Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Homemade disk sander?

I have a 1/2 HP motor with a 1/2" shaft. I use it for all sort of
purposes by attaching wire brushes, buffing wheels to it, etc. Also a
diamond bringing wheel with diamond layer on the outer rim.

What I would also like is to find some sort of a "disk sander
attachment", basically a plate that would go on a 1/2" spindle and be
tightened with an allen wrench. Alternatively it would be a wheel that
would go on a wheel arbor adapter (which I also have).

My question is, what are these discs called officially (disc sanding
attachment? sanding plate? etc) and what size would you recommend for
a 1/2 HP motor. Seems like 8" would make sense.

thanks

Posted to rec.woodworking

If it were a lathe, it would be called a faceplate. Might want to
post a query on rec.crafts.woodturning to see if someone there could
help.

Me, I have a 12" sanding jig for my lathe. It's plywood. Can you
bolt a plywood disk to an adapter?
Posted to rec.woodworking

snip
My question is, what are these discs called officially (disc sanding
attachment? sanding plate? etc) and what size would you recommend for
a 1/2 HP motor. Seems like 8" would make sense.

thanks

9" is standard, you can buy disks that size or cut them from 9 X 12
sheets, plans for a sander using a vee-pulley and plywood disk he
http://benchnotes.com/DISK%20SANDER%20/Disk_Sander.html
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 23 Feb 2007 11:38:42 -0500, DJ Delorie wrote:

If it were a lathe, it would be called a faceplate. Might want to
post a query on rec.crafts.woodturning to see if someone there could
help.

Me, I have a 12" sanding jig for my lathe. It's plywood. Can you
bolt a plywood disk to an adapter?

Yes, I think that it would be better to use a bigger motor for this
application. I have a 2 HP three phase motor. I could buy a $11 pulley
from McMaster and bolt a plywood disc to that pulley. Then I would
have a more serious sander (with ability to use this motor for other
purposes also).

See McMaster item 6245K57 for example.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 23 Feb 2007 16:46:32 GMT, Frank Campbell wrote:
snip
My question is, what are these discs called officially (disc sanding
attachment? sanding plate? etc) and what size would you recommend for
a 1/2 HP motor. Seems like 8" would make sense.

thanks

9" is standard, you can buy disks that size or cut them from 9 X 12
sheets, plans for a sander using a vee-pulley and plywood disk he
http://benchnotes.com/DISK%20SANDER%20/Disk_Sander.html

Great plan, I had something similar in mind. Now I have to decide on
1/2 HP single phase vs 2 HP three phase (and size, also).

Posted to rec.woodworking

Something you may want to look at ,assuming that you have an arbor adapter
(5/8 in.), is a "table saw adapter", such as the one that Price-Cutter has.
It is a 10' disc with sticky back sanding discs. I bought a small second
hand table saw from Craig's List and used the disc as a permanent sander.
You might check out PriceCutter.com, item #510-1000, about $35.00. Can shoot
you a pic if interested, or post on ABPW
Bill
"Ignoramus9377" wrote in message
I have a 1/2 HP motor with a 1/2" shaft. I use it for all sort of
purposes by attaching wire brushes, buffing wheels to it, etc. Also a
diamond bringing wheel with diamond layer on the outer rim.

What I would also like is to find some sort of a "disk sander
attachment", basically a plate that would go on a 1/2" spindle and be
tightened with an allen wrench. Alternatively it would be a wheel that
would go on a wheel arbor adapter (which I also have).

My question is, what are these discs called officially (disc sanding
attachment? sanding plate? etc) and what size would you recommend for
a 1/2 HP motor. Seems like 8" would make sense.

thanks

Posted to rec.woodworking

Much cheaper at woodcraft:

http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?FamilyID=1809

-Leuf

On Fri, 23 Feb 2007 16:56:58 GMT, "Bill Hall"
wrote:

Something you may want to look at ,assuming that you have an arbor adapter
(5/8 in.), is a "table saw adapter", such as the one that Price-Cutter has.
It is a 10' disc with sticky back sanding discs. I bought a small second
hand table saw from Craig's List and used the disc as a permanent sander.
You might check out PriceCutter.com, item #510-1000, about $35.00. Can shoot
you a pic if interested, or post on ABPW
Bill
"Ignoramus9377" wrote in message
m...
I have a 1/2 HP motor with a 1/2" shaft. I use it for all sort of
purposes by attaching wire brushes, buffing wheels to it, etc. Also a
diamond bringing wheel with diamond layer on the outer rim.

