Posted to rec.woodworking

Default ping LRod : OT thanks for the tool $$$$

Thanks to the Woodbutcher I now have more money to spend on tools and
wood and you can too.

A lot easier than you think. You can try LRod's way
http://tinyurl.com/2pta6x

or buy a short book that explains it and makes you feel like an idiot
for not doing it sooner
http://tinyurl.com/2woegg

Should be able to buy a bandsaw by the end of the month with all of
the money.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 20 Feb 2007 11:09:03 -0800, "RayV" wrote:

Thanks to the Woodbutcher I now have more money to spend on tools and
wood and you can too.

A lot easier than you think. You can try LRod's way
http://tinyurl.com/2pta6x

or buy a short book that explains it and makes you feel like an idiot
for not doing it sooner
http://tinyurl.com/2woegg

Should be able to buy a bandsaw by the end of the month with all of
the money.

I was worried at first that you were funnin' me, but after taking a
look at the Amazon link (#2) it appears (without actually reading the
book) that many of the things in it are very similar to what's on my
page (link 1).

Congratulations. Keep doing it. One day at a time. In one month will
be the 31st anniversary of my quitting a 2½ pack/day habit. I haven't
so much as touched one in the intervening time.

And thank you for letting me know you got something out of my article.

--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net

care to correspond with you anyway.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"LRod" wrote in message
news

Congratulations. Keep doing it. One day at a time. In one month will
be the 31st anniversary of my quitting a 2½ pack/day habit. I haven't
so much as touched one in the intervening time.

Good for you LRod. Looks like you certainly have kicked the habit. But,
dang!, how old are you???? ;~)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 21 Feb 2007 22:30:17 GMT, "Leon"
wrote:

"LRod" wrote in message
news

Congratulations. Keep doing it. One day at a time. In one month will
be the 31st anniversary of my quitting a 2½ pack/day habit. I haven't
so much as touched one in the intervening time.

Good for you LRod. Looks like you certainly have kicked the habit. But,
dang!, how old are you???? ;~)

61, just last month. Are you saying I sound like a young pup?

--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net

care to correspond with you anyway.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"LRod" wrote in message

Good for you LRod. Looks like you certainly have kicked the habit. But,
dang!, how old are you???? ;~)

61, just last month. Are you saying I sound like a young pup?

Yes, you are young. Much younger than if you still smoked.

Posted to rec.woodworking

LRod wrote:

Congratulations. Keep doing it. One day at a time. In one month will
be the 31st anniversary of my quitting a 2½ pack/day habit. I haven't
so much as touched one in the intervening time.

And thank you for letting me know you got something out of my article.

I've got right at 10 years (for the second time).

Just not having to earn $300 a month in order to feed my habit is a lot
of weight off my back.

The last time I missed a days work for a respiratory infection I had
Legionnaires Disease ... not smokers bronchitis. I missed less than a
week and was back in the saddle feeling fit the following Monday.

This time last year I was this close to dead. But I had the reserves
to fight back.

Now when I want to waste some money, I go to Woodcraft. ;-)

Bill
rascal less in the world.
Thomas Carlyle (1795 - 1881)
http://nmwoodworks.com

---
Virus Database (VPS): 000715-1, 02/21/2007
Tested on: 2/21/2007 5:46:25 PM

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 21, 4:12 pm, LRod wrote:

I was worried at first that you were funnin' me, but after taking a
look at the Amazon link (#2) it appears (without actually reading the
book) that many of the things in it are very similar to what's on my
page (link 1).

The book takes a little longer than you to get to the point but the
point is the same. He goes through every excuse/reason why you smoke
and cuts them down one by one. Then at the end you just stop smoking
by making a verbal commitment.

BTW smokes are $6.50 a pack in NJ so I was lighting $13.00 a day on
fire!

Posted to rec.woodworking

"RayV" wrote in message

BTW smokes are $6.50 a pack in NJ so I was lighting $13.00 a day on
fire!

Jeeezuzz!! Makes you wanna light up, then quit again and justify buying more
tools with the "savings"!

Seriously ... that a helluva incentive for both personal and financial
health.

I remember in England back in the early 60's they were almost that high, so
I took to rolling my own. Must be a big market for the roll-ur-own supplies
these days?

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 2/20/07

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote in message

I remember in England back in the early 60's they were almost that high,
so
I took to rolling my own. Must be a big market for the roll-ur-own
supplies
these days?

;~) I strongly suspect that the ones doing the "roll-ur-own" thing are
using a much more expensive type of smoking ingredient.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message

"Swingman" wrote in message

I took to rolling my own. Must be a big market for the roll-ur-own
supplies these days?

;~) I strongly suspect that the ones doing the "roll-ur-own" thing are
using a much more expensive type of smoking ingredient.

You mean you roll that stuff? We'd just put the whole lot in a red hot
skillet and stand in the kitchen breathe.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 2/20/07

Posted to rec.woodworking

"RayV" wrote in message

Should be able to buy a bandsaw by the end of the month with all of
the money.

When I quit I figured I was saving about $1500/year, and the above was one
of the perks I kept reminding myself with.

