DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Homemade disk sander? (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/193133-homemade-disk-sander.html)

Ignoramus9377 February 23rd 07 04:28 PM

Homemade disk sander?

I have a 1/2 HP motor with a 1/2" shaft. I use it for all sort of
purposes by attaching wire brushes, buffing wheels to it, etc. Also a
diamond bringing wheel with diamond layer on the outer rim.

What I would also like is to find some sort of a "disk sander
attachment", basically a plate that would go on a 1/2" spindle and be
tightened with an allen wrench. Alternatively it would be a wheel that
would go on a wheel arbor adapter (which I also have).

My question is, what are these discs called officially (disc sanding
attachment? sanding plate? etc) and what size would you recommend for
a 1/2 HP motor. Seems like 8" would make sense.

thanks

DJ Delorie February 23rd 07 04:38 PM

Homemade disk sander?

If it were a lathe, it would be called a faceplate. Might want to
post a query on rec.crafts.woodturning to see if someone there could
help.

Me, I have a 12" sanding jig for my lathe. It's plywood. Can you
bolt a plywood disk to an adapter?

Frank Campbell February 23rd 07 04:46 PM

Homemade disk sander?

snip
My question is, what are these discs called officially (disc sanding
attachment? sanding plate? etc) and what size would you recommend for
a 1/2 HP motor. Seems like 8" would make sense.

thanks

9" is standard, you can buy disks that size or cut them from 9 X 12
sheets, plans for a sander using a vee-pulley and plywood disk he
http://benchnotes.com/DISK%20SANDER%20/Disk_Sander.html

Ignoramus9377 February 23rd 07 04:48 PM

Homemade disk sander?

On 23 Feb 2007 11:38:42 -0500, DJ Delorie wrote:

If it were a lathe, it would be called a faceplate. Might want to
post a query on rec.crafts.woodturning to see if someone there could
help.

Me, I have a 12" sanding jig for my lathe. It's plywood. Can you
bolt a plywood disk to an adapter?

Yes, I think that it would be better to use a bigger motor for this
application. I have a 2 HP three phase motor. I could buy a $11 pulley
from McMaster and bolt a plywood disc to that pulley. Then I would
have a more serious sander (with ability to use this motor for other
purposes also).

See McMaster item 6245K57 for example.

Ignoramus9377 February 23rd 07 04:53 PM

Homemade disk sander?

On Fri, 23 Feb 2007 16:46:32 GMT, Frank Campbell wrote:
snip
My question is, what are these discs called officially (disc sanding
attachment? sanding plate? etc) and what size would you recommend for
a 1/2 HP motor. Seems like 8" would make sense.

thanks

9" is standard, you can buy disks that size or cut them from 9 X 12
sheets, plans for a sander using a vee-pulley and plywood disk he
http://benchnotes.com/DISK%20SANDER%20/Disk_Sander.html

Great plan, I had something similar in mind. Now I have to decide on
1/2 HP single phase vs 2 HP three phase (and size, also).

Bill Hall February 23rd 07 04:56 PM

Homemade disk sander?

Something you may want to look at ,assuming that you have an arbor adapter
(5/8 in.), is a "table saw adapter", such as the one that Price-Cutter has.
It is a 10' disc with sticky back sanding discs. I bought a small second
hand table saw from Craig's List and used the disc as a permanent sander.
You might check out PriceCutter.com, item #510-1000, about $35.00. Can shoot
you a pic if interested, or post on ABPW
Bill

Leuf February 23rd 07 05:55 PM

Homemade disk sander?

Much cheaper at woodcraft:

http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?FamilyID=1809

-Leuf

On Fri, 23 Feb 2007 16:56:58 GMT, "Bill Hall"
wrote:

Something you may want to look at ,assuming that you have an arbor adapter
(5/8 in.), is a "table saw adapter", such as the one that Price-Cutter has.
It is a 10' disc with sticky back sanding discs. I bought a small second
hand table saw from Craig's List and used the disc as a permanent sander.
You might check out PriceCutter.com, item #510-1000, about $35.00. Can shoot
you a pic if interested, or post on ABPW
Bill
m...