What I would also like is to find some sort of a "disk sander
attachment", basically a plate that would go on a 1/2" spindle and be
tightened with an allen wrench. Alternatively it would be a wheel that
would go on a wheel arbor adapter (which I also have).

My question is, what are these discs called officially (disc sanding
attachment? sanding plate? etc) and what size would you recommend for
a 1/2 HP motor. Seems like 8" would make sense.

thanks

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 23 Feb 2007 16:56:58 GMT, Bill Hall wrote:
Something you may want to look at ,assuming that you have an arbor adapter
(5/8 in.), is a "table saw adapter", such as the one that Price-Cutter has.
It is a 10' disc with sticky back sanding discs. I bought a small second
hand table saw from Craig's List and used the disc as a permanent sander.
You might check out PriceCutter.com, item #510-1000, about $35.00. Can shoot
you a pic if interested, or post on ABPW

Bill, how do you attach one to a shaft?

Posted to rec.woodworking
tom tom is offline

On Feb 23, 11:08 am, Ignoramus9377
wrote:
On Fri, 23 Feb 2007 16:56:58 GMT, Bill Hall wrote:
Something you may want to look at ,assuming that you have an arbor adapter
(5/8 in.), is a "table saw adapter", such as the one that Price-Cutter has.
It is a 10' disc with sticky back sanding discs. I bought a small second
hand table saw from Craig's List and used the disc as a permanent sander.
You might check out PriceCutter.com, item #510-1000, about $35.00. Can shoot
you a pic if interested, or post on ABPW

Bill, how do you attach one to a shaft?

Maybe this'll help your design: http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=894
Tom

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
On Fri, 23 Feb 2007 16:56:58 GMT, Bill Hall wrote:
Something you may want to look at ,assuming that you have an arbor adapter
(5/8 in.), is a "table saw adapter", such as the one that Price-Cutter has.
It is a 10' disc with sticky back sanding discs. I bought a small second
hand table saw from Craig's List and used the disc as a permanent sander.
You might check out PriceCutter.com, item #510-1000, about $35.00. Can shoot
you a pic if interested, or post on ABPW

Bill, how do you attach one to a shaft?

Maybe this'll help your design: http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=894
Tom

It is perfect, just what I was looking for. I think that item 09L33 is
the right one for me and will be a 100% solution to my problemn. I
will have a little 1/2HP disc sander attachment without wasting space
on a separate tool.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
On Fri, 23 Feb 2007 16:56:58 GMT, Bill Hall wrote:
Something you may want to look at ,assuming that you have an arbor adapter
(5/8 in.), is a "table saw adapter", such as the one that Price-Cutter has.
It is a 10' disc with sticky back sanding discs. I bought a small second
hand table saw from Craig's List and used the disc as a permanent sander.
You might check out PriceCutter.com, item #510-1000, about $35.00. Can shoot
you a pic if interested, or post on ABPW

You may also want to look at a Shopsmith disk sanding attachment. It
uses a 5/8" shaft, but an adaptor sleeve for 1/2" should be easy to
fabricate.

Like this one:
http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/c...andingdisc.htm

They are available all the time on ebay. I have one of the older
aluminum ones and I think they are better. Search ebay for Shopsmith
and you will probably find one going for $20.

Bob the Tomato

Homemade pin router and thickness sander Clifford Heath Woodworking 4 May 29th 06 12:57 AM
Homemade Stroke Sander j.b. miller Woodworking 2 February 2nd 06 04:41 PM
Homemade Disk Sander Dave Hill Woodworking 7 January 19th 06 07:38 PM
TS as Disk Sander nevems2 Woodworking 6 August 17th 05 04:48 AM
INSPIRATION - Homemade Thickness Sander J T Woodworking 1 January 21st 05 02:24 AM