Going on 17 years after quitting a 30 year, three pack a day habit, so it's
been a while ... just how much are cigarettes these days?

In any event, keep it up ... it's most definitely worth the effort. Just
watch the weight!

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 2/20/07

Posted to rec.woodworking

Subject

SFWIW, have never tried any drugs except nicotine and alcohol, at a very
early age I might add.

IMHO, nicotine is the most addictive drug on the planet.

Quit almost 30 years ago, got tired of paying a higher price every week.
It was/is probably the most difficult thing I have ever done.

To this day, I freely admit to being a recovering nicotine addict.

Having said the above I'm worse than stink on crap when it comes to tobacco.

You DO NOT want me on your case.

I can smell that foul weed from a 100 ft in a wind storm, and I detest it.

To all of you who are fighting the battle, keep up the fight, one hour
at a time.

Just think, due to your efforts, your SO doesn't have to kiss an ashtray.

Lew
Posted to rec.woodworking

Lew Hodgett wrote:
Subject

SFWIW, have never tried any drugs except nicotine and alcohol, at a very
early age I might add.

IMHO, nicotine is the most addictive drug on the planet.

Quit almost 30 years ago, got tired of paying a higher price every week.
It was/is probably the most difficult thing I have ever done.

To this day, I freely admit to being a recovering nicotine addict.

Having said the above I'm worse than stink on crap when it comes to
tobacco.

You DO NOT want me on your case.

I can smell that foul weed from a 100 ft in a wind storm, and I detest it.

To all of you who are fighting the battle, keep up the fight, one hour
at a time.

Just think, due to your efforts, your SO doesn't have to kiss an ashtray.

Lew

Yeah ... I can smell a cigar headed the other way in traffic. I used to
inhale the suckers. Now, they just stink.

A few days ago the Missus & I went into a local coney island joint
(Larry's on Telegraph, if you're in the neighborhood) and had to sit in
the smoking section for lack of other seats. When we sat down it was
okay because the booths nearest us were empty. Just about the time our
food arrived, somebody sat down behind us and lit up.

Yecchhhh. But we were in 'his' section so we just ate quick and got out.

From now on, if there are no seats in the non-smoking section, I have
decided to just keep moving on. As a smoker I had no idea how repulsive
cigarette smoke is to a non-smoker. Now I know.

Bill

is worth a **** unless backed up with enough genuine information to make
him really know what he's talking about.

H. P. Lovecraft

---
Virus Database (VPS): 000715-1, 02/21/2007
Tested on: 2/22/2007 12:56:43 AM

Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill in Detroit wrote:

A few days ago the Missus & I went into a local coney island joint
(Larry's on Telegraph, if you're in the neighborhood) and had to sit in
the smoking section for lack of other seats.

SMOKING SECTION------------SMOKING SECTION

When you folks in the motor city going to join the real world?G

You want to smoke, GO OUTSIDE.

Seriously, when I came to SoCal in 1990, restaurants had smoking and no
smoking sections, but then so did airplanes.

All that is long gone. Matter of fact, it is even illegal to smoke
outside in certain parts of SoCal, which includes the beaches.

How times have changed.

We have a L/A city counsel man to thank. For him it was a life long
fight to get smoke free environments.

Hang in there, non smoking is coming to your area, if it isn't already
there.

Lew
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Bill in Detroit" wrote in message

Yeah ... I can smell a cigar headed the other way in traffic.

I believe it. Walking, I've noticed a number of times that I could smell
that lingering, stale cigarette smoke smell from the interior of a car
passing on the opposite side of the street.

A common enough comment that it's a pretty sure bet that ex-smokers become
overly sensitized to the smell.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 2/20/07

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote in
:

"Bill in Detroit" wrote in message

Yeah ... I can smell a cigar headed the other way in traffic.

I believe it. Walking, I've noticed a number of times that I could
smell that lingering, stale cigarette smoke smell from the interior of
a car passing on the opposite side of the street.

A common enough comment that it's a pretty sure bet that ex-smokers
become overly sensitized to the smell.

It's not just former smokers. Never smokers (if I can use that term) have
the same sensitivity at times.

Patriarch
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 22 Feb 2007 00:56:42 -0500, Bill in Detroit
wrote:

Lew Hodgett wrote:
[...]

I thought New York had outlawed all smoking in restaurants.

Yecchhhh. But we were in 'his' section so we just ate quick and got out.

From now on, if there are no seats in the non-smoking section, I have
decided to just keep moving on. As a smoker I had no idea how repulsive
cigarette smoke is to a non-smoker. Now I know.

Bill

Posted to rec.woodworking

Interesting point...

I "know" you can't smoke in Manhattan .."anywhere"
and I don't believe you can in office building anymore.

I thought New York had outlawed all smoking in restaurants.

Posted to rec.woodworking

J. Clarke wrote:

A few days ago the Missus & I went into a local coney island joint
(Larry's on Telegraph, if you're in the neighborhood) and had to sit in
the smoking section for lack of other seats. When we sat down it was
okay because the booths nearest us were empty. Just about the time our
food arrived, somebody sat down behind us and lit up.

