Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Brazilian Cherry (Jatoba)

I have been working with Jatoba this week and love the look when pure Tung oil
is applied. The wood appears to be cheaper than American Cherry. It is a very
hard and heavy wood compared to American Cherry but wonder if anyone has done a
project using it. I have been using it with Maple and walnut to make a few
cutting boards this week. I'm I missing something? Thanks
Posted to rec.woodworking

Nope...it's hard and heavy and it is very hard on
cutting surfaces, which is one reason it is used for
flooring more than anything else.

Keith wrote:

I have been working with Jatoba this week and love the look when pure Tung oil
is applied. The wood appears to be cheaper than American Cherry. It is a very
hard and heavy wood compared to American Cherry but wonder if anyone has done a
project using it. I have been using it with Maple and walnut to make a few
cutting boards this week. I'm I missing something? Thanks

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Keith" wrote in message
I have been working with Jatoba this week and love the look when pure Tung
oil
is applied. The wood appears to be cheaper than American Cherry. It is a
very
hard and heavy wood compared to American Cherry but wonder if anyone has
done a
project using it. I have been using it with Maple and walnut to make a few
cutting boards this week. I'm I missing something? Thanks

I'm using it now for a built-in bookcase and shelves, plus interior posts to
demarcate an area of the living room that will have a red/tan grasscloth for
wallpaper. I've also used it for the framing around an octagonal interior
window (spare bedroom to hallway). I stained it a rosewood color and it
matches well in both color and grain with my rosewood furniture and overall
Oriental decor. So far I've been very happy with the results -- as you
said, it's heavy and strong, but seems to work well and looks good with an
oil finish. If I can find some thicker pieces I may try turning some, or
perhaps I'll build up a turning block from the pieces I have.

I started with this by buying a lot of unfinished jatoba flooring, for which
my original plan was to build an enclosure around the workings of an outdoor
hot tub. Then we bought a hot tub that already had an attractive exterior
so I was left with bundles of jatoba and have started to use it up in a
variety of smaller projects, including a 12' long bench top for my work
tables.

I'll bet your jatoba / walnut / maple cutting boards look great with the
contrasting colors! Regards --

Posted to rec.woodworking

I've made some projects with it as well. When freshly planed then subjected
to sunlight, it'll turn a beautiful rich, deep red. I drove around for two
weeks with a sample on my dashboard just to see how red it would turn before
I put the finish on the project. After two weeks, the difference was night
and day. The dash sample was awesome! And your right on the money with the
tung oil finish. --dave

"Keith" wrote in message
I have been working with Jatoba this week and love the look when pure Tung
oil
is applied. The wood appears to be cheaper than American Cherry. It is a
very
hard and heavy wood compared to American Cherry but wonder if anyone has
done a
project using it. I have been using it with Maple and walnut to make a few
cutting boards this week. I'm I missing something? Thanks

Posted to rec.woodworking

hello,

Jatoba is a Great looking wood, but it's a pain to work with as it's super
hard and brittle...

cyrille

"Keith" wrote in message
I have been working with Jatoba this week and love the look when pure Tung
oil
is applied. The wood appears to be cheaper than American Cherry. It is a
very
hard and heavy wood compared to American Cherry but wonder if anyone has
done a
project using it. I have been using it with Maple and walnut to make a few
cutting boards this week. I'm I missing something? Thanks

Posted to rec.woodworking

Thanks for the suggestions. I had to buy a belt sander to sand the end grain
cutting boards down so I guess I'm one tool ahead now. I really love the look
but I agree this wood is hard. I'm seeing it sell for $2.00 less a board foot
but I guess if you figure new tools needed and planner blade dulled it's not
much cheaper at all. My wife wants a small table(18') in the foyer so I may look
at using this. The rest of the furniture is dark so I was going to use walnut.
thanks

"
Posted to rec.woodworking
Ron Ron is offline

I'll bet your jatoba / walnut / maple cutting boards look great with the
contrasting colors! Regards --

Try swapping the walnut for purpleheart, made several with that combination
that turned or really well.

Ron