really interesting stuff! I have no idea if it's actually
palm or where it's from. It may be something from Australia or something?
Give it a whirl, be safe, but have at it and see what happens.

- Andrew

"Wizard" wrote in message
I have access to some palm tree wood. Has anyone turned this type wood??

Is
it any good for turning?? Any info is appreciated.
Dennis

George

As I understand, it's not like wood. The carvings I've seen look more like
reeds in a matrix of dark stuff.
http://waynesword.palomar.edu/trjune99.htm

On the other hand, people turn it.

http://www.woodturnerpro.com/artists/img/Bowl0486b.jpg
http://www.gourmetsleuth.com/pDetail.asp?p=325

"Wizard" wrote in message
I have access to some palm tree wood. Has anyone turned this type wood??

Is
it any good for turning?? Any info is appreciated.
Dennis

Woodcrafter

"George" george@least wrote in message
As I understand, it's not like wood. The carvings I've seen look more

like
reeds in a matrix of dark stuff.
http://waynesword.palomar.edu/trjune99.htm

Yes that is very true. I have turned some black palm blanks for pens before.
It produces a very interesting grain pattern as George describes above.
I found it has a tendency to easily tear the grain, so very sharp tools are
an absolute must when working with this type of material.

--
Regards,

Dean Bielanowski
Editor,
Online Tool Reviews
http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com
Over 50 woodworking product reviews online!
Latest 6 Reviews:
- Kreg Universal Bench Klamp
- GRR-Ripper System & MJ Splitter
- Spaceage Ceramic Bandsaw Guides
- Infinity "Dadonator" Stacked Dado Set
- GMC LS950SPJ Scrolling Jigsaw
- Triton Powered Respirator

Rick Frazier

Living in Hawaii, it's not hard to get around here. There are quite a number
of species, and each tends to have it's own character. Most of it looks like a
bunch of thin wooden straws tied together with something that approaches the
texture of soft pith. If you're going to turn it, you need to do so while it's
wet, because it gets pretty soft in the center as it dries. Turn about 50%
over finish thickness, then let it dry and finish turn it. It WILL warp as it
dries, and you need to use sharp tools, but I think it is worth the effort.

It is a soft pithy like wood, with harder sections where the pores are...
Sanding can be "interesting" due to the differences in density, and if you
gouge or tear it, you will be sanding awhile to get it out...

Good Luck!
--Rick

Wizard wrote:

I have access to some palm tree wood. Has anyone turned this type wood?? Is
it any good for turning?? Any info is appreciated.
Dennis

I saw a very interesting platter on line made from a slice with the tops of
the roots still around the edge. Very nice.