Chris Merrill

Default router bits in a shaper?

My BIL inherited a Craftsman shaper from his father (model 113.239390)
and is trying to track down a replacement spindle that would allow
the use of router bits...

Anyone know if this can even be done? If so, where would I start
looking? I checked the sears site - it doesn't list such a part
for his model.

Thanks for any help...I'm trying to score a few points with him
so I can make use of the shaper

--
************************************
Chris Merrill

(remove the ZZZ to contact me)
************************************

Mark & Juanita

In article , st.ng3
@christophermerrill.net says...
My BIL inherited a Craftsman shaper from his father (model 113.239390)
and is trying to track down a replacement spindle that would allow
the use of router bits...

Anyone know if this can even be done? If so, where would I start
looking? I checked the sears site - it doesn't list such a part
for his model.

It can be done, but I don't know about availability for Craftsman. If
the shaper is in good shape, if all else fails, you can do what Krenov
did and have a machinist make a spindle to accomodate router bits

Thanks for any help...I'm trying to score a few points with him
so I can make use of the shaper

Wilson Lamb

I have one and like it. You can get nice cutters from Woodline.com fairly
resaonably (carbide) and a few places still sell the HSS cutters really
cheap. They are good for learning. The Woodlines are 3/4" with 1/2"
bushings. You can use them on a bigger machine later. Griz has them also
and may have some 1/2" too.

I'd build a simple router table before messing with the spindle. The shaper
is too slow for the bits to work well anyway. BTW, those shapers sell at
our club auction for $80-120.

Wilson
"Chris Merrill" wrote in message
.com...
My BIL inherited a Craftsman shaper from his father (model 113.239390)
and is trying to track down a replacement spindle that would allow
the use of router bits...

Anyone know if this can even be done? If so, where would I start
looking? I checked the sears site - it doesn't list such a part
for his model.

Thanks for any help...I'm trying to score a few points with him
so I can make use of the shaper

--
************************************
Chris Merrill

(remove the ZZZ to contact me)
************************************

Rob

I haven't used a shaper in many years so correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't
a shaper turn in the opposite direction of a router?

I would think this would cause problems if you use a router bit.

Rob

"Chris Merrill" wrote in message
.com...
My BIL inherited a Craftsman shaper from his father (model 113.239390)
and is trying to track down a replacement spindle that would allow
the use of router bits...

Anyone know if this can even be done? If so, where would I start
looking? I checked the sears site - it doesn't list such a part
for his model.

Thanks for any help...I'm trying to score a few points with him
so I can make use of the shaper

--
************************************
Chris Merrill

(remove the ZZZ to contact me)
************************************

Doug Winterburn

On Sun, 03 Aug 2003 17:59:11 -0500, Rob wrote:

I haven't used a shaper in many years so correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't
a shaper turn in the opposite direction of a router?

I would think this would cause problems if you use a router bit.

Most that I have seen have a reversing switch.

-Doug

Sharpening Router Bits Martin UK diy 2 February 14th 04 06:36 AM
Question about using a router PoP UK diy 6 January 5th 04 01:20 PM
For Sale: Carbide End Mills and Router Bits Tom Metalworking 0 January 2nd 04 04:50 AM
router table or shaper Unisaw A100 Woodworking 3 July 26th 03 04:14 AM
Vibration on 1/2" bits on Milwake 5615 router Leon Woodworking 1 July 24th 03 03:57 PM