I thought New York had outlawed all smoking in restaurants.

Yecchhhh. But we were in 'his' section so we just ate quick and got out.

From now on, if there are no seats in the non-smoking section, I have
decided to just keep moving on. As a smoker I had no idea how repulsive
cigarette smoke is to a non-smoker. Now I know.

Bill

It can be a tough call, but, on balance, I hope that they have. However,
it won't do me any good in Detroit.

A FEW local restaurants are totally non-smoking. They've found that
their business did not dry up and blow away. And their costs of doing
business went down. Amigos in Taylor (a suburb of Detroit) is one that
we frequent with this policy. In fact, I think they stopped serving
alcohol, too. SLIGHTLY less busy on a Friday than previously ... but
sometimes they still have a waiting line.

Bill

is worth a **** unless backed up with enough genuine information to make
him really know what he's talking about.

H. P. Lovecraft

---
Virus Database (VPS): 000716-1, 02/22/2007
Tested on: 2/23/2007 1:34:55 AM

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 21, 7:23 pm, "Swingman" wrote:

Going on 17 years after quitting a 30 year, three pack a day habit, so it's
been a while ... just how much are cigarettes these days?

de-lurk

Depends a lot on where you live. Here in AZ "name" brands go for over
$4.00 a pack, I think, been a while since I looked. The "sin tax" on
tobacco is a large component of the price. According to the American
Lung Association, the federal excise tax on tobacco is $0.39 per pack,
and the state taxes range from $0.07 in SC to $2.46 in RI. And then
there's the other cost - the Center for Disease Control estimates that
smoking-related health care costs average $8.44 per pack sold in the
US.

Quit 16 years ago - 2 powerful motivators. Wife just announced she was
pregnant with our daughter (15 now). Also, had just spent an
uncomfortable few weeks watching as my wife's uncle struggled and died
from complications of smoking-related emphysema - made a big
impression on me.

re-lurk

Jerry

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message

Depends a lot on where you live. Here in AZ "name" brands go for over
$4.00 a pack, I think, been a while since I looked.

Son of a gun! That over $4K year at my addiction rate back then ... indeed,
that'll buy a lot of wood/tools.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 2/20/07

Posted to rec.woodworking

I tried to have my last smoke after 45 years of nastiness on Xmas Eve
2006 - a present to my wife (and myself).

I've bounced off the wagon twice since then - total of 2 cigarettes
and PO'd at myself each time.

Money is not the driver, it's self respect.

Working on it, one day at a time.

SWMBO just completed 500 days smoke free after 40 years of smoking. No
way I can admit she's stronger than I - she's JUST a FEMALE!

aagh!

Tom

On 20 Feb 2007 11:09:03 -0800, "RayV" wrote:

Thanks to the Woodbutcher I now have more money to spend on tools and
wood and you can too.

A lot easier than you think. You can try LRod's way
http://tinyurl.com/2pta6x

or buy a short book that explains it and makes you feel like an idiot
for not doing it sooner
http://tinyurl.com/2woegg

Should be able to buy a bandsaw by the end of the month with all of
the money.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Tom B wrote:
I tried to have my last smoke after 45 years of nastiness on Xmas Eve
2006 - a present to my wife (and myself).

I've bounced off the wagon twice since then - total of 2 cigarettes
and PO'd at myself each time.

Money is not the driver, it's self respect.

Working on it, one day at a time.

SWMBO just completed 500 days smoke free after 40 years of smoking. No
way I can admit she's stronger than I - she's JUST a FEMALE!

aagh!

Tom

When I quit drinking and that would happen, the only penalty I assessed
myself was to start the counting over. My last drink was in August of
1978. I haven't had to reset that calendar since then.

There were several other calendars. They are doing just fine, too.

Bill

is worth a **** unless backed up with enough genuine information to make
him really know what he's talking about.

H. P. Lovecraft

---
Virus Database (VPS): 000716-1, 02/22/2007
Tested on: 2/23/2007 1:49:16 AM

Posted to rec.woodworking

"RayV" wrote in message
oups.com...
Thanks to the Woodbutcher I now have more money to spend on tools and
wood and you can too.

A lot easier than you think. You can try LRod's way
http://tinyurl.com/2pta6x

or buy a short book that explains it and makes you feel like an idiot
for not doing it sooner
http://tinyurl.com/2woegg

Should be able to buy a bandsaw by the end of the month with all of
the money.

I remember quite well when I quit smoking - stopped a 2.5 pack a day habit
on January 18, 1988. that was the day they took out the upper lobe of my
right lung. Made a believer out of me and it's now almost 20 years later and
I'm still kicking!

Vic

Powered crimping tool equivalent to COPALUM tool Harry Muscle Home Repair 23 May 1st 16 07:31 PM
LRod, everything OK? LRod Woodworking 0 December 27th 06 02:49 PM
LRod, everything OK? Lew Hodgett Woodworking 2 December 27th 06 12:24 PM
Fly by night PING PING Shopdog Woodworking 6 May 18th 06 04:08 AM
Iscar Parting Tool and Tool Block Question... Steve Metalworking 6 June 27th 04 08:48 AM