Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Is this odd?

I've never heard of a nine inch saw before. Never saw blades for sale
anywhere either.

Is this Rockwell saw proprietary like the old Tandy stuff or do/did
others make a nine inch saw?
http://newjersey.craigslist.org/tls/286378426.html

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 2, 7:55 am, "RayV" wrote:
I've never heard of a nine inch saw before. Never saw blades for sale
anywhere either.

Is this Rockwell saw proprietary like the old Tandy stuff or do/did
others make a nine inch saw?http://newjersey.craigslist.org/tls/286378426.html

Wow, that one looks a lot nicer than my 9" rockwell saw. The wings
look especially nice and hefty.

As for blades, I'm using a Hitachi 8.5" miter saw blade, and I've not
had any problems functionality-wise.

If you're looking at buying it, I can certainly vouch for the
viability of a 9" table saw.

-Nathan

Posted to rec.woodworking

My dad used to have a 9" Craftsman TS. It was probably 60's vintage,
perhaps earlier. It was not crap. It was a solid, although smallish (by
modern 10" Contractor saw standards) saw.

"RayV" wrote in message
ups.com...
I've never heard of a nine inch saw before. Never saw blades for sale
anywhere either.

Is this Rockwell saw proprietary like the old Tandy stuff or do/did
others make a nine inch saw?
http://newjersey.craigslist.org/tls/286378426.html

Posted to rec.woodworking

About 30 years ago, there was a really nifty Hitachi 9" table saw that
was the mother to all portable table saws. It had a good fence,
reasonably sized table with some kind of slick coating on it, and the
top was thick aluminum/magnesium. Many of the custom trim guys had
them (that's where I saw them) as well as wood floor guys (remember
when wood floors were all 3/4 to 7/8" real wood?). 9" blades were
purchased at the local contracting store or at Sears.

It was big, bulky, heavy, solid and expensive. But at that time, the
only game in town. All those guys that had it loved the saw, and I
distinctly remember that being one of the tools I never saw in the
pawnshops when we had work slowdowns.

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2 Mar 2007 04:55:37 -0800, "RayV" wrote:

I've never heard of a nine inch saw before. Never saw blades for sale
anywhere either.

Is this Rockwell saw proprietary like the old Tandy stuff or do/did
others make a nine inch saw?
http://newjersey.craigslist.org/tls/286378426.html

Not "odd", just old.:-)
I have a Delta 9" table saw that I would not part with. It dates back to the
early 1950s. It replaced my father's 1940s vintage 9" Delta. Blades are not
always the easiest things to find, and I have been known to use a 10" blade.

It, of course is not my only table saw (now), but for many years it was. Its
main roll in life today, is for dado work. By doing this, I can use my 10"
Grizzly for cutting and don't have to continually swap blades.

__________________
Bill Waller
New Eagle, PA

Posted to rec.woodworking

RayV wrote:
I've never heard of a nine inch saw before. Never saw blades for sale
anywhere either.

Is this Rockwell saw proprietary like the old Tandy stuff or do/did
others make a nine inch saw?
http://newjersey.craigslist.org/tls/286378426.html

I have a Craftsman 9" Radial Arm Saw that I bought in '73 when the model
was discontinued. It has served me well for almost 34 years now. Back
then the Craftsman table & Radial arm saws were made by Emerson Electric.

--Steve
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 02 Mar 2007 04:55:37 -0800, RayV wrote:

I've never heard of a nine inch saw before. Never saw blades for sale
anywhere either.

Is this Rockwell saw proprietary like the old Tandy stuff or do/did
others make a nine inch saw?
http://newjersey.craigslist.org/tls/286378426.html

Just bought a 9" Rockwell radial arm saw. From what I could gather
Rockwell invented the "electric miter saw" but didn't profit from it by
not applying for a patent. I had some difficulty finding a 9" blade for it
at first and was disappointed, but eventually noticed they really are
everywhere, made by several manufacturers. You just need to dig into the
catalogs. You won't find them at HD or Lowes despite one of those big box
stores showing a 9" blade in their online catalog.

The blade I got was a Tri-Tek #4490301, 9" 30 teeth, Pro Grade, tungsten
carbide tips. Cost around $20-25 at Amazon.com. Just go to amazon.com and
search on: tri-tek 9" blade. Not sure how this translates to a table saw,
but this miter saw is really excellent. Very powerful and I'm impressed
with the cutting quality after putting on the new blade.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 2, 7:55 am, "RayV" wrote:
I've never heard of a nine inch saw before. Never saw blades for sale
anywhere either.

Is this Rockwell saw proprietary like the old Tandy stuff or do/did
others make a nine inch saw?http://newjersey.craigslist.org/tls/286378426.html

I had that same model, upgrade from a circular saw bolted upside down
to a sheet of plywood. Flexible sheet metal top. Broke the blade
height adjuster -- essentially a piece of all-thread and a hex nut --
at the spot welds. Not worth repairing, especially since 9" blades
are not common even in combination grind. Gutted it, saved the
handwheels, motor (not a bad one for a universal), and base, which
looks useful for holding a grinder. Replaced it with a Delta CS,
tricked
out and tuned up like a Swiss watch.

Save your money. If you're patient, a good cast iron contractor's
saw will pop up on c-list for your $100.