Bill Hall February 23rd 07 07:07 PM

Homemade disk sander?

You are so right.......... Could have bought some more sanding discs and
still had beer money left over :). Live and learn. Thnx
Bill

wrote:

Something you may want to look at ,assuming that you have an arbor adapter
(5/8 in.), is a "table saw adapter", such as the one that Price-Cutter
has.
It is a 10' disc with sticky back sanding discs. I bought a small second
hand table saw from Craig's List and used the disc as a permanent sander.
You might check out PriceCutter.com, item #510-1000, about $35.00. Can
shoot
you a pic if interested, or post on ABPW
Bill
om...

Ignoramus9377 February 23rd 07 07:08 PM

Homemade disk sander?

On Fri, 23 Feb 2007 16:56:58 GMT, Bill Hall wrote:
Something you may want to look at ,assuming that you have an arbor adapter
(5/8 in.), is a "table saw adapter", such as the one that Price-Cutter has.
It is a 10' disc with sticky back sanding discs. I bought a small second
hand table saw from Craig's List and used the disc as a permanent sander.
You might check out PriceCutter.com, item #510-1000, about $35.00. Can shoot
you a pic if interested, or post on ABPW

Bill, how do you attach one to a shaft?

tom February 23rd 07 07:16 PM

Homemade disk sander?

On Feb 23, 11:08 am, Ignoramus9377
wrote:
On Fri, 23 Feb 2007 16:56:58 GMT, Bill Hall wrote:
Something you may want to look at ,assuming that you have an arbor adapter
(5/8 in.), is a "table saw adapter", such as the one that Price-Cutter has.
It is a 10' disc with sticky back sanding discs. I bought a small second
hand table saw from Craig's List and used the disc as a permanent sander.
You might check out PriceCutter.com, item #510-1000, about $35.00. Can shoot
you a pic if interested, or post on ABPW

Bill, how do you attach one to a shaft?

Maybe this'll help your design: http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=894
Tom

Ignoramus9377 February 23rd 07 07:20 PM

Homemade disk sander?

wrote:
On Fri, 23 Feb 2007 16:56:58 GMT, Bill Hall wrote:
Something you may want to look at ,assuming that you have an arbor adapter
(5/8 in.), is a "table saw adapter", such as the one that Price-Cutter has.
It is a 10' disc with sticky back sanding discs. I bought a small second
hand table saw from Craig's List and used the disc as a permanent sander.
You might check out PriceCutter.com, item #510-1000, about $35.00. Can shoot
you a pic if interested, or post on ABPW

Bill, how do you attach one to a shaft?

Maybe this'll help your design: http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=894
Tom

It is perfect, just what I was looking for. I think that item 09L33 is
the right one for me and will be a 100% solution to my problemn. I
will have a little 1/2HP disc sander attachment without wasting space
on a separate tool.

Bob the Tomato February 28th 07 10:54 AM

Homemade disk sander?

wrote:
On Fri, 23 Feb 2007 16:56:58 GMT, Bill Hall wrote:
Something you may want to look at ,assuming that you have an arbor adapter
(5/8 in.), is a "table saw adapter", such as the one that Price-Cutter has.
It is a 10' disc with sticky back sanding discs. I bought a small second
hand table saw from Craig's List and used the disc as a permanent sander.
You might check out PriceCutter.com, item #510-1000, about $35.00. Can shoot
you a pic if interested, or post on ABPW

You may also want to look at a Shopsmith disk sanding attachment. It
uses a 5/8" shaft, but an adaptor sleeve for 1/2" should be easy to
fabricate.

Like this one:
http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/c...andingdisc.htm

They are available all the time on ebay. I have one of the older
aluminum ones and I think they are better. Search ebay for Shopsmith
and you will probably find one going for $20.

Bob the Tomato