Posted to rec.woodworking
RicodJour RicodJour is offline

Default Tree / wood tragedy in Maryland

marc rosen wrote:
Hey All,
Here is alink to the latest news tidbit on a tree tragedy in
Maryland. It a real shame that so many trees are getting cut down and
it adds insult to injury that the wood from them is rendered useless.
(I'll paste the text below if the link does not work)
Marc

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/loc...ocal-headlines

In an escalating war against a voracious Chinese beetle, the Maryland
Department of Agriculture is cutting down 17,000 ash trees in a 21-
square-mile swath of suburban Prince George's County.

Similar situation in the NY area, though it's not widely known and
doesn't sound quite as severe. I picked up a card, along with some
information, at a woodworking show last year. The card shows a
picture of the Asian Longhorned Beetle (guess that's the politically
correct cousin of the Chinese beetle) and has a hole indicating how
big the hole the little critter chews into the tree. I was quite
surprised to find out that there are all sorts of regulations that
make taking freshly cut wood from one area to another around here
illegal due to these beetles.

Kiln drying the wood would kill off the bugs and provide some valuable
wood, but they seem intent on destroying the wood mechanically.
Particularly a shame for the Chinese beetle as it only attacks the
cambium layer.