Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Brazilian plywood.

Hi all,
Can any one help by explaning what Brazilian plywood is?
It is sold in B&Q (UK) and looks respectable, but what is its outer surface
made of, and is it hard wearing?
The shop assistants did not know, however, they thought it may come from
Brazil
thanks for reading my post,
Kim

Posted to rec.woodworking

Old Tom wrote:
Hi all,
Can any one help by explaning what Brazilian plywood is?
It is sold in B&Q (UK) and looks respectable, but what is its outer
surface made of, and is it hard wearing?
The shop assistants did not know, however, they thought it may come
from Brazil
thanks for reading my post,
Kim

They make all sorts of ply in Brazil (and elsewhere in SA) so asking
what Brazilian plywood is made of is like asking what US plywood is
made of.

However, one of the most common face woods is called virola. It is
similar in appearance to - and is a replacement for - Phillipine
mahogany. "Phillipine mahogany" is a catch all name for various
Asiatic trees...don't know if "virola" is as well.

The virola ply I've used is decent but tends to produce splinters
along edges. WICKED & BIG splinters. I would not call it "hard
wearing" but there aren't a lot of woods I'd call that. By "hard
wearing" do you mean resistance to abrasion? weather? inherent
density?

Like all plywoods, it is made in various grades but I doubt that most
stores would carry anything better than BB/CC. If that. All I have
seen has had rotary cut face veneer.

--

dadiOH

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...