Posted to rec.woodworking
RonB RonB is offline

Default Grizzly or Ryobi Planer Recommendations?

From my viewpoint I would't touch another Ryobi tool. Having said that I do
own one of the older 12-1/4 Ryobi planers that has been in my shop for 10 to
12 years. I love it.

However, Ryobi has a bad habit of leaving its customers high and dry with
regard to parts and accessories. When I purchased the planer,replacement
knives were about $14. Over a period of 6-8 years they crept up to the low
$20 range, but still quite reasonable by comparison to similar machines.
Then they disappeared. I found a local repair shop and some internet
sources that would be glad to sell them in the $70 to $90 dollar range.
With a 10+ year old machine that made me wonder if I could afford to operate
it. Luckily, one of the folks who hang out here put me onto a set of 12-1/2
inch Delta blades that have an extra alighment hole but works fine.

Some will bad-mouth Grizzly service for various reasons. I suspect many
have no real experience with them. From my experience I have had nothing
but good experience with initial deliveries; and a few repair/replace
experiences. If you call their service line they will probably provide
names and phone numbers of local customers who have made similar purchases
(at least they do with bigger machines). Customers consent to provide this
information and it gives you a chance to talk to an owner or even touch the
machine.

RonB

"woodman" wrote in message
I've been looking at planers and at the low end of the price range I found
the Grizzly G0505 and the Ryobi AP1301. Does anyone have experience with
either of these planers, and if so, how do you like them? Any problem
with availability of replacement knives or other parts?

Thanks...

Chuck