Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Grizzly or Ryobi Planer Recommendations?

I've been looking at planers and at the low end of the price range I found
the Grizzly G0505 and the Ryobi AP1301. Does anyone have experience with
either of these planers, and if so, how do you like them? Any problem with
availability of replacement knives or other parts?

Thanks...

Chuck

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article SRRJh.998$Eg4.248@trnddc03,
"woodman" wrote:

I've been looking at planers and at the low end of the price range I found
the Grizzly G0505 and the Ryobi AP1301. Does anyone have experience with
either of these planers, and if so, how do you like them? Any problem with
availability of replacement knives or other parts?

Never used either, I did have the Ryobi AP10, which is way I -NOW-
have a Delwalt 12 inch. Too much snip

Personal e-mail is the n7bsn but at amsat.org
RV and Camping FAQ can be found at
http://www.ralphandellen.us/rv
Posted to rec.woodworking

"woodman" wrote in message
I've been looking at planers and at the low end of the price range I found
the Grizzly G0505 and the Ryobi AP1301. Does anyone have experience with
either of these planers, and if so, how do you like them? Any problem
with availability of replacement knives or other parts?

Thanks...

Chuck

Have you considered the Ridgid planer? There's a few of us here that have
one and we all seem to be generally happy with it if I can speak for the
others.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Actually, yes. I was just looking a a review of planers and the Ridgid was
pretty highly rated and includes all of the extras that the others don't
(extra set of knives, dust port, and stand). It looks like a pretty good
value for $379.

"efgh" wrote in message

"woodman" wrote in message
I've been looking at planers and at the low end of the price range I
found the Grizzly G0505 and the Ryobi AP1301. Does anyone have
experience with either of these planers, and if so, how do you like them?
Any problem with availability of replacement knives or other parts?

Thanks...

Chuck

Have you considered the Ridgid planer? There's a few of us here that have
one and we all seem to be generally happy with it if I can speak for the
others.

Posted to rec.woodworking

I just got a Rigid. Nice machine. If I remember to lock the cutterhead
(a lot of low-end planers don' t have that feature) there's no snipe.

Jack

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
oups.com...
I just got a Rigid. Nice machine. If I remember to lock the cutterhead
(a lot of low-end planers don' t have that feature) there's no snipe.

Jack

Ditto on the Ridgid. I've got one that's several years old and it
continues to work well. As for Grizzly, well I own a bandsaw, jointer,
and table saw from them. Generally happy with all of them. I haven't
seen their planers so can't comment. I don't think I've ever even looked
into a Ryobi tool.
Cheers,
cc

Posted to rec.woodworking

From my viewpoint I would't touch another Ryobi tool. Having said that I do
own one of the older 12-1/4 Ryobi planers that has been in my shop for 10 to
12 years. I love it.

However, Ryobi has a bad habit of leaving its customers high and dry with
regard to parts and accessories. When I purchased the planer,replacement
knives were about $14. Over a period of 6-8 years they crept up to the low
$20 range, but still quite reasonable by comparison to similar machines.
Then they disappeared. I found a local repair shop and some internet
sources that would be glad to sell them in the $70 to $90 dollar range.
With a 10+ year old machine that made me wonder if I could afford to operate
it. Luckily, one of the folks who hang out here put me onto a set of 12-1/2
inch Delta blades that have an extra alighment hole but works fine.

Some will bad-mouth Grizzly service for various reasons. I suspect many
have no real experience with them. From my experience I have had nothing
but good experience with initial deliveries; and a few repair/replace
experiences. If you call their service line they will probably provide
names and phone numbers of local customers who have made similar purchases
(at least they do with bigger machines). Customers consent to provide this
information and it gives you a chance to talk to an owner or even touch the
machine.

RonB

"woodman" wrote in message
I've been looking at planers and at the low end of the price range I found
the Grizzly G0505 and the Ryobi AP1301. Does anyone have experience with
either of these planers, and if so, how do you like them? Any problem
with availability of replacement knives or other parts?

Thanks...

Chuck

Posted to rec.woodworking

I bought a Ryobi planer once. Lasted 2 (two) boards. (really 1 1/2)

I replaced it with a Ridgid.

Works great, no problems after several projects

On Wed, 14 Mar 2007 12:26:26 GMT, "woodman"
wrote:

I've been looking at planers and at the low end of the price range I found
the Grizzly G0505 and the Ryobi AP1301. Does anyone have experience with
either of these planers, and if so, how do you like them? Any problem with
availability of replacement knives or other parts?

Thanks...

Chuck

Posted to rec.woodworking

Yeah - I didn't go into that in my post. Years ago Ryobi made pretty good
power tools, lawn trimmers, etc. I think their lawn tools may be ok but the
origninal Ryobi tool quality seems in doubt. My older planer is built like
a tank and keeps on going. It gets a fair amount of use too.

RonB

wrote:

I've been looking at planers and at the low end of the price range I found
the Grizzly G0505 and the Ryobi AP1301. Does anyone have experience with
either of these planers, and if so, how do you like them? Any problem
with
availability of replacement knives or other parts?

Thanks...

Chuck

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 14, 8:26 am, "woodman" wrote:
I've been looking at planers and at the low end of the price range I found
the Grizzly G0505 and the Ryobi AP1301. Does anyone have experience with
either of these planers, and if so, how do you like them? Any problem with
availability of replacement knives or other parts?

Thanks...

Chuck

I've got the Ryobi AP1300. I've had it for about 2 years and have had
no problems. Changing blades is easy, it's plenty powerful and I
would buy it again. I'm not a big Ryobi fan otherwise, but read some
good reviews on this planer before buying it. I also know that the
AP10?? the original benchtop planer was a classic that many people
liked, so I took the chance and have not regretted it.
Good Luck!
Doug

Posted to rec.woodworking

woodman wrote:
| I've been looking at planers and at the low end of the price range
| I found the Grizzly G0505 and the Ryobi AP1301. Does anyone have
| experience with either of these planers, and if so, how do you like
| them? Any problem with availability of replacement knives or other
| parts?

Not the G0505, but an earlier 12-1/2" Grizzly lunchbox planer (looks
the same except handle on top instead of rollers). Works well - still
using original knives and haven't needed any replacement parts.

My only complaints are that it's really noisy and that it has no
provision for capturing shavings. I keep a snow shovel and a super
large dust pan parked beside mine. It merits its own trash can.

I haven't tried the Ryobi - but given my experience with two other
Ryobi products (a 10" benchtop circular saw and a benchtop drill
press) I don't think I'd spend /my/ money on one of their planers.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Posted to rec.woodworking

Thanks for all of the responses. I've really been swayed by the responses
and am now planning to buy the Ridgid planer.

Chuck

snip and a Ryobi planer richard Woodworking 3 January 18th 07 07:27 PM
Ryobi Surface PLaner 13" Advice Richard Clements Woodworking 9 December 29th 06 09:43 PM
ryobi hand planer FA gooch Woodworking 4 October 21st 05 04:06 AM
Looking to Upgrade Grizzly 15" Planer. Recommendations?? Mark Rance Woodworking 4 July 13th 05 03:17 AM
Looking to Upgrade Grizzly 15" Planer. Recommendations?? Mark Rance Woodworking 0 July 12th 05 07:07 AM